German Speaking Meetup

2,703 posts in this topic

Anyone else out there worried that hanging out with TT is so addictive, that their hard won German language skills are not getting aired enough?

What about a German only meet every couple of weeks..I can bring a few natives with me.

I'm definitely interested - I need the practice badly before I finally depart TT in just two months time :o

@jimbo - you're going back to England man, better start improving your english accent again. :P

Not sure I am here or not, but when I talked about this with someone previoulsy there was a suggestion of having a fine system for english spoken ;)

More goes towards a round of drinks at the end??

:D

P

I agree, someone posted the other week saying they need help, I offered to do a german Stammtisch, and someone actually posted to say I shouldn't bother as we all speak english!

As I said before, I don't need to practice as i speak German all day at work and live with a German! If I do a Stammtisch it will be to help the newcomers who need support.

So if you guys switch to English it's your problem :P

this will only work if the vast majority of participants is German.

The point is that it doens't make much sense speaking German if you know that everbody participating in the converstion is better off speaking English. I speak German to my German collegues on a daily basis, but still speak in English (or Dutch B) ) to my non-German collegues.

There is a club in Munich called the GEA, the German-English Association. Along with organising their own set of expat events, they have a whole month of activities called Deutsch mit Freunden, where the language is German, not English. If anyone wants the list for August, send me a PM and I'll pass it on. It's too long to post here.

Right - I get the same emails as Showem :-)

The Deutsch mit Freunden people also organise French, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish Stammtische, in case anyone's interested. Details from me or Showem, I guess.

Topsy

wow SK04. where the hell do u get all this time and energy?!!!

there are quite a few german natives on TT. they could go along to help the english speakers out (who have probably helped them with their english skills too over the months/years).

@VDB- It's targeted only at people who want to work on their German language skills (not a TT piss up). I've been to loads of these through the GI etc where there was no native majority... but worked out great. I know of about 4 natives who will join.

Can those interested in coming along pls give me a quick PM so I can reserve table space.

count me in, i'm glad to help out if i can :)

just make sure we get the discount on cocktails as the more drunk you are the easier it will be to speak a different language :P

sh.. my schedule got changed, have to work now :(

will try to get out asap and swing by

A German Stammtisch for practicing my German sounds great! But Wednesday? I'd have to miss my German class to attend...and I'm pretty sure several other people who might be interested do classes on the same day.

Ok.. gonna be impossible to please everyone...so

as suggested by JML, to kick this thing off, we'll stick with Wednesday but to compliment the Curry night, JML cleverly suggested we hold it nr to Sitar at:

New Location

Roosevelts

Thierschplatz 5

U4/5 Lehel

Tel. 089 21 57 83 00

7.30-9pm under name Toytown

For ongoing, we'll then switch to Thursdays.

Newbies welcome. Anyone who wants to join, please PM me so I can get an idea of numbers.

Hiya...also if you want to join the Curry dinner at 9pm, you have to register here.

To read more about Roosevelts bar, click here.

Shaggy,

have you got anough natives to hold down the ford?

If not let me know...glad to help.

margret