Travel insurance recommendations

117 posts in this topic

I was looking for one and choosing whether to sign up directly with the insurance company or apply for a credit card that includes travel insurance.

 

I found out that Barclaycard Platinum Double is really good and comes with attractive benefits, you do not even have to pay with this card to get insured except for Mietwagen-Versicherung but the fee is 99EUR per year.

 

The Reiseversicherung that includes Reiserücktrittskosten- und Reiseabbruch-Versicherung, Auslandsreise-Kranken­versicherung for one year is around 100EUR for the insurance company.

 

I ended up to apply for Barclaycard Platinum Double.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ohng said:

I was looking for one and choosing whether to sign up directly with the insurance company or apply for a credit card that includes travel insurance.

 

I found out that Barclaycard Platinum Double is really good and comes with attractive benefits, you do not even have to pay with this card to get insured except for Mietwagen-Versicherung but the fee is 99EUR per year.

 

The Reiseversicherung that includes Reiserücktrittskosten- und Reiseabbruch-Versicherung, Auslandsreise-Kranken­versicherung for one year is around 100EUR for the insurance company.

 

I ended up to apply for Barclaycard Platinum Double.

 

Thanks for you reply.

It seems a very good and cheap offer, especially compared to other credit card insurance like Amex which are significantly more expensive.

One question: are your sure about the part in bold? 

I am asking because the main reasons to apply for a normal insurance rather than a credit card is that in general with the credit card in order to be covered you have to pay with it and sometimes this implies an additional fee of 5,6 or even 7% more of the amount. 

Can I also kindly ask you to list what are the events covered by this insurance, unfortunately i do not speak German yet.

Many thanks

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The barcley insurance has limits! 5300 for the card owner and 10200€ for the whole party.

If you plan to go to North island on the Seychelles the limits are too low!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Trinita said:

 

Thanks for you reply.

It seems a very good and cheap offer, especially compared to other credit card insurance like Amex which are significantly more expensive.

One question: are your sure about the part in bold? 

I am asking because the main reasons to apply for a normal insurance rather than a credit card is that in general with the credit card in order to be covered you have to pay with it and sometimes this implies an additional fee of 5,6 or even 7% more of the amount. 

Can I also kindly ask you to list what are the events covered by this insurance, unfortunately i do not speak German yet.

Many thanks

 

 

 

 

Yeah, i'm sure and you can see more details at their website: https://www.barclaycard.de/?page=kreditkarte-mit-reiseruecktrittsversicherung#reiseversicherung

 

 

Welche Leistungen der Reiseversicherung Platinum gelten auch unabhängig von einer Zahlung über das Barclaycard Platinum Double Kreditkarten-Konto?

  • Reiserücktrittskosten- bzw. Reiseabbruch-Versicherung
  • Auslandsreise-Krankenversicherung
  • Assistance-Service

 

And more details about the other fees: https://www.barclaycard.de/media/bedingungen-barclaycard-platinum-double-leistungen,15923,2.pdf

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone got any experience with Mietwagenversicherung? Normally I either just reduce the excess with the company directly, it's covered by the 3rd party booking agency (i.e sunny cars, car-del-mar) or I just don't bother. But I'm going to Namibia and am renting a 4x4 there. The excess is around €2000 and at that price, in that location, I would like to reduce it. Reducing it with the company directly isn't cheap.

 

I've only really found two companies doing it here in Germany, Allianz and HanseMerkur.

 

Does anyone know if a 4x4 is still classed as a PKW? Does it work like I think it does...i.e it's covering our excess in the event of an accident or theft. Is there anything I need to watch out for? In the online forms HanseMerkur didn't ask where I was going and neither asked what type of car I was getting...seems strange.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They typically won't cover off-road vehicles.  I was going to do the same using my Lufthansa Gold card but found in the AGB's this: 

 

Davon sind nicht erfasst: • Fahrzeuge ohne Pkw-Zulassung. • Fahrzeuge, für welche keine Zulassung erforderlich ist. • Lastkraftwagen, Transporter, Wohnwagen, Wohnmobile, Camper, Anhänger und Motorräder. • Vans und Minivans (mit mehr als sieben zugelassenen und eingetragenen Sitzplätzen). • Geländefahrzeuge (Off-Road-Vehicle), SUV (Sport-Utility-Vehicle) und Allradfahrzeuge (4x4- Fahrzeuge), die außerhalb öffentlicher Straßen benutzt werden. • Oldtimer (antike Fahrzeuge, d.h. Fahrzeuge, die älter als 20 Jahre sind oder seit 10 Jahren 10 nicht mehr hergestellt wurden). • Fahrzeuge der Marken Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Bentley, Corvette, Daimler von Jaguar, De Lorean, Excalibur, Jensen, Lotus, Maserati, Maybach und Rolls-Royce.

 

Look for the AGBs or ask the insurer but I am guessing they all have this clause as the costs and risk of an accident are higher.

 

Edit: love the fact that De Lorean is included. Dr. Brown would be thrilled.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used "insurance4carhire.com" for the past few years.

 

They are UK based but offer the service to all EU residents (not sure how this will work after Brexit mind!) and offer policies for UK, Europe and whole world.

Although their policy does state "...which the main use is intended to be off-road" as an exclusion.  But maybe you can contact them and see if this would be OK or not.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rhody said:

They typically won't cover off-road vehicles.  I was going to do the same using my Lufthansa Gold card but found in the AGB's this: 

 

Davon sind nicht erfasst: • Fahrzeuge ohne Pkw-Zulassung. • Fahrzeuge, für welche keine Zulassung erforderlich ist. • Lastkraftwagen, Transporter, Wohnwagen, Wohnmobile, Camper, Anhänger und Motorräder. • Vans und Minivans (mit mehr als sieben zugelassenen und eingetragenen Sitzplätzen). • Geländefahrzeuge (Off-Road-Vehicle), SUV (Sport-Utility-Vehicle) und Allradfahrzeuge (4x4- Fahrzeuge), die außerhalb öffentlicher Straßen benutzt werden. • Oldtimer (antike Fahrzeuge, d.h. Fahrzeuge, die älter als 20 Jahre sind oder seit 10 Jahren 10 nicht mehr hergestellt wurden). • Fahrzeuge der Marken Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Bentley, Corvette, Daimler von Jaguar, De Lorean, Excalibur, Jensen, Lotus, Maserati, Maybach und Rolls-Royce.

 

Look for the AGBs or ask the insurer but I am guessing they all have this clause as the costs and risk of an accident are higher.

 

Edit: love the fact that De Lorean is included. Dr. Brown would be thrilled.

 

The DeLorean must be a joke surely. Otherwise they would have to mention any number of obscure/exclusive car brands. Bloody good though.

 

8 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I've used "insurance4carhire.com" for the past few years.

 

They are UK based but offer the service to all EU residents (not sure how this will work after Brexit mind!) and offer policies for UK, Europe and whole world.

Although their policy does state "...which the main use is intended to be off-road" as an exclusion.  But maybe you can contact them and see if this would be OK or not.

 

Thanks both, I'll contact both and see what they say. It's the only way to know for sure. Would make sense though if it is not included. The higher risk is why I want to reduce the excess.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

I am looking for travel insurance, mainly one that covers medical needs. Preferably something that I could use for multiple travels because I might travel a few times over the next year. I am pregnant, do I have to look for something specific? Am I supposed to notify the insurance company?

Thanks :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have international medical travel insurance with ADAC, we never had to use it but it supposed to be good, it is pretty affordable, something around 50 EUR for the whole family a year.

 

Inside the EU you are covered by your normal health insurance, you don't even have to apply for an additional card anymore, the back of your card is the EHIC card.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Inside the EU you are covered by your normal health insurance, you don't even have to apply for an additional card anymore, the back of your card is the EHIC card.

 

Only in the Krankenkassen of course, not with private.   It depends where you are going, however a standard typical worldwide policy (no idea of pregnancy) is only about 12 Euro and obviously that includes any provider in the EU, not just ones participating in EHIC.  EHIC's greatly overvalued, with the exception of some special needs.  It's also the repatriation policy cost that's the biggie when it comes to injury or illness abroad.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a worldwide travel insurance with ERGO, where you can select the options yourself. Mine also includes legal assistance, luggage and health insurance. So, in case they put you in prison in Paraguay like they did with @john g.. that would be covered too :).

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I have a worldwide travel insurance with ERGO, where you can select the options yourself. Mine also includes legal assistance, luggage and health insurance. So, in case they put you in prison in Paraguay like they did with @john g.. that would be covered too :).

 

Now you have to tell me that story because I never would have thought I would need legal assistance when travelling... 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I have a worldwide travel insurance with ERGO, where you can select the options yourself. Mine also includes legal assistance, luggage and health insurance. So, in case they put you in prison in Paraguay like they did with @john g.. that would be covered too :).

No private rooms available in that place, Luke!:P 20 to a room then!!!

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have sent letters to Hansemerkur regarding the renewal of my annual policy due 13.03.2022 for cancellation or adjustment 
because unfortunately, my wife died on 11.02.2022. 
They informed me that this is not possible unless I give one month's notice. 
As soon as I received the death notice I sent a copy on 25.02.2022 yet still, they refused. 
I wrote on 28.02.2022 and 11.03.2022 and just receive automatic ticket numbers. 
They want to sell a new annual travel insurance policy to a dead person and charged my PayPal yesterday. 
I have to ask apart from dealing with the distressing side of the problem is it legal?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now