Where to buy homebrew ingredients

89 posts in this topic

Yes, sadly they moved. AFAIK there's nowhere in Munich area that sells homebrew equipment and it's unlikely you'll find something like a hydrometer in a normal kitchen shop. Shame really. Brouwland deliver really quickly and if you order today and email saying it's urgent you might just have it by the end of the week.

are you in america or in Munich? If you are local and you need some pointers we could probably arrange something? Are you doing all grain or extract brewing?

When I order brewing stuff I use promille and Brouwland. I find them both good, although Brouwland is faster and more reliable. Just brewed a summer ale yesterday with coriander and orange peels added in the last fifteen minutes of boil, which I got fast from brouwland. Was going to use the 1056 yeast which I got of brouwland, but a friend dropped by with an activator pack of 1056 so I used that with Augustiner weizen yeast and it is going crazy right now. I think in the future I will switch to the wyeast american ale II because that seems to have been sourced from Anchor, whereas the 1056 seems to have originated from Sierre Nevada and although I like both beers the Anchor yeast seems to have handled the beer better.

I'm about to assemble the final stages of my brew system, which consists of a gas cooker, converted keg, external sparge bucket and soon a 50 L stainless steel pot. I've been borrowing a friends up until now which had a false bottom, but I was having trouble with the attenuation, we shall see if the problem has been solved.

I just got all of my brewing equipment, but I have no idea what I am doing.

If you have absolutely no idea where to begin and you've never done this before then buy Charlie Papazian's Homebrew Bible and follow his instructions. It's very good. See posts 31 & 50 in this thread where I entered a highly abridged version of these instructions - only some initiative is between you and home brewed beer. Perhaps later I can type some more stuff in but I don't have time now. If you get specific questions then just ask, I'll be very happy to answer them.

Any chance you can ... Send me a PM.

No, no chance of a PM. The whole point of boards like this is the rubbish we write stays available for all to read when they choose.

anyone got any ideas about getting American hop varieties without paying astronomical shipping costs?

i could go two wasy on this.. forget the Amizeug, learn to use what we can get here, and become one with the hallertau and all it's offerings. (on that note, i got a great deal on some Perle hops last year in bulk from someone who "knew someone" probably on a farm. if anyone has such a connection here, i'd be interested in hearing about it.)

or second, if anyone is interested, we could try to make a larger purchase, and split the shipping. there's just so many varieties that i read in countless American hophead recipes, which i never see in these channels, i.e., Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial. truth be told, i'm trying to put together a Pliny the Elder clone, and it supposedly takes exactly those 3 varieties. And to order 400g hops and still spend 25 bucks on shipping is just not sane. btw, shipping hops in from the states is allowed, isn't it? i mean outside of the standard Zoll considerations...

ok, brew good beer yall

Greetings to you all!

I just moved to Munich and as "awesome" as the beer is here, I feel we who know need to educate some of the unfortunate souls about the glory that is a proper American Beer. I've been here for 3 weeks and I am starting to feel like a broken record explaining my position on beer. I think that I will save myself future issues by typing up, laminating, and carrying around my spiel about why American beer doesn't suck, and in general is better and almost always more complex/robust than the German varieties...

But onto the reason I'm posting (for the first time too). I would like nothing more than to get together with some of you lovely hopheads and brew some beer. I have only brewed once in the Netherlands (Belgian influenced IPA - it was tasty) and I would really like to do it again. I do not have the gear required, but I do have the availability and the motivation to actually get a brewing session organized. It might be a bit overzealous, but I have this awesome image in my mind of a group of people meeting every few weeks, brewing a couple of batches, bottling the previous sessions results, and learning a whole lot about brewing in the process. Think about it; proper Ales available year round. It's almost too exciting of a concept...

So, hopefully you all still check out this thread and maybe we can get some brewing going on in the near future.

Cheers

H

@inkbob - If you manage a Pliny the Elder clone you might be the single coolest person in Europe. I'm happy to try to help if you have the equipment and time.

Hi HoboStatus, welcome to Munich and TT. It sounds like a good idea, the brewing group, although considering the time it takes for an all-grain brew (about six hours) that's mostly sitting around and waiting I'm not sure how it will work in practice. Meeting up to discuss methods and ideas would be fun though, of course over a few (homebrew) beers.

Meanwhile, should you feel like investing in the equipment I have doubles of almost everything that I'd be happy to sell to you, and that Mrs Angel would be delighted to have out of the way. Let me know...

I'd be interested in meeting for a homebrew stammtisch, but I have to admit that HellesAngel is right about the sitting around for five to six hours doing a batch. Please do let me know if you guys decide to arrange a homebrewers meetup.

Hi HoboStatus,

depending on timing and location, I'd be up for that. I haven't brewed in several years but would be happy to participate in something like this. I have no equipment and don't want any, but I'd happily contribute to ingredients for an endeavor like this. And scrounging non twist-off bottles in Munich will be soooo much easier than back home.

Once you get equipment, I'd suggest you decide on a date then start a new thread under Munich meetups with a sign-up list. You can include the date (dd.mmm.yyyy) in the subtopic and the event will appear on the TT calendar.

i'd also be up for a meet up-brew it up-session. the question is always where and when. i have no problem with loosing a whole sunday for a whole grain batch. that's what i do already. but hauling the equipment around town is no fun, and my apartment is a bit small to do a group thing right.

we'll have to toss around some ideas about how best to do it.

on the topic of equipment, i recently aquired a used BrauEule, and have used it only once. not quite sure it is going to suit my purposes. so maybe if someone is interested in trying it out, and taking it off my hands? BTW if anyone here has experience with the BrauEule I, i might have a few questions for you. (also very bulky for my tiny apartment)

the Pliny clone was no Pliny, but it was damn good. there was no interest in pooling orders for american hops, so i had to substitute german varieties for most of the american hops. it was still a lovely aromatic hop bomb, and i'll be doing it again sometime definately. needless to say, none left to share.

Bob

@inkbob:

I would be up for a brew session as well. I have never brewed beer myself but would love to give it a try and learn from those who have done it!

How big is the BrauEule? I have a small patio but don't really use it so this might be the perfect space. I have plenty of room inside for a group thing so would be happy to host.

hello all,

I'm happy to see some active beer threads happening! I've made a couple batches since moving to munich and it's been adventuresome to get used to the differences in water composition, available hops, finding ingredients etc. Rather than host one gigantic brew session in out tiny apartment, how about we all meet up and compare notes? I'd be happy to bring some samples from our past brews, and maybe from there organize some brewing sessions. Or some sort of homebrew club.

May I suggest the evening of Sunday the 28th? Reply if you're interested.

So I will definitely bring Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing with me to the meetup. I'll also bring a printout of the all-grain stovetop method description from homebrewtalk if anyone is interested in discussing brewing methods. And if I get around to ordering one, I'll bring a recipe book :)

So it looks like Sunday isn't going to work after all. I forgot we have tickets for the Arcade Fire show.

so who's up for a brew session one of these days. it kinda got put on the back burner due to the holidays, but like i said, i have this mini-brewery machine that i could "donate" for something like this. (the wife says if i get rid of it, i can buy a designated beer fridge!)

if people just want to hang and drink beer, that should be doable too.

Bob

Hi inkbob, I'd be curious to see your brewing machine in action and it seems you're not far from me. As to doing a whole brew, I've only done it the manual way and they take ages so hanging around for six hours is going to be either rather boring after a while, or we'd end up so drunk we'd forget what we were there for. My plans are a bit chaotic but suggest a time and I'll try to be there.

Hey everyone!

This is my first post and a homebrewer myself that has 'recently' moved here to Munich. All those that were interested in meeting for a "homebrewers" club, below is a link to another discussion forum that is trying to get everyone in sync and to meet at one place to discuss BREWING. Taking responsibility into my own hands I am going to create an event with the information from the other forum which will include a place, time/date, and a sign up. You can say attending with your name next to the number and we can all try to get on the same page in terms of listing everyones contact information and best availability to meet...

the TT topic of "Looking to start a home brewers' club":

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=204127

My name is Josh and if anyone wants to contact me I am completely available and will list my contact info below. I'd really like to see everyone meet to see some faces and match them with the thread/experiences... Thanks!

Josh Agramonte

Phone: 4915257064279

jagramon@mail.usf.edu

I'll be sending a general PM shortly but here is the link with the information for us to all meet up and establish something in terms of a meeting/club and talk further about brewing...

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=206027