Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is €65k a sufficient salary to live on?

36 posts in this topic

Agreed, you have to quantify "comfortable" in your own terms. Some starting questions:

1. What are your housing expectations? Do you need a stand alone house with yard or you good with living in a city flat.

2. Do you need a car? I lived in FFM for 7 months and had no desire to get into a car but I'm not outdoorsy and make a point of living near work.

3. What kind of schools do you want for your kids? International schools are really pricey, german schools are free but can be complicated.

4. How many times do you go out for dinner a week?

5. Will your company pony up German lessons for you and your wife? How about annual trips home? If not these might be expenses you need to factor into your calculations.

etc. etc.

HTH and Good Luck,

jml

jblik, you'll show up back at your thread after a pleasant evening with the wife and kids and wonder what all these posts are going on about. Don't worry about it, tis par for the course. Whether or not you and yours can survive 'comfortably' on the €65k is not a particularly interesting subject so it'll meander about for a while and eventually be consigned to the ether until someone comes back in a couple of months time and asks a similar question. At that point they'll be directed back here. Tis all part of the game, try to enjoy it. Take whatever useful info you can from the threads you start, use the Search function as much as possible to locate info and you'll be grand.

Edit: Anything JML writes is worth focussing on. She's the bestist person around and her words are pearls.

From what I gathered money talk is a sensitive issue in English-speaking countries, but it isn't that big of a deal to talk about money in Germany, so you're already adjusting quite well considering you haven't even moved here yet. ;)

Is 65.000 Eur enough for a family of 4 to survive in Frankfurt area??

Is your partner planning to sit on his/her fat arse while you work?

Maybe the partner is raising the kiddos? One is only 3 years old and it's not that easy to find a daycare.

If the partner is not working there is no need for a daycare, but yeah, if both want to work, they should keep in mind it might be harder to find one.

My cousin and her hubby have a Tagesmutter (nanny) for their son (who is now 2.5 years old), but that would probably be quite expensive. (Not sure how much they pay her, but I suppose it would only make sense if both partners have well-paying jobs.)

I reckon if I had enough sprogs I could retire. I think I would need around 18-20 to be comfortable...

You any idea what sprogs cost to run? I have two & they cost and arm & a leg & various other parts...

As they get older their costs increase...

Yes it is easily enough to live on. I imagine that with 2 children you are not going to be out boozing and in expensive restaurants every night anyway!

If you are working in Darmstadt I'd also recommend living there. My boyfriend lives there and it really is a nice place especially if you like outdoor things. Also it would be better for kids. Also you'd probably be able to walk/cycle to work and save commuting money/time.

There are lots of expat groups based around the ESOC/Eumetsat staff in Darmstadt but not restricted to people that work there. A few of the members have families and run various camping, windsurfing, skiing, walking trips. If I had a family I'D choose Darmstadt over Frankfurt without giving it a second thought. Darmstadt is smaller yes but there is still everything you need and lots of lively bars/restaurants.

Oops, didn't realize I'd start a flame war. I do appreciate all the responses. I guess I need to find out what the PAYE calculator is.

We'd prefer to live in Darmstadt, and send the kids to German schools. My spouse will not be working. Also, we'd be willing to skip the car, assuming the alternatives were decent.

Public transport is great in Germany. so if you make sure you find a house close to a bus stop and with good infrastructure in the neighborhood (grocery stores etc.) you shouldn't have a problem.

Oops, didn't realize I'd start a flame war. I do appreciate all the responses. I guess I need to find out what the PAYE calculator is.

don't worry about it, TTers love nothing better than a good flame war :P

Don't live in Darmstadt it's one butt ugly city! Live in one of the burbs around there. If you have to come in off the A5 the traffic coming in (don't have map offhand to give the route number) is really bad.

Take home will be around 3600 (70%) singles are taxed much higher than marrieds.

Most germans live in apartments and rents run 600-800 (someone somewhere had a link with rents per sqr mtr listed) plus loads of various costs

Important note on rental contracts, request that you leave the place clean but unpainted. Will save you much hassle should you ever move.

info on Health Care

From what I gathered money talk is a sensitive issue in English-speaking countries, but it isn't that big of a deal to talk about money in Germany, so you're already adjusting quite well considering you haven't even moved here yet.

I know the opposite to be true. German proverb: Geld hat man, darüber spricht man nicht. Anyone ever heard of an equivalent English expression? Generally not allowed here to ask your coworkers how much they earn. Or tell anyone actually, I've seen several contracts that specify talking about your salary to "third parties" is forbidden.

Daycare -- Friends from the US had their kid in daycare here which cost 100 Euros a week as opposed to the 400 $ a week they'd paid at home (numbers from 2005-2006), but here the daycare people did nothing with the kids. Just watched to make sure they didn't kill themselves, but no structured play, no learning to read (the kid was four), no bilingual stuff, etc... and it was hard to get the kid in there too, with not a lot of alternatives in their town.

Well I've been living in Darmstadt now for nearly 20 years and its a very middle class type of town. It is also one of the most expensive places to live in in Germany, quite often coming in around 3rd or 4th most expensive. You might be better off living in one of the suburbs (I actually live nearly in the middle of town and pay for it) as the public transport is excellent here and it will be cheaper. Do not go to far as then, as is with all places, OPV is not as good but still pretty reasonable. The town itself has everything you need, including Brits if thats your fancy, so there is no need to actually really go anywhere else. 65K is enough to live on here, I know plenty of Germans who earn a lot less and have a pretty good lifestyle.