Where to get passport photos taken for Canadians

23 posts in this topic

Having problems finding a store or studio that will provide passport photos according to the Canadian specifications. Does anyone have any recommendations in the Frankfurt/Mainz/Wiesbaden area?

if you call the Canadian Consulate they can give the name of the places that do the Canadian Specific photos for our passports in your area.

I just got passport photos of my teen taken this week (I live east of Frankfurt, sorry) but just wanted to say what a funny experience it was. On her old passport, she is grinning ear to ear - put a camera in front of the girl and she automatically turns it on. Well, the old German curmudgeon insisted she NOT smile, and he was so "upright" about it she then got the giggles! I'm sure anything official in Germany does not include laughter.

Our Personalausweise can still have pictures of us smiling in them. ;) And as long as we can, you can be sure that I will. I don#t know why, but I kind of find I look friendlier when I smile. Wonder why that is... :P

I had my passport photo done in May while I was in Canada, and it was very different from the last time I had it done. The new rules are strict -- no smiling, and no reflections or shine on the skin. It was crazy. The photographer did the photo three times, and there was still a bit of shine so I had to go and get some face powder and then do it again. The photographer says that the government will turn down photos for the least little flaws, and since I couldn't just go back to him and get it redone we had to get this one right. He only charged me for one photo for all that work, so there was nothing in it for him to be such a perfectionist.

Don't have any suggestions (don't know my way around Frankfurt yet), but make sure to find a place where they know what they're doing, and preferably back it up with a "free redo". I shelled out wasted money last year in Berlin when the place told me that they knew all the new rules, and then when I went back to complain they gave me the "how do we know you specified Canadian Passport regs needed to be met?" story. Funny thing was, they were recommended by the Embassy and are located around the corner.

I had mine taken here in Munich around 2 months ago. You can ask them at the consulate and they'll give you the adds of the places that do the pics according to the new Canadian regulations. The pics sure look horrible without the smile though :(

I recommend Foto Quelle in the Louisenarkade in Bad Homburg (S5 or U2 from Frankfurt).

When I renewed my British passport I took along a printout of the UK biometric regulations (which differ slightly to the German ones!) and they took one set of pictures and printed/cut them to British specifications for the consulate and German specifications for the Ausländeramt.

Hello,

My name is Rosa and I need to renew my passport by the middle of March. I'm currently living just outside of Hamburg, but since the Canadian consulate in Hamburg just recently close, I need to mail my application to Berlin. I'm having trouble finding a photographer that takes photos to the Canadian size specifications (50 x 70). I would like to know if anyone can suggest a photographer in Hamburg or surrounding area that takes photos according to Canadian specs. I appreciate your help in advance.

Kind regards,

Rosa

We just get all our passport photos done at our local opticians (Optiker). I bring along the page with the requirements (and a small plastic ruler so I can measure the pics once they're taken) and he sizes them correctly. Haven't ever had a problem.

Our local high street photographer has some document which specifies the requirements of various countries.

When I went along 2 years ago for new photos for a UK passport he asked "passport photos - which country?" I sez "UK" - he sez "ah ja - zese are ze requirements" & I got 4 photos. No problems with the UK passport authorities.

I think the photo shop on Lepizigerstr in Bockenheim does them, or at least it use to do them 3 years ago when my friend renewed her Canadian passport. I think it is called Photo Firle.

I have had pics for Canada immigration screwed up when I had them taken in Canada so I second what westvan said about printing out the requirement page and bringing your own ruler to measure. You should make sure that your photos are the right size and that your head is the right size on the photo and don't pay until they get it right.

I don't see why any professional photo studio wouldn't be able to make Canadian sized passport photos. Last year I just called up the nearest photo studio (not camera shop) and asked him. He sounded amazed that I was even asking him about sizing photos. He explained that today all proper professionals have gone digital, and thus can turn out any size to any specification. But he did ask me to bring along the specifications, since he hadn't done Canadian ones before.

I printed out the spec sheet, and the photographer and I together made sure that the photos matched all the requirements. I've been burned by too picky Canadian passport folks before, so I insisted on doing my pics in black and white to ensure there was no colour in the background. He was a little puzzled, but went along with my request. Then he printed off the exact same head shot in color according to German specs for my visa renewal. Was no real trouble at all.

Yep, it's really not a problem since they all use digital photo equipment these days. My optician does the pictures to German standard and then resizes them to fit and they've always been accepted.

Got to say I haven't seen an opticians with a photo studio before, strange sort of mix of business.

Got to agree with the idea of taking your own copy of the specs and a ruler. My wife got a set done for her passport and the shop gave her a set sized for the personal ausweiss instead, which were of course refused by the passport office. Got them resized for free but the hassle wasn't worth it.

Got to say I haven't seen an opticians with a photo studio before, strange sort of mix of business.

Well, it's not really a photo studio. It says "Passfotos" on the window and he has a big digital camera and a backdrop and some lights. He does passport, ID card and job application photos.

I just had this done, went to the local photo shop in the mall. Compared to last time it was super easy. All digital now, she took photos andn looked up the country and hit print. Took all of 2 mins. Only downside was I forgot the location stamp so had to drive back to get that. Cost 32€