Cinemas that show English-language movies

48 posts in this topic

I'll be moving to Hamburg 'properly' tomorrow.

Any idea if there is a cinema showing English speaking movies in Hamburg? Just slightly upset that I'll miss Harry Potter 5 when its premiering in Copenhagen tomorrow but it's moving day to Hamburg .. uurrgg!

Alik

End of March this year the Grindel cinema will be shut for good! It's really a shame to see the Grindel go and even though more people have started to come in over the last few months it seems all was too late for this great cinema.

report from Abendblatt

Is there an alternative? Does anyone know if there are other cinemas showing or planning to show movies in English??

No way! That's crap!

There are a few others that show films in "Original Version" with subtitles and you can search for them on Abendblatt's website:

Kinosearch

You need to select nur OV/ OmU option for Only Original Version or Original version with subtitles.

I like the Abaton, just off Grindelallee (Grindelhof bus stop on No. 4/5 bus). Its small and cosy and sometimes has films in English.

Real shame about the Grindel. Had some good nights there with friends. I think it was struggling to compete with the multiplex places. :(

I was wondering a long time ago how the place could keep going. Whenever we went, the place was nearly empty. I think they really failed to advertise it properly as THE place to watch movies in English without having subtitles flashed in your face. Then as a final desperate measure they started to show more films in German.

There's more money in selling the real estate than showing movies anyway.

Having lived in Hamburg for soooo long, I've seen too many cinemas closing down. It's really a shame about the Grindel.

I hope one of the multiplexes will show a heart for expats and for people who like to see original versions.

Never really understood why it didn't work out in Hamburg. When we were in Berlin for a few days we went to cinema there, I think it was Potsdamer Platz, the Sony Centre. They showed lots of English films. We went to a late show and when we were waiting to get in about 500 people came out of the cinema who had just watched Borat in English. Don't think that was all just expats...

There IS demand for it, look at the sneak previews, it was always full!

grmpf :angry:

I'm just wondering where I am going to be able to see the Sex and the City movie in English...

I'm just wondering where I am going to be able to see the Sex and the City movie in English...

The WHAT? Did I miss something? Note to self: apparently!

Come with us to Scotland in three weeks ;) - they might show it there...

edit: it makes me really sad that the Grindel closes down.

I've seen my first ever film there: Aristocats. Think I must have been six or so. My Granny took me, and we were both very excited. She booked the (what she thought) best seats for us, in the first row... Oh the stiff neck... :P

Oh yeah, there are quite a few people around thinking the best seats on the first row!

My poor neck :)

@Hammonia, What a cute story! The Sex and the City film comes out in May. Most movies I'd try in German, but this one I have to see in English. Let's figure out where to see it and maybe you, I, Steph and Britta can go see it.

So where is the closest place that I'll be able to see the "big" movies (Iron Man, The Dark Night, other movies that might not be based on comic books) in English?

i heard adver on the radio, according to my bad German UCI has sneak previews in original language. check their web-site to be sure.

cinemaxx also started sneak previews, but they say nothing about the lanuage.