Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Advice on opening a cafe in Berlin

10 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm planning on opening a cafe with some friends here in Berlin, concentrating mainly on speciality tea from around the world. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what I'm likely to need in terms of licences and accreditations and the like, or at least on where I might be able to find such information. How much does this vary according to what you're serving e.g. what extra licences are required if you want to do food or shisha pipes? What's the minimum amount of money you reckon one could get a cafe up and running for, bearing in mind that we're not too fussy about what we use for furniture, decorations, etc. as long as we can create a comfortable atmosphere? Are there places where we could find second-hand equipment (fridges, stoves, kitchen apparatus) and furniture for cheap? How harsh are Health and Safety rules here?

We also would ideally like to find a venue large enough to fit our cafe (which doesn't necessarily have to be huge) and also provide living space for at least 3 people, possibly a couple more. Does anyone know of anywhere that fits this description, preferably in Friedrichshain, Kreuzberg or perhaps even north Neukoelln?

Oh, and one last thing. Does anyone know what the status of shisha pipes will be when the smoking ban is introduced?

So many questions! I look forward to reading your answers.

Hey all! I noticed this was a really old topic with no replies, but I would like to 're-ask' all those questions again... There must be someone out there who knows the answers to some of these problems for aspiring entrepreneurs! ANY advice would be most welcome!

Hi BBN www.bbn-velbert.de should be able to help they are a Germany company but the CEO speaks fluent English they provide a range of consultancy services from self employed to multinational companies.

Got o Berlin partner GmbH It's an english site at first sight aimed at big business but actually they also provide services and information for small businesses. Of course if your german skills are good enough you can go to http://www.berlin.de and look up "Gewerbeamt".

It's a huge difference wether you want to serve alcoholic beverages or not. Or if you prepare food to sell at your venue. If you want to allow smoking or not. Regulations and the control of them are indeed strict!

bump -- I too am interested in figuring out what it takes to open a café, and what kind of products we can produce/sell on the side...

Hopefully you've done your homework on the specific location(s) you're looking at - Berlin is very well served for cafés these days, so it would have to be offering something really special to survive in what is always a tough and competitive sector.

Having said that, it's not my field of expertise so I have real respect for anyone who can make it in gastronomy.

On 14.9.2016, 00:42:09, hopefulbaker1234 said:

bump -- I too am interested in figuring out what it takes to open a café, and what kind of products we can produce/sell on the side...

If you are serious about it the berlin school of coffee offers courses on exactly this subject with a focus on the berlin market.  The full 5 days costs quite a bit, but compared to the costs of actually opening a cafe it is nothing, there is also an option for a 1 day planning training which does not include barista and management skills.  http://berlinschoolofcoffee.de/en/kursangebot/blockkurse/existenzgrunderwoche/

I have no connection to the place, other than that I have been to a few of their seminars.

On 9/13/2016, 5:42:09, hopefulbaker1234 said:

I'd like to make a lot of money.  Can someone figure it out for me?

15 minutes ago, catjones said:

I'd like to make a lot of money.  Can someone figure it out for me?

Catjones in Cologne?

May I suggest you stay where you are and don't move to Berlin?