Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is €65k a sufficient salary to live on?

36 posts in this topic

I have an offer to move to the Frankfurt area. I am not sure what the cost of living is and how the salaries compare to USA. Is 65.000 Eur enough for a family of 4 to survive in Frankfurt area?? The job is located in Darmstadt. Is it a lot cheaper outside the city? Any advice would help. Thanks

Well, your profile gives little to go on... Age is a factor.

I'd say Eur 65000 is rather good but I dont live in Frankfurt...

Thanks for the response. Ages 29, 31, 7 and 3

Would it be enough to live comfortably or would we be tight??

I'm almost double your age and dont get significantly more than you are offered (but I do get a company car)

As keydeck says it depends on your expectations but you certainly wont starve. Whether you can go out to eat every second evening or have frequent trips away is another matter...

Do you have hobbies/activities that you wish to keep on here (eg does your wife expect to go horse riding twice a week...)

We're big outdoors people. Love to camp, hike, etc. We would like to travel around Europe and see some places. I was hoping that would be enough $ to be able to do some travel too. Nothing fancy though. We're pretty basic

Again it depends. By travel do you mean flying somewhere and spending a couple of weeks or taking the occasional train ride away for a weekend?

€65k, less tax, wouldn't allow me to live comfortably on my own. Comfortably for me being the lifestyle I've grown accustomed to. Hence the question. It's probably not one that you can answer easily though without knowing the rough cost in Frankfurt of everything that you would like to do over the course of 12 months. For example, does your comfort zone include putting a little away for the future? That kind of thing. I don't think anyone, except yourself can really answer the question.

What you could ask however, is how much certain things cost to do in and around the area of Frankfurt and then calculate your annual out-goings based on that information and ultimately decide whether or not that would be comfortable for you.

Maybe it's just me but I would prefer such posts to be worded differently. A lot of people on this site are very sensitive about things like earnings and such discussions often get heated.

Surely it would have been better for you to have started the topic with - what level of salary would a family of 4 living outside of Frankfurt be able to live comfortably off?

Then list the important information that will allow us to reach some kind of conclusion.

Sticking personal pay details in posts can come across as arrogant in certain circles

Surely it would have been better for you to have started the topic with - what level of salary would a family of 4 living outside of Frankfurt be able to live comfortably off?

It's still impossible to answer the question unless you know what 'comfortably' means to the individuals in question.

Maybe it's just me but I would prefer such posts to be worded differently. A lot of people on this site are very sensitive about things like earnings and such discussions often get heated.

How very quaintly old-fashioned of you.

Frankly I think if he wants an honest answer from posters then he is correct to post as much detail as possible. What is the point in fannying around saying stuff like "I have been offered xxxx which is a bit more than 30,000 but not as much as 100,000" and all that crap. Its not like we know the guy personally. Would you be happier if he had said "I have this imaginary friend...".

Bung €65,000 through the PAYE calculator (I cant be bothered) and I guess you end up with about €3,000 nett per month. I assume a house will cost €1,000 in FFT (but others can speak up) leaving €2,000 a month for food and toys. Sounds OK to me. Not gonna be quaffing champage but also enough to stay fed and watered, plus do some road trips around Europe by train or car.

Of course "comfortable" is hard to quantify but we already get an impression he is a guy that likes outdoor pursuits so will be happy with a pushbike, kayak and a fishing rod. So puts him for me at the cheaper end of the scale.

I also now have the image of Keydeck hovering above my house in his personal jetranger...

Edit: Just realised he said "love to camp" in which case I revise my opinion. You are gonna live like a king over here fellah :-) As it happens I think there are some other TTers that love to camp, but this does not generally involve the great outdoors!

I reckon he'd get more than 3k a month, cause he seems to be married with 2 kids. He'll be able to spread the tax load over 2 people, so I reckon he could come out probably a bit over 3.5k a month. Then you add 2 x 150 euros or whatever it is for Kindergeld. So maybe even touching 4k in hand per month. I reckon you could live comfortably, including holidays on that..

Oh yeah forgot - they pay us extra cash for having the luxury of kids.

I reckon if I had enough sprogs I could retire. I think I would need around 18-20 to be comfortable. Would need to cut a deal with a local farmer for cheap porridge and potatoes, but I think the plan has some merit.

Sticking personal pay details in posts can come across as arrogant in certain circles

What circles are you referring too? Are you referring to yourself regarding thinking the posting of the salary amount as arrogant? I would prefer people who make comments like yours to speak for themselves. As if you think it and write it here, than step up and own it!

Conversely, if he said he was offered $25,000 would you or perhaps others feel he was arrogant about him posting the salary?

What circles are you referring too?

Crop circles... I dunno! Certain circles! It is a general comment

Are you referring to yourself regarding thinking the posting of the salary amount as arrogant?

No I am not. I could not care less what he does. However, I try to keep my actual salary as closely guarded as possible as it is certainly not the business of a load of random people on a website.

Does it come across as arrogant? Well, it certainly can, yes.

Believe me LR, if I want to make a personal comment about something then I do and take the responsibility for it. I am not one of those - a friend of a friend of a friend knows someone... Sorry. Not me

A lot of people on this site are very sensitive about things like earnings and such discussions often get heated.

How's he supposed to know that when he's a newbie?

Hes not! Its all part of the hazing ritual. Now he needs to now ask where can he find a copy store, who on TT is from texas, what are the hours of the consulate, and that Rewe now takes credit cards (oh wait mariposa is doing that one ). ;)

Edit: Good luck Jblink.

How's he supposed to know that when he's a newbie?

But there's nothing to know... Discussions on TT can get heated for all sorts of reasons and sensitivities, whatever the topic.

I don't see why people shouldn't post details about their earnings if they so wish - as long as they are comfortable doing so and feel that it can help them get more precise answers to their questions, what's the problem? Why would this be considered arrogant - because another TTer in a similar job is paid less and therefore feels slighted? On the contrary, seeing those figures might help him/her muster the courage to change jobs or go and ask for a pay rise.

Kay, I agree with you absolutely. Why is salary information so sensitive or the person perceived to be arrogant when there is all sorts of personal, highly sensitive topics being discussed on this forum. Like I said, if it was Euros 25,000 than I don't think it would be an issue of someone thinking the thread starter is arrogant. I'm happy for him that he's getting Euros 65,000 and I don't he's arrogant for posting that here. I guess I'm once again outside of the circle.