New in the Regensburg area (or new to this forum)

99 posts in this topic

I just returned from the Drivers License office in Regensburg. If you are an American and come from a state that reciprocates with Germany ( with a current licence) then they waive the written and driving test. List of states: http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/drivers_license/

If you don't come from a reciprocating state( like me ) you basically start over. That sucks!!!

In addition, you have to have a translation of the license, Passport/ visa, vision test, and CPR class.

Given that, if you want to save a couple of thousand Euros , fly back to the USA and get a license from one of the reciprocating US States and return to the drivers license bureau after 6 months, pay your 35 Euro and get a license

Hello :)

I can't believe the thread is still kicking! Well, I am STILL in the Parsberg area, and still interested in a meet-up! Except now I have a toddler, and wouldn't mind play dates either.

Problem is, I can't come to Regensburg that often. Hmm.

Hello All!

I will be coming to Regensburg for 6 months(or so) for an internship. I am in the process of looking for a room in a shared flat. I arrive in Germany in November and I have realized, through my own searching and through the searching of friends in Germany, that I picked a bad time to try to become a resident. It seems like my best option at this point would be to find some short term accommodation until things open up a bit more in January. Is this a correct assumption? Also, any ideas on reasonable places to stay? Anyone interested in having an awesome roommate for a short time? :) Hmm... What else? Oh yea, my internship is right near the HBF and I don't mind walking or biking solid distances especially if it'll keep the cost of rent down. I can only afford roughly 200/month warm. Any ideas of sections of the city or nearby areas to look? Also, any good options for inexpensive german language classes? I've picked up a bit, literally a bit, through traveling in Germany, from trying out books and a cd, and from my German friends and girlfriend, but I think a class would be a good idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I look forward to meeting some of you for some litres and conversation in the kings... err, I guess I should say Presidents english? Yea... So thanks in advance! I really appreciate any help and/or insight!!!

And, I will be available for child care/house/pet sitting once I'm in town!

Hello.

I dont know why November is a bad time, Frau Digital and myself moved into our crib in November.

Any area is fine, I dont think you'll want to bike in the snow, but you can always take the bus. As far as classes, I'm not sure if you can go to the VHS, but thats where most people go.

Good luck in your roommate searching and moving here. Feel free to ask any other questions.

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie to the forum, who just moved to Regensburg a couple of months ago. I don't really speak German, so I was really happy to find your site. Anyway, here's my situation. I'm looking for a restaurant in Regensburg where I can get an American style Thanksgiving dinner, on Thanksgiving. Doesn't have to be 10 courses, I can live with Turkey and stuffing. Now, yes, I realize that Thanksgiving is only an American holiday and that the pilgrims came from England, not Germany, but I'm hoping to find a place anyway. I spent my last Thanksgiving in Seoul, eating something called a "Crazy Burger",so I'd really like to get some turkey this year. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks bobby! I just meant that it was hard to find a room in a flat in my price range since the semester had started in October and many places were filled already. I lucked out through a friend of a friend of a friend and have a small room for very inexpensive a couple of cool roommates and only a 20walk to work. I will check out the VHS soon and see what is available. Thanks again!

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum and to Regensburg! I moved over here from the UK with my wife and son at the end of February and while have have been visiting this forum for a while before we moved, this is my first day of posting! I am in my early 30s and currently playing house husband at the mo, with my wonderful wife is earning the pennies, hopefully this will change soon! I am a postdoctoral research scientist and so hope to get a position based at the University or Biopark, any help or pointers for the German job market will be gratefully received!). While I am new to Regensburg my wife studied here and so we have a good idea of the location of shops, places to visit etc, but I would like to meet up with some expats to reminisce abour chedder cheese, prawn cocktail crisps and the like. Hope to meet some fellow posters soon!

Beer bike is coming up, as well as Bikes and Cameras shoot around. If you like football you can always catch one of us at Murphy's for Championship League. The 13th annual Munich Photo Scavenger Hunt is coming up for the last weekend of April. We will be taking about 8 Regensburgers down to Munich for that. Its quite fun and you get to meet a lot of ex-pats from various countries. PM me for more info.

Oh yeah good luck in your job search.

@DieJohnsons I know what you mean. my wife supported me while I learned what I consider passable German :) The long hours in the VHS paid off because now I've been working for a German company for almost 7 months and complaining about my work schedule and lack of free time.. ha ha ha. All in all though it's great to be out and about making some money. You'll be out doing the same in no time.. don't worry. I'm American and I know the hurdles of trying to make it in a foreign land, but if you can make it in the UK with that funny language then you can make it here!

Hi Everyone.

New to this forum. I live in Nuremburg (Gostenhoff) ahem.. excuse the spelling! Moved here last September from Cambridge England.

Just here to say h1!

I am a postdoctoral research scientist and so hope to get a position based at the University or Biopark

This is good timing to look at Biopark. I guess also depends what sort of research/work you are looking for. What is your scientific field?

Cheers

Hi Everyone!

I am moving to Regensburg in May and looking forward to meeting new people there. Would love to meet up for a coffee, picknics near the Danube river (with or without kids), bike rides, and many other good things to enjoy summer in the city!

I am 29 y.o. girl, originally from Ukraine, have lived in Germany, Italy and South of France so far, and have a 2 y.o. kid.

See you soon!

I'll chime in too and say that I will also be moving to Regensburg soon (June) with my husband and three daughters (4, 23 months, and 1 month) - so perhaps we can organise a summer "New in Regensburg" meetup!

talking about meeting people and so on... Just a tiny reminder: tonight Pub Quiz at Murphys Law, starts at 9.

Might be worth a visit in order to meet new people.

Is that every Wednesday, or just tomorrow?

Well I do believe they are trying to restart this. So after tomorrow there should be a better idea. Also some ideas are being tossed around for future gatherings.

Hi, My name is Emrah, and I have come to Regensburg to do a part of my fellowship program at the Regensburg University.

I have been here 2 weeks and am starting to get really bored from coming home after uni and eating on my own.

So anyone in Regensburg these days? If so contact me so I can buy you a beer :))