Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Writing a letter to prove a marriage is authentic

7 posts in this topic

So, my best friend (Czech) who lives in the UK married her boyfriend (they have been together for a while) in Tunisia a couple weeks ago (He is from Tunisia, which is why they got married there). The plan was for her to fly back as she had to work. He had to wait a week or so longer for his new visa to come through. Well it did not. They (British home office or what ever it is called) are saying it is that they need to "prove" their relationship more. They think it is a marriage of convenience. I think it is only because he comes from a Muslim country, but that is beside the point. I have already sent her emails that she sent me over a year ago talking about how much she loved this guy and that he was "the one". She has provided all the stuff they have ask for but also her lawyer said it would help to have some letter from friends who are close and can testify to their relationship.

I have no ideas what to put in this letter.

Has anyone at all by chance had to do anything similar? Any suggestions.

The relationship is more genuine than most I have ever seen. They are in love and just want to be together and it is breaking her heart.

maybe start brainstorming around the question: why they are not a marriage of convenience?

Well, it seems pretty straight forward. I doubt they would really bother reading anything very long. Just state the facts:

-Your testifying on behalf of Ms X whom you've known her for X number of years in X capacity.

-Despite living in separate countries you've been in close contact with her via email, phone etc. and can testify to the strength of her relationship with Mr. X dating back to X date.

-You've provided copies of emails which provides a timeline (or something less clinical if you prefer) for their relationship. In the emails, she mentions: meeting him on X date/year, most emails thereafter mention him. Your emails chronicle her falling in love, meeting his friends, family, their engagement and her excitement about the wedding.

-As her friend you've been her sounding board and been privy to the relationship's progression. They have their ups and downs but she's clearly in love with this guy etc.

-You've also seen them together on X occasions and as you've said its one of the most genuine relationships you've seen.

-You'd be willing to provide further testimony answer any questions etc on their behalf blah blah blah.

Good luck

jml

The letter should probably list how long you have known of this relationship and include photocopies of any letter you have referring to it, before and after it began.

Of course unless the letters are dated and have the correct envelopes it's all a bit flimsy as evidence.

Well, it seems pretty straight forward. I doubt they would really bother reading anything very long. Just state the facts:

-Your testifying on behalf of Ms X whom you've known her for X number of years in X capacity.

-Despite living in separate countries you've been in close contact with her via email, phone etc. and can testify to the strength of her relationship with Mr. X dating back to X date.

-You've provided copies of emails which provides a timeline (or something less clinical if you prefer) for their relationship. In the emails, she mentions: meeting him on X date/year, most emails thereafter mention him. Your emails chronicle her falling in love, meeting his friends, family, their engagement and her excitement about the wedding.

-As her friend you've been her sounding board and been privy to the relationship's progression. They have their ups and downs but she's clearly in love with this guy etc.

-You've also seen them together on X occasions and as you've said its one of the most genuine relationships you've seen.

-You'd be willing to provide further testimony answer any questions etc on their behalf blah blah blah.

Good luck

jml

JML - Thanks, This sounds great. I jsut didnt want to write something that sounded fake or like it was trying to over convience them. I will go with this as a base. Thanks so much!

I wouldn't worry about "over-convincing" them. That's exactly what they want: to be convinced. Over-convincing would be ideal!

I would add that if you have any photographs of them together, particularly from some trip the date of which you can verify, that you might include those.

Like most references, they are looking for just the facts, they don't want to have to read a long letter full of redundant information. It is more believable if it is just a short message, such as "I have known of this relationship for xx months, and have emails etc... relating to it in my possession, which can be made available upon your request". A long letter full of stories and anecdotes, even when all true, may come across as trying too hard to convince them.

It may take longer if they then request the extra information, but you can give them a phone number to call you on to request the extra information. It only adds a short delay but makes you sound more convincing (especially if it is your work number). You can always have the additional information ready to send as soon as you get the call.