Günther Murphy's Irish pub has closed

330 posts in this topic

Funny that, my favourite ever night in there was dancing on the tables when the argies beat england in 1998 :lol:

Well, the buyer of murphys bought the entire building including the hotel above, so I reckon that is probably bollox

i'm sorry to report the doctor's drinking career, though revived from time to time, has slowed down considerably due to the rigors of old age, home owning, marriage, a sudden interest in physical fitness (keep it on the sly - he's a member of a gym) and so forth.

Alas, it comes to us all. Please delete the bit about physical fitness and membership of a gym. If Mme Sin gets to see it I'll be carted off twice a week for an hours torture on a bike that doesn't go anywhere.

i'm sorry to report the doctor's drinking career, though revived from time to time...

From time to time? I'm drunk right now!

And it's only 10am there, right? Good man. ;)

A few beers and my mind drifts back:

Graham, The Limerick boys, Stubbsie and wise Jono from Dublin, The Sisters of Murphys, Johnny 'Shakemaker' Filth and TC, Jerome, little Lambie and his comical aggression (I still loved the way he would throw his weissbier glass at the gent's door to hit a millisecond after the geezer that had annoyed him had closed it. Always emptied the glass first, mind), Berlin Antje, her beautiful breasts and her brother Surfer Peter, Anja the (very naughty) barmaid and dodgy Harry, big Bee and Irish Ian, Zoie the barmaid (and my lodger. Now a Policewoman in The Met), Stakes, getting soaked in beer when Shearer scored because when someone jumped, everybody jumped (place was heaving), queing to get in, lanky Greg the barman (who I believe is still here) and his brother Roger, Champagne Stuart and Seanie, Cockney Kelly and Stinky Frannie (and her tendency to get pissed and put her finger in your mouth. "What the fuck are you doing, Frannie?" "Well I just wondered what it would be like..." "Well don't!"), Concordia and the Russian *cough* professional ladies, the Alte Heide Mafia, the ladies of Finland and Mad Michelle, a Kerry girl who broke my heart.

Planet M was my home during 1999-2003, but when you get older, get married and have kids you can't get out so much, so when you do go back you know less and less people until you start to feel like an outsider. I suppose that's the way of life.

less and less people

Ah Sin! Is this what memories of Planet M does to your otherwise impeccable English?

I'm gutted!

Love that phrase. It's soooo workingclass. TTers seem to love it. I, like Melchitt in Blackadder,

intend to use it more often in conversation.

May this rather dull morning nevertheless allow your refulgent soul to attain its usual zenith!

Sin: Some of those names bring back some good memories and "GM´s" was also a regular home for me when I first came over in '93. I especially remember the days when you had to queue for up to 1hr outside on a Friday/Saturday night as it was so packed in there. Fortunately I managed to get my hands on a card (from Alan) to jump the queue if the bouncer didn't recognise me! :) I must scan that in.

For me it was always a place where I could go and there would always be someone in that top left-hand corner by the bar that I knew. Sadly over the years those people either left Munich or went back less and less due to other reasons and once that core crowd went there was not really a similar crowd to replace them. It was always the best place to watch a sporting event on the TV's and it was indeed a mad night in there after the Germany 1 England 5 match, amongst many other crazy nights.

Not only was there great times had in there but I met my wife-to-be in that place back in Oct 2002 (wedding in August!) so a lot of good things happened there.

As others have said already, I wish the management and staff well for the future. Reading all the posts from people in this thread I probably know many of you by face from those early years but don't know the people behind the TT member name!

Thanks pjoyce. We used to arrive at the back of the queue on a Friday/Saturday night and just phone down. Somebody would come up and let us past the rottweilers (remember the little Turkish nutter?), and yep, the top left hand corner by the hatch was always The Locals corner. When was the last time we saw a queue outside Planet M to get in? Also remember frantically cycling back from the 5:1 at the Olympiastadium with TC to find the place wall-to-wall and everybody holding up their ticket to say, "I was there". Mad, mad night. Then there was TC throwing girlie panties at Johnny Shakemaker as he did karaoke with Gerald. I think I know where he got them (he had a 'sport' of turning up at the HBH at about 8pm on a Friday and pulling drunk American tourists... much to the annoyance of his then Finnish girlfriend). Do you remember the 'Show us yer tits' game?

A sad day for Munich. Lots of memories - like many here it's where I started with TT - stood around the wishing well with Jeeves, pootle, EB, DW and the rest. RIP, and best of luck to all the staff.

Sin, your mention of Johnny Shakemaker transported me back to the pre-Scogs era when I was freshly re-singled and finally making the friends I had missed in 15 years of marriage. Back when the foosball table had not taken over the waiting-room off the stage.

Yes, it's very sad. I wish I could remember the time I spent in there in 2005 so that I had the memories. :wacko:

Just spoke to one of the guys who used to work there. He says they won't be opening anything new in Munich. Though they'll probably open up a coffee shop in Ireland. so all the best to them!

Such a shame, I use to occasionally run the Karaoke there. :(

Anyone heard from or know that guy Alan from Dublin who used to work there before he opened Leons Pub, is he still living here even?