Job terminated, how long can non-EU'er job search?

87 posts in this topic

@rits,

We both are in the same situation.... Please tell me if you have found some solution for the problem.

Can you please give me your email mobile number.

@rits,

We both are in the same situation.... Please tell me if you have found some solution for the problem.

Can you please give me your email mobile number.

Hello All,

i have a question:

I have a work contract with a German company which is valid for 6 months. After expiration date of this contract can I search for another job (of another company) and apply for visa extension?

Waiting for your answer.

Thank you very much.

Hi,

Sure you can search for another job, but better start ASAP. After your current contract expires, you can ask for a visa extension, at least 3 months. The extension paper may not be a real visa but it help you staying in Germany for sometimes. To get such extension, should you prepare some sufficient amount of money in your bank account (some thousand euro at least), a valid & updated health insurance paper.

You can also claim that you need more time to improve your German in order to get a job. Of course you should do it for real, and it helps.

Good luck.

Hello,

thank you so much for your detailed answer! I will definitely follow your advise.

Oh! and another question:

- How long does it take them to make a decision whether to extend visa or not.

- And Is German Improvement Courses a good reason for visa extension?

Thank you,

Best regards,

Nadja

Hello,

I am a non-EU resident currently in Germany. I entered Germany on a studium VISA on Sep 2007. I completed my Masters Degree in March 2009 and got a Job and a work permit from March 2009. Unfortunately due to the Financial crisis the company had to layoff people and I lost my Job and workpermit. At the moment i have a Fiktionsbescheinigung for looking for a new Job.

Because of the bad job market i have decided to study further and I got a student place at the University. I applied for the student visa but the auslandsamt told me that they have to look up if i can get a student visa after already working in Germany. Has anyone gone through similar experience?

regards

Hi, this is an interesting thread. I have been looking for this information all over this forum for a few days now and have had no luck (there is just no direct answer and there's a lot of conflicting stuff), so here is my question in regards to this.

My wife & I are from Australia and have been here for 4 months now. A month ago my wife got a work VISA for the company she came to work here for, I don't know if they "sponsored" her or anything as they didn't pay any money for transfer etc, but they did do the VISA application process for us. We both have an Aufenhaltstitel / Aufenhaltserlaubnis, hers is under 18 Abs, 4 / 1 (we have health insurance cards, she has a sozialversicherungsausweis and a tax number / lohnsteuerkarte). Mine is undßer 30 AufenthaltG. Her zusatzblat for the Work Visa only says "Beschäftigung nur gemäß 34 blah AufenthG, als Position, bei Company / Address, erlaubt.", it doesn't mention anything about the Aufenthaltstitel becoming invalid if employment ends, like I noticed in the statement a few pages ago by kumar.

My question is, if she was to quit her job (and its likely as its quite ridiculous and is stressing her out immensely), will we also lose our residence permits? Do we have to notify the "Aliens Authority" straight away when this happens, or can we just happily stay as long as our Aufenthaltstitel lasts? I'm very confused because who monitors that we still pay our health insurance for instance (we will, only because we always pay insurance and don't like leaving too much to chance), it sounds too good to be true in a way, so I'm worried we are missing something.

I am actually looking for work right now, have 3 interviews lined up and understand that the company or myself will have to go through the work permit application, though I assume it won't be too hard as I have high IT qualifications and speak German pretty well (having lived here as a child for 8 years but having lost my citizenship when my parents took their Australian one). So I hope to get a job pretty soon but I don't know if my wife can last that long at her job.

I just wanted to know,

1) do we still keep our Residence Permit till it runs out?

2) will we go straight back to a tourist visa for 3 months?

3) otherwise would I be able to get us a "finding work visa" or could she do a "studying german visa" somehow?

4) we do have enough savings to support ourselves for several months while I find work, so could we simply just go on one of those visa's as long as we get some international health insurance?

Sorry if this has been asked to death, but I honestly have been unable to read the clear answers here (only svaen made a comment that sounds about right). I realise I should probably contact the department and will do that mid next week once this lot of interviews are over.

(only svaen made a comment that sounds about right).

Well, that's going to get you a positive response, isn't it? Five pages of comments and you rubbish all but one of them. You've been here four months. Clearly you know better.

Your own post also contains enough basic inacccuracies. You do know that you are the one that has a contract with your current health insurer - not your employer - so it doesn't magically disappear when your job goes? That you will have to sort out your on-going eligibility and that it'll be a minimum 140 Eur a month if they are still prepared to cover you? That if youdecide you want to pick it up later, you will be backcharged for what you missed.

And you do know that "international health insurance" in no way meets German laws, right? Lots of threads here about that.

Stil no point in saying more. Everyone (except svaen apparently) just writes stuff that does not sound right. Why bother?

Also, not exactly clear what is "too good to be true" about not having access to healthcare provision as an immigrant in a nation where it is very expensive if you need it. Makes you more a marginalised, potentially vulnerable, second-class citizen I'd have thought.

Sorry, that is not at all what I meant. I'm a little confused as to why you are suddenly so hostile, I didn't expect an explosion like this.

What I meant is that I couldn't read the right answer about what I was looking for, only svaens comment related to what I was after, not saying that the other comments were wrong or bad at all.

A pal of mine came here from the US to work as an English teacher. His work permit specifically stated "English Teacher". His work is awfully patchy at the moment and I would like to help the guy out by giving him a bit of work on a self-employed basis. The work is not teaching english but perfect, fluent command of the language is a must. To try and get his permit changed so that he can do other work in the english language sector apart from teaching, should I/we go to the KVK or Auslanderampt?

I have looked through here trying to find this specific sort of instance and found nowt. Apologies if something has already been posted - I missed it.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Taff

Hello,

I am in a similar situation to some people on here. I moved to Munich in February of 2010 to work for the Munich office of my company. We were informed that it will be closing and as of July 31st I am no longer employed by the company (unless I accept their option to transfer to another office). However, I do not want to transfer as I am in a relationship and have built a life here and just started becoming comfortable with German.

I have an Aufenthaltstitel which is valid until 2013 -- it is a 2 page visa. This one has the 'gultig bis' date and the 2nd page specifically says my company name, function, address, and so forth.

The problem is I am reading conflicting information in this post. Some say I am permitted to remain in Germany until the date on the Aufenthaltstitel (2013) even though I will be laid off from my company. I have worked somewhat over one year in the system, so I can claim Arbeitlosengeld at the Arbeitsamt as well (according to whomever I spoke to the other day on the phone). I understand that in order to become employed here in Munich again the employer would need to go through the work permit/visa process again at the Ausländerbehörde -- that I am not simply free to go work for whomever I choose.

I just wanted to be clear that I do NOT have to leave the country shortly after my final date of work before I register with the Arbeitsamt, as I am obviously actively seeking new employment at the present time. I am just nervous due to the short timespan and lack of fluent technical German (and the fact employers are not too excited about having to go through the work visa process either). Or do I need to go down there and apply for some extension type (Fiktionsbeschedigung et. al.) an just cross my fingers?

If anyone could provide confirmation of this, that would be great; if not I suppose I can call the charming people at the Ausländerbehörde anonymously and ask about the hypothetical situation.

Thank you for your help and insight.

Your visa is valid for the period until 2013 only if you are in employement with your present employer. Once it stops, you have to get the visa changed according to the "rules". Since you have worked for more than 12 months, you are also eligible for ALG. You also have to register for ALG as soon as you have the kundigung. But the problem is when you want to claim ALG, the arbeitsamt will ask you to get a visa confirmation from the ABH(visa office)and they will cancel your present visa and give a temporary visa(Fiktionsbeschedigung) for 3 months which maybe extended by another 3 months if you are unsuccessful in getting a job.

If you have crossed the threshold of being 2 years employed in germany, you would not be needing permission from arbeitsamt to change companies, but since you are not eligible at this point, your future employer has to apply for a new visa including arbeitsmarkt prüfung.

I have an Aufenthaltstitel which is valid until 2013 -- it is a 2 page visa. This one has the 'gultig bis' date and the 2nd page specifically says my company name, function, address, and so forth.

What exactly does your permit say on the 2nd page(without the personal information)? Do you see any form of the work erlöschen anywhere?

Your visa is valid for the period until 2013 only if you are in employement with your present employer.

Not necessarily, not all permits have a "Nebenbestimmung" saying "erlischt mit Beendigung..."

The second page is as follows:

Unselbständige Beschäftigung als Software-Entwickler bei ... im Bundesgebiet gestattet.

Selbständige Tätigkeit nicht gestattet.

That is the entirety of the text on it, which I realize it just telling me I am allowed to work at the following company.

Thanks for the info! I may have to have someone call or head down there with an important-looking German in tow.

AFAIK your permit is still valid after you stop working at your present company, you just can't work anywhere else with it, but I'm not a lawyer.

I may have to have someone call or head down there with an important-looking German in tow.

I have a better idea. First post your question (in German!) on info4alien, it is a forum run by people who work at various ABHs across Germany and German Consulates abroad. Make sure to include the "Nebenbestimmung" you quoted here and how long you've been in Germany.

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Ok, I was under the impression it -was- still valid even if I lost my job, at least that is what the initial lawyer who my company hired for the process implied.

Thank you for the tip -- I will make a post in those forums in my shiniest German and see what their opinion on the matter is. I'll post back here once I find out the answer so others can reference.

I have another situation...

Actually I am in the Probezeit (2nd Week) in some company here in Stuttgart. To tell you the truth the company isn't that stable, and I had another contract by another company in Hannover. And to tell you the truth I want to move to the company in Hannover as it is far much stable than the one here.

My question is, how long will it take to get a work permit for the other company in Hannover?

After reading several thread, some people said that it takes about 2-3 weeks depenings on the Arbeits für Agentur in Hannover, but is that really true???

And If I resign from my company will I be able to stay in Germany? Meaning is my Visa valid only for this employer?? Knowing I have a two stamps on my passport!

I resigned from my previous job only after handing up the visa paper work for the job I have now.

Between resigning and starting my new job I got "let go", but was simply called into the office and given a vistors extension when they cancelled my current visa.

I got my visa for my job 2 days before I started work and I gave my application in 3 months prior. If that gives you any indication on how fast visas are approved. I was allowed to stay while the new visa was being processed I was unemployed for about 6 weeks of that.

Obviously it helped already having another visa application in the works.

Sandgroperin,

Thanks a lot for your reply!

But reading the first page of this topic, people state that the Residence have nothing to do with the work, and ofcourse others say that it does have a relation with the work itself. So, I guess I will have to ask the AB.

Regarding, your stay while you were waiting for your new visa. Was your old Residence stamp going to end, and they gave you an extension? Or it was just a normal process that they do when you apply for a new job?

Ok, I was under the impression it -was- still valid even if I lost my job, at least that is what the initial lawyer who my company hired for the process implied.

I think we might have had a little misunderstanding since that is what I think too. :)

You might want to re-post your question in the other forum. I saw it and noticed that you only received one response. <_<