The German phonetic alphabet (Funkalphabet)

47 posts in this topic

A few more things thant need to be standardized. An Engineer looks at the international world. My One Shoe Size plan for World Peace...

Can we add 'Mother's Day' to that list?

A few more things thant need to be standardized. An Engineer looks at the international world. My One Shoe Size plan for World Peace.

Same date format of dd/mm/yyyy.

Nooo! yyyy/mm/dd for nice, sortable ISO dates.

I work in a Chemical factory. In order to go into my office, we need to go throw and automatic door. Whenever I forgot my ID (that actually happens frequently) I need to call, throw the Intercom, the central security gate operator to ask them to open the door for me.

The first time I try, since I was getting nowhere with the "spelling", I switch to phonetic alphabet (the NATO one, since I didn't knew the German one)... everything was fine until I arrive to R "Romeo"... there was no chance for the guy to get it, we tried for some minutes without luck. Finally a colleague arrive and he took my business card and spell for me.

When the gate operator got my name he yell to me "Ach soooooo, nich Romeo, RICHARD, RICHARD!!!". So know I always spell the NATO way, but I change the Romeo for Richard (Although I can't understand how Germans spell "Romeo").

First attempt is the International Standard Phoenteic Alphabet the NATO one..

Second attempt is the obsolete Deustsch FunkAlphabet

Third attempt is the Bavaria Version "Boarish Funker dah hey Ja gut"

Forth attempt is to start yelling any close words into the mike/phone/..."R as in Retarted Rahphunzell who lives in Regesberg, Right, Roger?"

And so on...

An American sits at the Chiense Tower in the English Garden drinking German beer and speaking French to a Russian tourist. while dreaming of Mexican food...

Bump. I just wanted to thank whoever posted this originally (if he's still here) as I've just put it to good use having had to spell out both my name and street name to get an appointment. I always have great problems because my surname begins with E, and although some people will tell you the German E sounds like the English A that's not quite true and I've had conversations like "aaaayyyyy" - du meinst A? Nee "aaaeeeeeey" - I? Nein - ein englisches E - Was ist ein englishes E? etc.

Now just need to memorise them.

On 5/7/2009, 11:18:49, jeremyb said:

By the way, if any of you visit east London, you should use this version:

A for Horses

B for Mutton

C for Miles

D for Kate

E for Brick

F for Lump

G for Police

H for Consent

I for Novello

J for Nice Time

K for Restaurant

L for Leather

M for Cream

N for Lope

O for the Rainbow

P for Relief

Q for the Loos

R for Mo

S for you (you can take it in the other room)

T for Gums

U for Me

V for Espana

W for a Quid, guvnor?

X for Breakfast

Y for Mistress

Zee for Moiles (works best in Somerset)

I didn't get all of these, but some are real knee-slappers! 

It has taken 11 years, katheliz!😂

I am familiar with East London ( or, rather -was!)

Baffled meanwhile!!