Günther Murphy's Irish pub has closed

330 posts in this topic

So I went down to Günther Murphy's Irish pub tonight to go do the quiz... and we were greeted by a big sign on the door saying that after 16 years the pub has closed it's doors for the last time.

Anyone know why?! It seems so sudden for it to be shut.

Where are we going to drink now!?

Update: Official word has been posted...

After 16 years in business we have closed. Thanks to the staff, they are a great team and have been fantastic since the news broke. Thanks again. ...read more

UPDATE: The premises are now a Greek restaurant, see: Papatakis - Greek bar and restaurant

post-16-1182838371.gif

Really? Bloody hell.

Surely me and Grinner going off the drink at the same time can't have caused that much of a ripple in the booziverse?

Nothing on their website saying anything.

We kinda half thought/hoped someone was taking the piss but looks pretty genuine. :(

Hope nothing bad's happened...but i just don't get why it shut so suddenly and without warning!

This is odd. I had no idea The Devil Himself spent so much money in there! Seriously though, I thought that place always did a very good trade. Can't imagine there won't be new owners in there soon if the current owners are simply just selling up.

Gunthers is here 16 years so this is an ex pat landmark event. This place actually means alot to some people and remember that the Toytown tuesday nights have been visiting here for a few years now.

I am really going to miss this place. Was absolutely shocked to find the sign on the door tonight after 7 years drinking there!! :(

Where will we go for karaoke???

Not sure what the story is at all. Had a big Gaelic football bash in there on Saturday night and then wham bam it's closed with no warning. Strange!! Do the bar staff actually know they're closed???

All I say is thanks to all the bar staff and beer fairies over the years, you served us well and I hope you'll all be looked after and find a job somewhere as good as Murphys!!

Keep the conjecture til ye know the facts lads. 'Twill be missed. No doubt. D & N, thanks kids ye've been more than good, we'll look out for ye, no doubt, life goes on.

It's a shocker all right - thanks GMs for all the years and many many (too) many beers. You shall be missed.

Bierfairy tuca, the lovely Diane, Nick, Sam and the rest, cheers and hope things work out, keep your respective chins up.

Keep the conjecture til ye know the facts lads.

Conjecture?

Is that spreading rumours? Ive heard stuff but none of it is here in words on this fourm. Thats conjecture but fact is fact and the gaff is closed. Two notices, one in the window of each door, in case one isnt enough!!

The bits about as to why it's closed? That'd be the conjecture part...excuse me for allowing for some random subjective pedantry because some friends lost their jobs. Arpswaddetry. Been drinking there since 1992, watched 4 World Cups there, very sorry to see it go and sorrier to see some friends suddenly out of jobs.

Wait a big buggering hell of a minute there! GM's has closed? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

That is one of the saddest bits of news I have heard in a long time. I am genuinely gutted for everyone involved

...if it is true, that is... I will wait and see whether it is genuine or not.

wtf?!? I go away for 2 months, and this is what happens?!? I am a sad fairy today... didnt even have a chance to say good-bye...

Until you actually have the facts for closing then I think it is even worse form bad mouthing the owners like that.