I've fallen in love with an au pair from Osnabrück

28 posts in this topic

Hello:

I'm currently a new member of this site and I just wanted to hear other thoughts about what you guys think about the following...

My name is Alex and I'm 21 years old from Boston, USA.

I currently met a girl here that was an Au-Pair from Germany.

I fell completly in love with her and yesterday she flew back home to Germany and I stayed here in Boston crying my eyes out.

I then started thinking and said that I could maybe go down to Germany with in a few weeks (as soon as my passport arrives) and go and visit her.

The problem is that I"m not sure if I will be able to stay with her. which I think she wouldnt have a problem with me staying with her but it all depends on her parents.

so I then started doing research just to have a backup and started looking at homestay programs where Germans host people from other countries to stay with then in ther house for a small fee to help pay for food and other items.

I also maybe thought about staying at a hostel for a few days until I get to see how things are down there.

and maybe even finding a job that would just pay me enough for me to spend down there. but the thing is that I dont have a degree.

I do have experience in logistics and shipping regulations as well as some experince in the music industry and computer field.

but I hardly doubt that without a degree, I'll be able to find a job specially since I dont know German. (the only languages I know are Spanish and English)

So I'm curious to know how things are down in Germany.

and if perhaps there are people by the Osnabruck or better yet by the Bohmte area that would be able to help me out by perhaps being interested in doing a homestay or by simply just helping me giving me a mini-job just to have spending money while on my trip in Germany.

also any other information that would make me decide my trip faster would be greatly appriciated.

It's hard for someone like me who already has an okay job here in America to just leave for the purpose of love.

But I want to know if anyone has done it before and if it has worked out okay for them.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,

-Alex

You need to get to know her a little better before making such a drastic move. You're both very young, and feelings can change at the blink of an eye. Visit her for a few weeks at at time but don't move here anytime soon.

Alex,

Love comes, love goes. Have a nice time with your au pair girl and don't try to plan too much. Take it easy! Enjoy the moment. Have a great time with her, check out Germany a bit, then go back home and see how you feel. You will feel it in your stomach, or in that place behind the sternum that beats rythmically, what the right course of action for you is.

I wish I had felt that way about somebody when I was 21. Good luck, there will be a beer waiting for you in Munich if you turn up here at some stage.

I did feel like that about someone when I was 21. And then I felt that way about someone else when I was 27. And then someone else when I was 30...and I changed countries so many times...

Being a few years your senior, and had experienced love with geographic problems, here's my advice: DON'T plan on moving now- it's way too expensive! Take your time, go visit, rack up good phone bills, let her visit you again. Be young & have fun- which is what being 20 is all about, but don't be rash.

And in the meantime, get yourself enrolled in some German classes!

If you can dream it, why not try and live your dream. :D

ok, .. thousands of kilometers later, new people, new language, new food, .. hey sounds like a real adventure to me.

kate

I wish I had felt that way about somebody when I was 21. Good luck, there will be a beer waiting for you in Munich if you turn up here at some stage.

I felt like that about 4 girls I think when I was 21.

Go for it and to hell with the begrudgers! The worst that could happen is that it messes up completely, you hate the girl and the country and you go home crying. When it comes to love - fuck sensibility! Tell the girl that you are gonna go to Germany to be with her and, unless she says that she actually hates your guts, get your stuff together and move. Grab hold of this with both hands and you will have no regrets, and even if it doesn't work out you'll get to see Germany which I might add is full of German girls.

Do the visit thing and go from there. Maybe once you are over here you will feel differently, she'll feel differently, etc.

You won't know unless you try. I was sitting in Boston myself 6 years ago faced with the same question and I said 'oh why not, I can always go back to Boston if I don't like it or it doesn't work out but I may never fall in love like this ever again'.

So, go for it. You're only 21 - if it ends out being a mistake then be happy you made the mistake at 21 instead of at 31 or 41.

...and even if it doesn't work out you'll get to see Germany which I might add is full of German girls.

There you go again spreading these nasty unfounded rumors.

Cheers,

Fairfax71

...and I stayed here in Boston crying my eyes out.

I've heard that this is a perfectly natural reaction to Boston.

Oh hell - I'm going to be in Boston (well Burlington) for 2 weeks in September. I'll be working so no time for owt else...

Boston, Lincolnshire? :D

I came to Germany because of a girl, it didn´t work out, but I stayed anyway and met my present wife here a few years later, so...