Madeleine McCann jokes

450 posts in this topic

fucking hell this is sick.

the parents acted stupidly but we are talking about a 4yr old wee girl here.

shame on you all.

It is over 4years since I wrote this post above, and still agree with it. But someone is really trying to report this forum to a government, seriously?

An offensive joke is what it is...offensive. Which means all ages, sexes & races are fair game.

So would we be ok if we started telling jokes about someone's wife miscarrying a baby or a war veteran's inability to run the marathon due to stepping on a mine ?

To quote Jimmy Carr -

"Say what you like about these servicemen amputees from Iraq and Afghanistan, but we’re going to have a fucking good Paralympic team in 2012."

Offensive, yes. Ironically funny as well.

I asked my husband about this. Mr. LR pointed out this thread is older than MM was when she disappeared. He also said as long as this thread continues to exist people will not forget her.

He said as far as the humor goes it's possible to make fun and jokes about any and everything in life, but he doesn't see anything funny about a little girl who has disappeared.

Bluedave, of course there is a difference. But how does that affect the joke or the offence it may cause ? What makes suicide fair game where miscarriage is not ?

Oh bluedave, we're all waiting to hear your response to Yeti's interesting question.

Btw, I have to admit I did laugh at your suicide joke.

Bluedave, of course there is a difference. But how does that affect the joke or the offence it may cause ? What makes suicide fair game where miscarriage is not ?

Not the responder you asked for, but to me his suicide joke is actually a joke about (failed) relationships and (ex) partners. It's something everyone can relate to. It's not a joke about suicide, clearly. There's no humor to be found in being able to relate to a miscarriage or child abduction/disappearance. One is a human condition we all fight through in our "mature" lives, and the others are simply human tragedies that are best referred to as such.

I think bohemka phrased it better than i could.

It is a case of laughing at a personal failure rather than the forced abduction or murder of an innocent child, where is the possible similarity ?

Suicide is clearly not funny to all involved but the joke wasn't about suicide was it ?

A few things I want to say here:

Of course, there is a difference between telling a joke in bad taste and reading it black and white. My brother has a great repertoire. I would hate to see them in print, though.

On the McCann story: I have felt so bad for them ever since this happened with their child. I have heard of other devastating stories that have happened to children because of momentary thoughtlessness by parents. A friend of ours lost their child. Only yesterday I was told about a friend's friend whose young grandchild died last week. (I am not going to go into any details, but, ask at any hospital, they will all have their stories.

Do you think the McCanns were the first ever parents to leave their children alone at night? Yeah, sure you do ...

The McCanns were ordinary people like me (I am not going to judge who "you" are). They went through this trauma and still had two smaller children to be brilliant perfect wonderful parents to. Woe betide them if they put a foot wrong with the twins.

They did not have a manual to tell them what the right or wrong thing to do was. They had no previous (I think) experience with the public media. Suddenly, they found themselves under extremely close scrutiny on all sides. Not forgetting, they were even suspects in their daughter's disappearance.

That is that in a nutshell.

I never understood how the media/public etc turned against them the way they did. I am sure they did things wrong. But for fuck's sake, who doesn't?

Bottom line is, they have lost their child. Who would like to be in their shoes?

Even writing the above, I feel sick.

That is why I have always hated this thread.

As I said here:

However, I sure got to agree with his sentiment.

[adminclose][/adminclose]