Favourite quotes

396 posts in this topic

May you live in interesting times - used by many people, but it's thought to have originated as a Chinese curse

Two things define you: Your patience when you have nothing and your attitude when you have everything..

-Anonymous

I like that, Alex! Endaxi! Who said that? What is the n :D ame of this anonymous geezer? I really like it!

"My wife died from a split personality. Largely due to the fact I'd put an ax through her head." ~ Norman Bates.

"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

-- just because something is the law does not mean that it is right...

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee.

"I always knew that someday I would once again feel the grass under my feet and walk in the sunshine as a free man."

~ Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela (18 July 1918 – 5 December 2013)

post-9625-13870963728078.jpg

I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.

- Groucho Marx

The TT German word game.. Guess the Bescheinigung! TT German word game

got me thinking about JABBERWOCKY and brought forth a memory (forthmem) of a poem by Lewis Carroll from "Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872"

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

Brill

Perhaps we need a similar TT English word game, but more gibberish than rule oriented?

"Nothing is impossible; the word itself says 'I'm possible'!"

~ Audrey Hepburn

Fly the airplane.

Basically, when something goes wrong don't get so wrapped up in solving the problem that you forget to fly the plane. Applies to big planes (e.g. AF447) and small planes (like the club member who wrote off his glider earlier this year when he was trying to solve a problem with the retracting auxilliary engine but failed to notice that the airbrakes were fully extended & he was rapidly loosing altitude - he didn't make it over the fence (rather he went through it).

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

Helen Keller

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Lord Acton

"Quoting from the internet and serious scientific work stand together like horse and courage."

Albert Einstein, 1942

Always start work at the crack of noon; it makes the day seem shorter.

Quoted by my Father who always worked 07:00 to 17:30 every day and hoped that I wouldn't have to. Bless him, he was a good man.