Doctor Who (TV series)

204 posts in this topic

As of now, Cinema has about 30 tickets left. If you want one, hurry up.

They have second screening at Cinema Munich 2 hours later at 23:00.

Just got my tickets. Can't wait. 21:00 showing has only a few seats left in front row.

Just a little piece of info that may interest Dr. Who fans:

The latest issue of Empire Magazine (December 2013) features an eight-page article on the sci-fi series. I received my subscribers copy in the mail today and flipped through the magazine to discover it. Keep an eye out for the latest Empire in the next few days...

post-9625-13829839401198.jpg

For anyone urgently needing to explain to their German friends/family members/colleagues what Doctor Who is and why they will be locking the doors, unplugging the phone and settling down in front of the telly with emergency supplies of crisps and red wine on 23.11.: The latest episode of the podcast Viva Britannia (in German) is dedicated to it.

Ack, almost missed this! Fortunately Dresden is the Tal der Ahnungslosen so there were still seats left :-)

BBC has uploaded a prequel/mini episode to "The Day of the Doctor" titled "The Night of the Doctor".

The Night of the Doctor

Pretty intense stuff!

Very much looking forward to watching "The Day of the Doctor" next week in Erfurt! Squee!

For the first time in over 30 years, I think my Tom Baker scarf sahould have an airing for the cinema screening on saturday ;)

I wish I'd paid more attention to this thread. I didn't realise until it was too late that the cinema version would be in 3D. I was quite happy to watch it in HD at home. Oh well I'll just pretend this thread never existed.

Hey Whovians, the BBC is also marking the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary with some rare audio versions!

To mark this week's anniversary the following episodes are so far available to listen to for a limited time only (max 7 days after broadcast date) on the Radio 4 Extra website. More specially recorded audio dramas and readings from the time-travelling adventure series, featuring the First, Fourth, Fifth, Seventh and Eighth Doctors are due to be released each day until next weekend.

Doctor Who and the Daleks (Ep.1 until 23 Nov 2013) 10x 30 minute Episodes

Tom and Jerry, Lex Luthor and Superman, Seinfeld and Newman... all great feuds start somewhere. So it is for the Doctor and the bane of all his travels, the Daleks. How did their paths first cross? Were the Daleks always ruthless and evil? How did they come into being?

Clearly the nascent 1960s nuclear threat looms large in this evocative tale, no more so than on the radiation-ravaged world of Skaro. It's there the TARDIS heads for the Doctor's fateful first meeting... It's not just the Doctor's first rendezvous with the Daleks. Struggling schoolteacher Ian Chesterton gets more than he bargained for when he stumbles across a car accident at night.

All of these questions are answered in the very first adventure involving the metal-plated meanies. Not only that, but it's told in the first person by one of the very first companions, Ian Chesterton (as played by William Russell).

This evocative reading is based on the original TV serial from 1963. However, expect a very different slant on how the Doctor and Ian met, involving Barnes Common and everlasting matches.

Doctor Who - Protect and Survive (Ep.1 until 24 Nov. 2013) 4 x 30 minute Episodes

Protect and Survive... If those two words fill you with fear, you must have grown up in the 1980s.

Back in the era of Stanislav Petrov, Threads and 99 Luftballons, the prospect of nuclear conflict never seemed more real. Thank goodness it never happened... Or did it?

The Doctor's young companions Hex and Ace are plunged alone into the late '80s, where history has gone horrifyingly wrong. Global tension is escalating, and the world trembles on the brink of a final, terrible war. What happened to glasnost and perestroika? Why are people actually building fallout shelters?

Hex and Ace aren't too worried - after all, the Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) will rescue them... won't he?

It's Sylvester McCoy's turn to time travel, in this four-part full-cast audio drama. Sylvester has not only played the Time Lord but a wizard also - Radagast the Brown in the recent big screen adaptation of The Hobbit. He was also part of the Ken Campbell roadshow.

Doctor Who - 963 - Fanfare for the Common Men (Ep. 1 until 25 Nov. 2013) 4 x 30 minute Episodes

The Doctor first fetched up on Earth in the 1960s - but what does he make of that decade's greatest musical contribution, the Beatles?

It turns out he's a big fan. The Doctor's young companion Nyssa, however, is unfamiliar with Earth's musical heritage - so a trip to the formative days of the Fab Four is in order, to show her what all the fuss is all about.

Yet the Beatles are nowhere to be seen - instead their role in history has been taken by the Common Men, a trio whose rise to fame isn't as wholesome as it first appears...

Peter Davison takes control of the TARDIS in this four-part full-cast audio drama, provided for 4 Extra. Peter is also known and loved for roles in At Home With the Braithwaites, All Creatures Great and Small and A Very Peculiar Practice.

Doctor Who - A Thousand Tiny Wings (Ep. 1 until 26 Nov. 2013) 3 x 30 minute Episodes.

Late 1963 saw a number of dramatic events - the death of CS Lewis, the assassination of John F Kennedy - and Kenyan independence in December 1963.

The decade before that had seen more than enough tumult in Kenya - violent repression and recrimination. In fact, only last year did a court rule that three elderly Kenyans have the right to claim damages for torture conducted by the British Army.

The Doctor arrives in a remote homestead during this bloody period of history. He is reunited with an old acquaintance, ex-Nazi Klein - of course it wouldn't be Doctor Who without some alien threat, and it comes in the form of an avian group intelligence.

But by employing a strategy of divide and conquer, is the Doctor as bad as those he opposes?

Sylvester McCoy once more plays the Time Lord in this full cast audio drama.

Billed as a new production for Radio 4 Extra and trailed for broadcast on Saturday 23rd November 2013 is Doctor Who special - Who Made Who - NEW to 4 Extra Saturday 23rd November 9.00am - 12.00pm (repeated 4.00 - 7.00pm)

Tracy-Ann Oberman is the guide on a journey back to a time before Time Lords. Interviewees include Doctor Who writers Charlie Higson and AL Kennedy and William Hartnell's grand-daughter. Featured programmes include 'The Reunion', which gathers the original 1963 cast and 'Whatever Happened to ... Susan Foreman?' which tries to solve the mystery of the The Doctor's original travelling companion, his grand-daughter.

More details available here:http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b009szrh

2B

Heard on the radio this morning (can't recall which channel):

The Doctor Who 50th anniversary episode attracted 10 million viewers in the UK alone ... a seemingly an amazing number until you compare this with Strictly Come Dancing that preceded it on BBC One that attracted almost 12 million

Ah, I´m old enough ( but non-senile enough! ) to remember watching the first episode of Dr Who AND the first episode of Coronation Street (1959?) and I remember the assassination of John Kennedy ( telly programme was interrupted in the UK or at least a programme was postponed for a few minutes..think it was Coronation Street..I was watching the telly then but can´t quite remember what ).

AND I remember watching telly with my Dad and brother Ted...the landing on the Moon. Here my claim to fame ends..I fell asleep before the pictures came of the first steps on the Moon. Dad and bruv stayed awake! :angry:

..just passing the time of day, Ancient! And trying not to take life too seriously...

Watched the 50 year special on FOX yesterday. It was great! What a story!

I loved it too! Got to watch it at a cinema in London-Stratford, surrounded by other Whovians, most of them wearing loooong scarfs ;) The atmosphere was great and the film in 3D ... oh wow! (BTW: In this particular case, did 3D stand for 3 doctors? ;) ) Before the movie, I had been to the event at Excel (nothing to write home about - in my opinion!) and afterwards to the (allegedly) biggest Who party in London which took place at The Fox, Docklands.

And wherever I went, there were lots of people dressed up as doctors, companions, enemies ... What a sight :D

Today, when I get home, I will watch "The day of the doctor" again!

Lumina

Ah, I´m old enough ( but non-senile enough! ) to remember watching the first episode of Dr Who AND the first episode of Coronation Street (1959?) and I remember the assassination of John Kennedy ( telly programme was interrupted in the UK or at least a programme was postponed for a few minutes..think it was Coronation Street..I was watching the telly then but can´t quite remember what ).

AND I remember watching telly with my Dad and brother Ted...the landing on the Moon. Here my claim to fame ends..I fell asleep before the pictures came of the first steps on the Moon. Dad and bruv stayed awake!

post-5604-13854683393764.jpg