Where to buy homebrew ingredients

89 posts in this topic

in theory, i'm totally down with any kind of meet up, but two things to think about..

1. meeting at the Hacker Bräuhaus would be good for conversation, but i doubt they would let us bring in homebrew samples to taste. and sampling each other's beers is half the fun of the whole thing.

2. i need to "donate" my BrauEule so i can get a beer fridge. this lends itself to maybe having some meeting place (Garage, Basement, etc) where something like this could take place. Bueschen had mentioned having room for something like that. (unfortunately i've got the standard tiny german kitchen and no cellar)

but either way, i'll be there.

Bob

So I am planning on making a purchase from Brouwland in the near future. If anyone else is interested in getting some supplies it would be cheaper to combine orders. I plan on getting some spray malts, hops and a bit of yeast as well. PM if you're interested.

A quick message to say that you should watch out for Brouwland's delivery charges - they seem to have gone up massively and the delivery service seems to get worse and worse.

For an order of two small packets of hops the delivery charge showed as 9.92 incl. VAT, which already seems excessive for a 10 day service, but I then noticed that although the price showed as Inclusive of VAT on their webpage the confirmation mail showed this as being without VAT. So in fact the postage was 12 euro. In short for small orders Brouwland is totally over-priced, either their webpage is crap or they made an attempt to hide the magnitude of their delivery charge, and I'd recommend finding someone local. Up until now I've overlooked their charges because they're one shop that sells everything but now they're really taking the piss.

Can anyone recommend a Germany based supplier for all things brewing related? As I mentioned on the brewing meeting page there are two unofficial suppliers if you want the malts/hops/yeast that German brews use - ie. Volker Rothbauer in Bayrischzell and the Giesinger Brauerei in the city, but if you want a pack of Fuggles they won't be able to help.

Edit: It seems that Promille are closing and are having a 30% off everything sale, not much left but worth a look.

you are right with the shipping charges. collective orders may be a good idea in the future. especially if they (the suppliers)were smart enough to offer free shipping with a 100 Euro minimum or something. but as far as i know, nothing like that exists.

as far as germany based supplier, i mostly use Hopfen und Mehr at www.hobbybrauerversand.de (new URL, used to be simply hopfenundmehr.de). they dont carry ALL the things we anglo-saxon brewers might want, but the selection is big, and they seem to be getting more vareity all the time.

its a german site, and they also must have some kind of relationship with Brouwland, because they say they will also get you (nearly) anything that you can get on the Brouwland site if you write to them.

and for those of you who don't break out in a sweat when you see a german website, i also reccomend the www.hobbybrauer.de forum where the german homebrewers discuss everything from the Reinheitsgebot to the fermentation qualities of the nottingham ale yeast.

Right on about the shipping charges Helles,

Here is my breakdown of an order I placed with Brouwland recently:

Product total - €100,70

VAT on product - €8,66

Shipping total - €10,33

VAT on Shipping - €2,17

TOTAL - €121,86

The shipping charges would have still been roughly the same if I'd only ordered 10 yoyo's worth so as HellesAngel stated above it's a rip off unless you order a fair amount. I'm not sure about the ten day shipping though, maybe I got lucky since my Thursday order showed up on the following Monday.

Yes, that's how it ran for me - 10 euros worth of hops, 10 euros of shipping which ticked me off a bit, then the shipping took forever so I missed my brewing day which didn't exactly improve things, then I look and see their website doesn't tell the truth about the shipping costs which pushed me to write them a snotty email and research the alternatives again.

Hi,

I have recently started with home brewing. I am becoming addicted to this.

So far I could not find any home brewing shops - so I use online shops - but sometimes I need something immediately.

If someone knows a shop please share info.

Thanks,

Armin

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]