New in the Regensburg area (or new to this forum)

99 posts in this topic

Hi all... Just moved with our young family to Regensburg in January. Still trying to get used to living abroad, it's a lovely town, but can be lonely sometimes for a newbie! We finally have visitors coming and am wondering where we should travel... We're picking them up in Munich and planning a 4 day road trip somewhere... any ideas? Our youngest traveler is 3 and oldest 60... (FYI - they have never been to Europe, so anything is a go...) Thanks!

Salzburg, Austria

Vienna, Austria

Berchtesgaden, Germany

Prague, Czech Republic

Croatia

Italy

Austria would bea good consideration if you are up to par with your german. Salzburg is not that far away , a lovely city, and since it is small very easy to walk across.

hello all,

i moved to Poikam 3 months ago and i dont know really many people here in Regensburg. i have a son who is 3,5 and i would like to get together with english speaking people.i lived in the States for 5 years and 2 years in Mexico and now we r in Germany. my husband is german but we still have the habit of speaking english at home...with kids without kids or all the family...i am all open...

Well for all regensburgers do not forget it is the Dult opening weekend and the weather is perfect! Cruised though today and had a wonderful time and remember the Kneitinger beer tent is a must if only for the beer!

We just spent some time at the Dult - so fun!! You can't go wrong with a beer and ride on the ferris wheel - what a view!! Also, thank you for all of the suggestions on places to go with our visitors. Happy Mother's Day!! :)

Hello everyone! I've been in Regensburg since the end of April - I just finished university in Canada, am on a working holiday visa here and had planned on starting out staying with friends here while I looked to Berlin or Munich for work opportunities. Well, a short stay turned into a slightly longer one as I registered for a DaF course at the VHS in town, which ends at the end of this month, and I'm finding I really don't want to leave! I'm loving the atmosphere here and so am now looking for work around town. If you want to hang out with a native-English speaker, let me know; if you need a babysitter/ house sitter/pet sitter, also let me know; and if you know of someone in search of English tutoring or know of a great place for friendly English speakers to find work, give me a shout! My German is at B1 level right now, but I'm learning more all the time. I speak fluent French, too, so if you know of any need for that in the city...

I do not see why we have to share this thread with the Franken folk...elitist that lot.

Hawadere, perdido. You are right. They do not consider themselves Bavarians anyway!

May be sending my hubby that way for a few pints... soccer, beer - he needs to unwind, what a good way to do so.

Hello there, I will be living in Hohenfels starting tues... (I am flying in then)... Just wanted to know how the area is and i see on the map that Regensburg is very close... Anyone recommend any good restaurants? bars? pubs?

Grüß aus Etzenricht bei Weiden i. d. OPf.,

Volks- und. Schützenfest Weiden i. d. OPf. starts tomorrow until 16 August 2009. Also, the Gäubodenvolksfest in Straubing/Niederbayern runs a similar timeline. (until 17 Aug)

Servus

@Mesomar

I worked in Hohenfels from 1 Aug 2001 til 1 March 2002. I lived in 92355 Velburg-Lengenfeld. Check out Sam Kullman's American diner. Perhaps perdido could point you in the right direction. (I haven't been to Regensburg in a while)

Hello there, I will be living in Hohenfels starting tues... (I am flying in then)... Just wanted to know how the area is and i see on the map that Regensburg is very close... Anyone recommend any good restaurants? bars? pubs?

Kuhlman american cafe is about 3-400 meters down from the HBF. Suite 15 , Susie Wong, and Murphy's Law are good places to congregrate. Murphys will almost have an english speaking crowd present . If you are a NFL fan Michael at Murphys will have screens showing the games until 1 am on Sunday night. You can also buy Helles by the picther there and rthe shepards pie is actually quite good. For live music try The Irish Harp off the Steinenbrücke. If you have any questions feel free to PM:

Hello Everybody. I'm new of this forum and soon I'll be also new of the Regensburg area. I know the city but I wasn't planning to move there from San Antonio, TX.

My girlfriend is a native and she is not willing to move so I have to follow her and leave everything behind. Of course I'm pretty scared and that's why I decided to be part of this forum and ask some questions. I do not speak a word of German. How difficult is it to learn it? Are they any schools? How difficult is it to find a job (I hold an Italian passport as well so I can work in Germany) for a 37 years old male? A decent job of course. Maybe at the base? How is it the American community in the Regensburg area?

Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.

Hello, all.

I've recently moved to Regensburg from Bratislava, another city on the Danube, but am from the Great Plains, U.S. Since arriving, I've been adjusting to the gray skies, learning my way around the city, and have registered for a class at the VHS. I confess I'm looking forward to the next Books and Bagels meeting (I miss access to English language books and a good bagel almost as much as I miss spicy food), but in the meantime, if there are any English or Italian speakers out there who would like to meet up for a beer or glass of wine, please let me know!

Hope to meet some of you soon.

Heidi

Kuhlman american cafe is about 3-400 meters down from the HBF. Suite 15 , Susie Wong, and Murphy's Law are good places to congregrate. Murphys will almost have an english speaking crowd present . If you are a NFL fan Michael at Murphys will have screens showing the games until 1 am on Sunday night. You can also buy Helles by the picther there and rthe shepards pie is actually quite good. For live music try The Irish Harp off the Steinenbrücke. If you have any questions feel free to PM:

I went to Murphy's tonight hoping to watch American football...I only saw one screen, I asked about American football, and all we watched were interviews with Soccer coaches...:( disappointed...