Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Abbreviations for "with or without"

15 posts in this topic

My boyfriend is giving a presentation in English and needs the abbreviations for:

Without = I think this is "w/o" (ex. child seat w/o padded inlay)

With or without - this one I do not know... mayb "with or w/o"?

Help!

Thanks!

I'm not convinced that there are any official abbreviations, although many use w/o as you mention

w/ = with

w/o = without

I would only ever use these when writing notes to myself or informal correspondence. I would never use them in a presentation.

Perhaps it's:

w/- or w/o

Edit: I'm assuming he wanted to use both the with and the without together in one phrase.

Well first off its damn informal. Secondly, there is a thread on here, started by someone who doesn't know the abbreviations.

I would certainly not include some ambiguous abbreviation into a presentation. If you run out of room then just say that it is with or without whatever your describing.

If space is so tight, either drop the point size or rewrite the english. Abbreviations that are confusing are hardley going to help people to understand a presentation.

with or w/-? only one character difference. But hey ho! Each to his own.

Why would you not use them in a presentation? If you have very limited space, of course you would use them. Why not?

same reason you wouldn't use sms speak in a presentation I guess

If space is tight then your powerpoint slide or whatever it is is most probably far too full of text already. I would only use 'official' abbreviations such as etc. or e.g.

The only possibly acceptable abbreviation (according to my various style guides) is "with/without". As you can see from other comments, the abbreviations of each require the same slash which is used as an abbreviation for "or"; multiple use would make it too confusing. Dolfan's completely correct: any abbreviation of with/without is informal.

woof.

I wouldn't use w/ and w/o in a prepared presentation (e.g. Powerpoint) even separately, although I see nothing wrong with it if you're jotting things down while talking (provided your audience knows what they mean). However, I don't see how you could use them together since each one needs a slash as it is.

One possible solution might be to use plus and minus signs, e.g. "child seat +/- padded inlay".

ppt slide is likely to be a bad one if there is a need to save the few characters you would save by using w/ or w/o.

around 6 high level concepts per side is all that should be used, with the presentation talking around the slides, not reading the slides.

that is all.

OK, thanks for the help. I passed along the information. I'll let him decide.

I told him that he should spell them out but, if he finds it absolutely necessary to have abbreviations, he should use 'w/ or w/o"

Thanks!