Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Summer holiday reading list

17 posts in this topic

I love reading and anyone who has seen my bookshelf will know how unfortunately true that is (its overflowing and books are stacked three deep).

So, I am going on holiday in two weeks and need a nice wedge of books to take with me (no matter how busy I am, I feel naked without a book).

Any fiction or non fiction suggestions (history, popular science, travel) very much appreciated!

Of course, the new Harry Potter is on my wish list, however that won´t be till late July.

Kate Atkinson, wholesale. Anything by her is fascinating reading.

John Irving. I have only read "Hotel New Hampshire" and "The Cider House Rules", very captivating.

Jane Austen. Nuff said.

I bought two of Keydeck´s however they were ones I had already read anyway...

Thanks, will do, if I am short of other ideas!

edit, to Sarabyrd, Have read everyone of John Irving´s books. Great reading. Will look at Kate Atkinson.

Miracle in the Andes by Nando Parrado is one of my favourite books. It really helps put the shit times in your life into perspective.

Edit: The Amazon page doesn't give a proper account, but this is the story of the Uraguayan rugby team that crashed in the Andes mountains and survived by cannibalism, as told by one of the two men who survived the crash and walked out of the mountains into Chile 72 days later to get help for his friends.

If you like humor try anything by Tom Sharpe (British/South African humor: Wilt, Riotous Assembly, Indecent Exposure, Ancestral Vices, The Great Pursuit, Blot on the Landscape, Porterhouse Blue) or Carl Hiaasen (American humor: Lucky You, Skin Tight, Sick Puppy, Native Tongue, Striptease).

Miracle in the Andes by Nando Parrado is one of my favourite books. It really helps put the shit times in your life into perspective.

Edit: The Amazon page doesn't give a proper account, but this is the story of the Uraguayan rugby team that crashed in the Andes mountains and survived by cannibalism, as told by one of the two men who survived the crash and walked out of the mountains into Chile 72 days later to get help for his friends.

They made a film about it called Alive. While the credits role the song "Ave Maria" (Aaron Neville) plays - HAUNTINGLY BEAUTIFUL.

Isabel Allende. Beautiful writer. Her book Paula, about her daughter, is extremely moving (yet sad). The House of the Spirits is awesome.

I used to love John Irving - A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of my all time favorites. I just can't get into his more recent stuff though.

renia, come over to my place and have a look at my books. i have some good holiday (non)fiction novels. no need to buy :)

Unfortunately I can't make the same offer as planetmoni as Renia's already been through my collection... the girl is voracious!! :)

just finished Zadie Smith's 'On Beauty' and that was great.

I also am a read-a-holic...would rather read any day than watch tv! (that probably makes me a huge nerd, but whatever)...anyhoo...

Favorite book: The TimeTraveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger

Recently read, and loved: The Labyrinth, by Kate Mosse

Best girly,beachy, feel-good book: Debutant Divorcee, by Plum Sykes...OR...Bergdorg Blondes, by Plum Sykes

Book I've re-read at least a hundred times: Summer Sisters, by Judy Blume

A tour de force to read (1,344 pages) but a gem: ... and Ladies of the Club, Helen H. Santmyer.

@ gs: I lost my patience with Time Traveler's Wife. Much too passive, a poor rendition of a modern Penelope. But worth reading, I do not deny.

They made a film about it called Alive.

The move Alive was actually based on this book by Piers Paul Read, while the one I mentioned above is an autobiographical account by one of the survivors. In the book by Nando Parrado, he mentions Alive and says that, while it is a good book, it misrepresented some of the survivors and non-survivors.