Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where to watch American football in Nuremberg

30 posts in this topic

Hey all. New to Germany. Living in Munich, but occassionally in Erlangen/Nuremberg. Just looking to see if anyone can help my associates and I out in finding a good spot to watch NFL football games come September/October. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Has anyone come up with a place to watch american football in Nurnberg? I am new to the city, and dying to watch the buckeyes today. In a couple of weeks I will have Slingbox installed, but until then if I could find a bar that shows american games it would make me a happy man!

Hey TT: New resident in Nuremberg, but I've been lurking on the forums since I got my relocation assignment in summer. I'm looking to see if there are any places that have--or can-- broadcast college football games here in the area. I've contacted an Irish pub (who shall remain nameless), but no answer yet. This was my first weekend in town, and I didn't realize how much I miss watching the games. Has anybody had any experience with ESPN 360-dot-com? That'll be my next step if this falls flat.

Cheers,

G

One week later, and only a close call to show for it: The Arabella Sheraton Hotel Carlton (Eilgutstraße 15) carries something called the North American Sports Network, which airs some NCAA games... but in an email exchange their representative told me that their bar/lounge "will not reserve a channel for American football." Not sure what that means or entails-- I mean, if you have 10 folks there buying drinks and enjoying the game, they'd probably keep it on... at least that's my interpretation, but it's a far cry from definitive-- and a good indication that there would have to be a group of pople going in and requesting that an existing program be bumped for this. The other hotel in town that carries this network is Le Méridien Grand Hotel Nuremberg (Bahnhofstrasse 1-3), but I've been unable to get a hold of them. Theoretically, there may be bars that carry this channel here and there, but the network doesn't list any in Nuremberg yet (Stuttgart, yes, but not anyplace else in the country). The search continues.

http://www.nasn.com/content/nasn/portal.nsf

OK, poking around the NASN site, and it seems that it can be ordered for home viewing with your cable TV tiers (I don't have TV installed yet, but this is instructive for ALL of Germany). Please link

:De" target="_top">http://www.nasn.com/content/nasn/portal.ns...nt/howtoget::De

Well keep me posted if you guys arrange a game showing there and need bodies. I can probably bring in two if not three if a good game is on. I am "down the street" from you.

That Texass / Okie game was fun as hell to watch tonight! Not that I'm rubbing it in or anything... ;)

I would consider hosting a TT college ball evening one of these weekends if anyone is interested. I live in Parsberg smack dab between Nurnberg and Regensburg. Easy to get to from the A3 and the train station is only a 5-10 minute walk from my house. I have AFN and they show 6-10 ball games a week. They only post the schedules of what games they are going to show a week beforehand, however. They almost always show the biggest games of the week though. We'd probably have to watch the earlier games as I won't stay up until 3am unless Oregon State is on :D

I may have some friends over from Regensburg next weekend to watch whatever is on, so if anyone is interested, PM me.

That Texass / Okie game was fun as hell to watch tonight! Not that I'm rubbing it in or anything...

I may have some friends over from Regensburg next weekend to watch whatever is on, so if anyone is interested, PM me.

This couple of friends would not happen to be from Eugene? Also who won the texas oklahoma game?

Actually, no :) But I know of who you talk and I would definitely extend the invite to them. It's my old German neighbor, his wife and possibly a buddy of his.

Texas won a great game. It was close with about 5 minutes to go and then Texas pulled away. Some really iffy calls in the game going both ways, but it didn't take away from anything. Both teams looked really good. Okay, I may throw up if I keep speaking positively about Texass ;)

I have had my Slingbox operational for about a year over here now- my brother helped me out by allowing me to have an additional cable box added in his spareroom that I have 100% control over, and also installing the slingbox that I had shipped to his house. Costs just around $5 per month on his monthly cable bill to have an extra cable box, which I pay in annual installments to my tight brother, and a 1 time cost of around ~$100 for the actual Slingbox device purchase. If you want to be really cheap you can just tap into their normal cable box already hooked up to their TV (avoid monthly fee), but this leads to huge battles when someone is watching a TV program in their house that you don't want to see;) I do not recommend this.

I caught the TX/OK game yesterday- really good one! Then watched my Buckeyes work to an unimpressive win, but a win nonetheless. How about Michigan getting beat by Toledo!? Almost as good as App State!

Anyway, Slingbox works well for me- not exactly HD, but definitely serves its purpose. I can watch over 200 US channels here, and I don't miss any games. I think that's probably your best solution over here, as nobody in Nuremberg cares about US football. You too can be lounging on your couch in Nuremberg, favorite Bavarian beer on hand, watching football most of the weekend. I have a really big TV room- maybe I should just open up an expat bar in my flat? Wife would probably enjoy that...

Okay, I may throw up if I keep speaking positively about Texass

I would think with OSU's dismal record as of late* you would have a stronger stomache. ;)

* Except the Dennis Erickson years or do you not wish to speak of his name?

I think that's probably your best solution over here, as nobody in Nuremberg cares about US football.

Yes and no. I think there are enough bodies to get into a pub and change some things. I have seen it before. You just need to let management what you have to offer in return of them obliging a bit. Especially on a Sunday night. I know a few germans, yes germans, that enjoy watching NFL action just not the AFN advertisments. I prefer to drink in a pub with mates although having a few pints at home is also nice and cheaper.

Guys: Good to hear of your successes.

Perdido: Are you from Portland? Just moved from there myself.

Beav: My wife, despite having gone to a certain University in Eugene, is OK.

Sethchapman: As a Purdue grad, I was up 'til 1:00 listening to streaming audio of an AM station out of Hammond, IN that did not contractually block their broadcast. I knew that PU was going down (their offense stinks this year), but all the same, I would have loved to have seen the game.

I'll contact that hotel bar to see if they can be persuaded to air a game if they know that a couple folks are specifically coming in to see it. Also, the URL link above for the NASN network is screwy. Following is their home page-- just look for the "Get NASN" link to read more about it. In Germany, there are 5 providers (satellite and cable combined) for this network, including T-Mobile's T-Home service. It would appear that any bar that carries the "Arena" package (and there are several that advertise this service outside their establishment) can also get this network.

http://www.nasn.com/content/nasn/portal.nsf

Alternately, ESPN 360(dot)com offers monthly subscriptions for EU 9.99 I don't follow any other sports (OK, Aussie Rules Football, but that's another thread entirely), so a couple months at 10 Euros/per isn't all that bad, especially my bar/food tab for one evening of college football viewing would probably come close to 30 Euros, if not more.

Let's keep in touch.

G

Perdido: Are you from Portland? Just moved from there myself.

G

I am The Portlandonian on this web site. I left rain town for a town called rain town. I love misery. Well we are booked next week for some dinner party I think sunday but definately lets keep on this topic. I am tired of catching the last train from Münich on a pisser although I like saying "hauptbahnhof schnell man!...bitte" to the cabbie . Hee hee Cowboy game on the 26th should be an early game at the arc so I plan to be there for that. Other than that I am open to most options. Oberplfalz!!

Hello!

Just wanted to add in - even though I imagine I´m not adding any info thats very new!

I really enjoy being overseas - but sometimes I just get this urge to sit back and watch a good old fashioned American football game. I´ve been a diehard Washington Redskins fan since the early ninties, when I was about 13 or 14, even though I come from Southern California. Anyhow this year Ive been up way too late listening to the live-stream audio of the games... It was a little weird at first, felt like I was living back in the 50´s or something sitting next to a radio, but Ive gotten used to it and you just have to use your imagination. My girlfriend goes a bit crazy though :-p

http://www.espn980.com/

I believe you can get some other games through that webpage once you open it, though I havent checked them all out yet.

A few years ago I subscribed to the live NFL broadcasts through the internet for a couple of weeks, but my computer was too slow or the feed wasnt very good... (probably was my PC!!!)... it just drove me crazy trying to watch as it jammed, lagged, and jumped around. Do any of you guys use this?? I live in Erlangen but havent checked if Wheelers or any of the other pubs play any games yet...

I don't think anyone in Nuremberg carries these games regularly- one of the guys was talking about trying to convince one of the bar owners, which I would fully support. I mentioned that I have a Slingbox, which I think has made some significant advances in the past year- I watch the games here, projected from my computer onto my Flatscreen, and it is pretty close to the regular thing- not HD, but steady stream and no constant pausing, etc. Maybe once ever 2 or 3 hours it will act up for a second, and I just have to go hit play again.

This technological gem has greatly improved my mood of big game days, and also reduced my weekend sleeping. I suppose I can record these, but then if it loses the feed I guess I would miss the whole rest of the game- that could be devastating.

Recommend the Slingbox- my computer is fine with it installed, no issues, can sit on the couch with a beer and enjoy like back home. You just need a friend or family member to take the slinbgox and hook it up to a cable box. There doesn't even need to be a TV- my brother has a cable box stuck in a closet that serves as my lifeline. I ordered a Slinbox (around $100) and sent it to his house, and gave him $5 a month for the extra cable box, and that was it. You go to the Slingbox website and download the software in 5 minutes for free. Brother emailed me the codes, then open slingbox software, type them in, and you are in business. Fairly simple process.

My buddy back home just bought some old RV (shades of Randy Quaid) and loaded up with some of the guys at 2 am today for East Lansing. Maiden voyage of "The Tressel Vessel". Hopefully they can squeak one out, then at least the Penn State game next week will really mean something. Would be a miracle if we won both though.

Maybe we should start up a semi-pro league here in Nuremberg, and start generating more interest.. convnce them that throwing the ball and tackling instead of just kicking is much more exciting;)

Nothing to add to this thread other than Go Ducks! And bye weeks suck. Nice to see some NCAA talk!

Sethchapman:

Not sure if these guys are still around or not, but there is/was a semipro team in the area, the Erlangen Sharks. Somebody told me that at least some of the players are expat Adidas employees who used to play ball back in the day. If I'm reading this correctly, they started practice last month, but they appear to play in the summertime.

http://www.erlangen-sharks.de/

Erlangen Sharks (Wikipedia)

http://sharksgallery.blogspot.com/

I'm still on the prowl to encourage some of the local pubs to at least consider airing a football game, but it's a tough road to hoe especially now that soccer season is heating up. This NASN network (owned, at least in part by ESPN) seems to be the way to go, and once I have cable (full disclosure: I'm living in a long-term residential hotel until my apartment is finished construction in mid-November), I'll be selecting that package. But tonight, I'll be listening to streaming audio to hear my woeful Boilermakers duke it out with 5-1 Northwestern. Wireless connection, high-zoot computer... all to hear AM radio quality sound!

G

Truthfully it is easier to get them to show NFL than NCAA due to the footsie season. Sunday night usually nothing on so NFL is shown with great ease. The english pubs that have sky will have access to the NFL games. Well at least one. If you can procure an AFN like the Beaver then your problems are solved. I usually just go to the Arc in Münich or listen on my NFL pass (radio) if I need to get work done.