Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dogs trained to pick up litter

15 posts in this topic

Jens Tinschert, a Munich-based animal trainer, has taught his three dogs to pick up litter and throw it into garbage cans. It all started when he tried to prevent them from eating chicken bones (in a beergarden, I presume) by giving them fresh wieners instead. The dogs, in their simple canine minds, associated garbage with food and began to bring all kinds of objects to Jens.

He trained them to recognize different types of garbage so that they avoid cigarette butts and broken glass. Teaching them to recognize garbage cans was more demanding as they come in all colors, shapes and sizes - in the beginning they would lay the litter on top of newspaper vending machines. One of them even specializes in coins, providing Jens with pocket money for the Biergarten.

Tinscherts Vierbeiner können den Müll sogar unterscheiden, um Glasscherben und Kippenstummel machen sie einen Bogen. Die siebenjährige Nora ist auf Geldmünzen spezialisiert. Sie weiß: Die sollen nicht in den Mülleimer, sondern zum Herrchen. "Im Biergarten hat mir mein Hund schon die eine oder andere Halbe spendiert", freut sich Tinschert.

Sometimes, however, Nora becomes over-motivated. She once removed someone's half-finished coffee and Jens had to buy the guy a fresh one.

So if you are tired of justifying your keeping a dog, let it keep you. I'm sure Jens will help.

Source: Süddeutsche Zeitung e-paper 22 June 2007

post-16-1182498735.gif

I saw a guy with a couple of dogs a few weeks back doing this.

Simple canine minds, indeed. People associate garbage with food too, otherwise there wouldn't be so many Maccie Ds and Starsucks around. When Nora swiped someone's coffee she probably thought she was doing the guy a favour.

Do they pick up their own shit, or is that still left to their owners?

Simple canine minds, indeed. People associate garbage with food too, otherwise there wouldn't be so many Maccie Ds and Starsucks around. When Nora swiped someone's coffee she probably thought she was doing the guy a favour.

Simple like humans as in not complex like cats.

post-4788-1182507183.jpg

Hey Ruthie, is that schule at 1pm in the Hofgarten still? How much does it cost? We were thinking of bringing Muffin along tomorrow...

It starts at 11 and is in the Hofgarten -- maybe we´ll see you there! -- costs 100 euros, but the first course is a schnuppercourse, so for free.

I am in this guy's Welpenschule on Sundays in the Hofgarten -- great class!

Hi,

I know this is a really old thread but i was wondering what the name might be on this guys hundeschule. Anyone know? Would love it if my two dogs could help me with the cleaning hehe...yes i know, that would be a bonus...i am really only after a good hundeschule :-D

And thanks for the ironi keydeck...trust me, i do google before i post questions here. Sometimes you just google the wrong things perhaps so...