Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flying internationally into the Osnabrück area

9 posts in this topic

Hello:

I need help figuering out which international airport would be better to arrive at, if I were to go to the town of Bohmte which is very close to the city of Osnabruck in the district of Niedersachsen.

I'm going down there from Boston to visit my girlfriend and I want to know which international airport would be best for me to arrive at...

So my girlfriend could then pick me up.

I did a bit of research and noticed that the city of Düsseldorf has an international airport.

but from what I discovered... it's about 2 and a 1/2 hours away from my girlfriends house and I know that it might cause a problem for her to drive that long of a distance.

is there maybe a train that I would be able to take upon my arrival that would then connect me to Osnabruck that you guys might know off?

and would it be difficult for a non-german speaker to aboard that train?

I assume a Taxi would definatly charge me an arm and a leg for that distance... but how about maybe a Bus?

any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

so you think Düsseldorf is the best airport to use?

I think I kind also heard that there's an international airport in Hannover which is about the same distance from my girlfriends house as Düsseldorf but since I"m not familiar with anything over there... I would like to see which one would perhaps make it easier for me.

I'm going to be traveling light... as I'm just going to go visit her for 2 weeks.

but I'm just scared of the language barrier. since I don't know German... I wouldnt want to end up somewhere that I'm not suppose to and waste even more time.

A train runs from the Düsseldorf Airport to the main station every ten minutes. From the main station, a high speed train (ICE) takes 1hr45 to Osnabruck, and costs about 35 € one way. Language is no problem when buying a ticket at the counter in D'dorf main station.

Edit: In fact, if I remember correctly, you can buy your train ticket to Osnabrück from the airport on a ticket machine using a credit card. They are all multilingual.

IMHO Duesseldorf is much more of an international airport than Hannover in the sense of having direct flights to US. The major airports for US flights are Frankfurt & Munich... Having spent the fisrt 4 days of this week in an office in Duesseldorf close to the airport and then driven up last evening to Hamburg I can say that two hours driving is realistic to Osnabuck & a taxi would cost an arm & a leg.

Despite the title "International" dont expect there to be transatlantic flights from Münster-Osnabruck.

You might want to consider flying into Frankfurt as there seems to be some connector flights between FRA & Münster-Osnabruck but frequency is probably not high so examine the connection times.

Either try to buy a ticket from Boston to Münster/Osnabrück airport as sometimes the connection flight within Germany does not add much to the cost of the flight. In case it does buy a ticket to Frankfurt (being the main international hub in Germany) and take a train from Frankfurt airport to Osnabrück. There seems to be a direct connection every two hours and many more connections which require changing trains once. Don't worry about taking the train. Both the personnel at the ticket office and on the train can speak English and in cross-country trains all stations are announced in German and English.

Site for researching train connections (in English)

Deutsche Bahn