Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Niederlassungserlabunis or Einbürgerung approval

10 posts in this topic

All, I am wondering if anyone else has been, will be, or knows someone with the following situation: non-working non-EU spouse of a German citizen who currently has an Aufenthaltserlaubnis but would like to either apply for German citizenship after three years of residence in Germany or for the Niederlassungserlaubnis after five years of residency. Language is not a problem, German spouse is employed and paying into the social system, but the non-EU spouse has not been able to find work during their residency in Germany. I would be interested in hearing about the experience of getting naturalized or approval for the Niederlassungserlaubnis under these circumstances. Thanks in advance...

I believe that citizenship after 3 years is not possible. Usually requires 5 years, AFAIK.

From what I know, it is not necessary to have work, as long as the "total family unit" has sufficient income.

Actually, I was told three years for citizenship if one is married to a german for the last two of those. This we had from the lady at the KVR when I got my Aufenthaltserlaubnis.

Edit: I also found that information on the German embassy page (the one for the German embassy in the US).

Could anyone who has been through the process of Einbürgerung post a short summary of their experiences? My specific questions are:

1. How long does the whole process take?

2. What kind of background checks/ interviews are required in practice?

Thanks.

Anyone?

Partial answers to my previous post and stories of unsuccessful attempts at attaining citizenship are also welcome.

Adrian, I believe MonksTown and Owain Glyndwr have been through this particular process and can answer your questions.

Good luck...

Section 9 of the Nationality Act

Spouses or registered same-sex partners of German citizens are eligible for naturalization after three years of legal residence in Germany. They must have been married or in a registered partnership for at least two years at the time of application ...

Hi Miwild,

I got married August 06. but before that I was a student about two years. totally i am now 4.2 years in germany. Shall I go for citizenship?

TOM