Songs that bring a tear to your eye

95 posts in this topic

Grinner - that was damn good.

I just lost my grandma a couple of months ago and since I was here in Germany, I couldn't make it back for the funeral in Oregon.

I'm sorry for your loss. We have the memories and I still smile when thinking about all of them. Nothing can take those away.

right before I flew over here from Calgary they played this on the radio, (teddy bear) I remember hearing this man calling into the station at the end of the song complaining that he couldn't get out of his car to go into work cause he was crying. The announcer admited that she hadn't listened to the song herself as it played, since she knew she had to do the weather straight afterwords and didn't want to be blubbering.

Now I have no distinct real reason for going into floods of tears at this, but every time the Commonwealth Games come around, the Norn Iron amateur boxers take to the ring and have Danny Boy sung in lieu of an anthem, after Barry McGuigan's fashion.

They are crying, I'm crying, there's not a dry eye to be seen.

Mike and the Mechanics, In The Living Years

Because I grew up apart from my father and there would have been so much to share. We had a wonderful day together just before he died, but there could have been so many more ...

Ok, Grinner, here's one of my favorite songs that move me beyond tears and speaks to my soul. It's Papa Can You Hear Me. This bring back the fondest memories of my life with my father. My second favorite would be A House is Not a Home by Streisand and Burt Bacharach

Lara Fabian singing Papa Can You Hear Me live with a great ochestra:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTRzd9lIthQ...ated&search=

I think some things are too sad to make songs about. When I was married I remember looking over the bank statements with tears in my eyes. I keep copies of these and look at them when ever my life begins to drift down that road again. It is a bit like sniffing smelling salts – bingo – a very good reality check. I do remember seeing Elvis singing “Are you lonesome tonight

We dont have a recording of this - but when at Steeleye Span concerts in December 2004 (Buxton) & May 2006 (Oxford) Maddy Prior introduced a song that she said she had been singing since she was 17 "I live not where I love" it has the side effect of making my (German) wife burst into tears...

Collected Maddy's, Peter's & Ken's autographs on the cover of Bloody Men last November.

Another tear inducer was the time I was doing some horse branding at a ranch and the horse somehow at lightening speed got his leg through the horizontal bars and kicked me with full fury between my legs. Definitely not something to write a song about.

"I Don't Get No Kick Outa That", sung in falsetto.

Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel or by Elvis does it for me. It doesn't matter how many times I hear it the words sound so meaningful and never corny plus the music is pretty powerful stuff.

The stupidity of war and mans’ pride – the sacrifice of a nations youth and the pain caused to their families. The futile destruction.

The freeing of a whole people from slavery (being bought and breed for manual labour and to be sold like cattle).

The heroism of man. Just the words of this song can bring me to tears and sung with a full musical backing and as an American negro spiritual is awe inspiring.

The Battle Hymn of the Republic

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord

He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored,

He has loosed the fateful lightening of His terrible swift sword

His truth is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!

His truth is marching on.

ln the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,

With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:

As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,