English-speaking counselors and therapists

30 posts in this topic

Hi

I am moving to Munich in a few weeks and I was thinking it may be helpful if I started speaking with a counselor to discuss this life change (I'm moving without my husband for 6 months). Does anyone have any recommendations for English speaking counselors to assist in my transition?

Advertisement links: Dr. Jane Dum, and Cynthia Kunze

There is a place called IAF. They counsel on exactly those types of things as well as inter-cultural relationships, etc...

PM for the numbers.

I would advice striking up some friendships with the people in this forum. They are not all bad contrary to what some of their posts suggests. ;)

> discuss this life change (I'm moving without my husband for 6 months)

OMG! 6 months?! Many would call that an extended vacation. Save that money and spend the time with your hubby instead. Or have him visit you for a week after 3 months.

call me ignorant, and it may be an american thing but,

why do you need counseling? that's something you do when you've got real problems.

all the problems your going to have when you first move to munich, are those that alot of people here have been through, some more some less. post your problems, and people will advise. or go to a barvarian counceling session - beergarden. meet people, and gab the night away, it'll be cheaper than some shrink with lots of certificates on the wall who's going to charge you way more than 5 litres of beer.

which six months are you going to be here? if your going to be alone by yourself, enjoy the time and do all those things you always wanted to do, this town offers so much. to miss quote somee old englishman...

“he who tires of munich, tires of life".

my tu'pence worth.

Hiya

The Americans in Munich Stammtisch might well be a good idea for you.

The normal TTM Tuesdays will also introduce you to a few people who have probably had the same experience, I'm not sure why you will be coming to Germany, is it a University exchange programme or is it for work?

If it is for University, this lot might be worth a go?

You can meet many different types of people through TTM (they aren't all horrible really).

There are also a few threads on the board about learning German - something which can help you to cope better. This thread has some info about VHS courses.

Should you really want to go the therapy route, Dr Jane Dum offers culture-shock work but I've never used her (she is from the US though).

Good luck!

Katrina

PS and just to show that you're not the only one to have felt that way - here's a similar thread.

katrina is right. dr. jane e. dum comes highly recommended. if you feel therapy would help you to make the transition, i think you should go for it. i am sure some of these folks don't mean to dismiss your anxieties about your life change, but rather feel that by immersing yourself in the community and embracing german life you can come to terms with the transition. all well and good, but there are often times when we need to discuss things thoroughly with a dispassionate professional.

good luck. you'll enjoy it here!

Culture shock can be hard and some cope with it better than others. Personally, I had it pretty bad when I first moved to the States from Australia in the early 90s, but found it easier when I moved here.

It is a good idea to find out the address of a professional counsellor when you first arrive, but I also would only suggest using it if you really need it. The advise given here already is good - get out and meet people. Although I have nothing against hanging out with TTers - they seem like a decent enough bunch from a distance - there is a trap with joining a "club" of English speakers in that it can mean that you only end up hanging around with other English or Americans for the whole time you are here, which would be a bit of a waste, I think. I would also suggest joining a German class. Not only do you learn the language, but if you are lucky, you will meet interesting people from all over the world. Worked for me.

TT'ers - they seem like a decent enough bunch from a distance

i dunno i've heard they are all unpleasant small minded and british :P

seriously though, i think if you wanna have a professional counseller, by all means do it...

but you'll be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to get into the swing of things here in munich, you are off to a great start by finding Toytown... maybe keep the professional counseller as a back up, use the cash to have fun instead!

Im afraid i cant tell u the name or number of a counillor, but i just wanted to show support.

I've been here 8 weeks now, i can tell how ur antisipating your gonna feel is exactly how i felt. Personally i used my boyfriend on the end of a phone in England as my counsillor (couldnt afford a real one), and the poor guy put up with some serious shit from me. when i finally got the confidence to come along to a Toytown event i was surprised about how much better i felt, and i soon fell into the trap of going out every night! Leaving no time to feel depressed.

After being here almost 2 months im getting ready to move (this weekend) into a house i want to live in, with people i like, i have friends who i know will rescue me should i require it, and point me in the direction of the u bahn when im drunk!

The first month is definately the haredst so id say use a counsillor for that time if you need it, but u'll soon settle in. Im just coming to the end of what i think is the hardest thing u or i will ever do (-berevment etc), and for me the pain is still very raw, but u'll get thru it, probably better than me and i wish you all the luck in the world.

Participating here is a pretty good way to overcome c'shock.

If you are someone with very little time on your hands however, then it's good to get some pointers from a professional.

Mostly it's about realizing that's not you.That most foreigners are getting upset about similar behaviour patterns they are confronted with.

Yeah, 6 months without the beau will by all means a shock to the system ... gulp, a challenge indeed!

Although, coming to Munich on the other hand isn't such a shock ... it offers everything a person could want ... with an honorable mention to TT.

Take the next 6 months to learn a new language, explore Munich's immense art collection, beautiful parks, cool arcihitect, etc and by all means, take time for yourself ... think of it as an extentend holiday!

Good luck YoYoYo, and by all means, do save your "shrink money" ... for a weekend trip to Venice or Vienna!

I guess I don't need to repeat what willy already said, but here goes...

I did three months without my wife, and to be honest, it was difficult at times but had nothing to do with Munich. Munich is the easy part. It's fun, since you have found Toytown it is quite easy to meet others and some of the brits even speak english.

The hard part is just being away from your other-half. I suggest an investment in good long distance calling and perhaps a planned meet up halfway through if possible. I don't think I could have done 6 months without seeing my wife in person.

I agree totally with Gideons posts above. However if there are particular problems you wish to address, there are some very reliable people here in which I can recommend. Please PM me if you need more details.

Mary :)

I didn't want to start a new topic but I wanted to know if anyone could suggest a good counselor here in Munich. Or is Dr. Jane Dum it..

A friend of mine is having problems which she would like to talk through with someone.. someone whom speaks english..

Slightly off-topic, but I'll post it anyway --

its EXTREMELY cheap to call the US, so you will be able to chat with your hubby every day if you both have time without fear of running up high phone bills. You don't need a calling card. Just check Teltarif every week or so to see what the cheapest prefix is, dial that number before the telephone number, and bingo, you are paying 1-2 cents/minute, with no contract obligation, and it just shows up on your regular phone bill. You do need to check regularly as sometimes the rates go up pretty sharply...right now 01070 is cheapest at 1 cent /minute (that's a Euro-cent, so even less in US-dollar terms!).

EDIT--whoops--sorry, didn't notice the dates on the earlier messages. But maybe the calling info will still be useful for someone reading this thread!

Hi,

I'm looking for a good english-speaking therapist. I have seen Dr. Dum's advertisement but was wondering if anyone here had any personal recommendations. Preferably someone who would deal with eating and behavioural disorders etc.

Thanks for your help

Hi,

Anthea Taylor could help you with eating disorders. She is a psychologist and psychotherapist from the UK, working in Munich Haidhausen. Tel. 0162/9165730, email anthea.taylor@humangivens.de.

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I am a native English speaking psychologist. I offer face to face therapy at my private practice in Tutzing (just outside of Munich). I also offer eTherapy (by phone and internet), which is very helpful for people who need psychological advice/support but are unable to get to a therapist, or are embarrassed about going to a therapist, and/or live in a foreign country and have difficulty finding a therapist. I am registered in NSW, Australia and have over 12 years experience with psychological services. As I am not yet registered in Germany, I can not take health insurance. Thus, I offer my services at a reduced fee.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Warm wishes,

Cynthia

www.psyshrink.com

So I really need a therapist, and I just cant connect with any of the german speaking ones, so im wondering if anybody knows where I can find a American or english speaking one? Preferably around Ostbahnhof or Giesing.

Merissa

Topics merged by admin