Internet providers in Mainz

7 posts in this topic

Hello T-towners! With your helpful advice, I have a great new little apt in Mainz. THANKS! I move in next week!

Now, I need advice as to the best flat-rate (ie: no limits!) high speed internet provider.

There are many to chose from and I have found what appear to be very good options. But it is hard to know which provider is the most reliable of the bunch.

I have a new MacBook with all the bells and whistles (Intel Core Duo, 2GHz) and want to be able to easily stream video and also video chat with as clear a signal as possible. Any feedback or advice on which provider to go with would be a great help!

Thanks for reading!

Here are the offers i found for DSL flat rate so far that SEEM to be the best ones - but how could i really have any clue?! any thoughts?

1&1 - 19,99

Congster - 29,99

freenet - 24,99

Tele2 - 18,95

Lycos - 29,99

Strato - 29,85

I also have no phone line or cell phone yet - and some of these companies offer packet offers. Anyone know if these are a good idea? trying to figure it all out on my own, but the lovely german language is a bit of a challenge when it comes to this sort of thing!

All the best from Wien, soon to be in Mainz and looking forward to it!

:) korngold

Horse for courses. All as good as each other. Expect a wait of 4-8 weeks (maybe more given the current strikes) before you get connected. Some may only accept you as a new customer if you already have (at least) a Telekom phone line which may imply additional delays.

Hi Korngold,

I'd be careful with the offers. They look tempting, however, with 1&1 you will have to wait up to 6 weeks to get connected and receive the modem and I bet it's the same with the tele2 or freenet offer.

I know that with 1&1 this price is limited to the first 6 months, after that it goes up to 29.90 and you have a 24 months contracts without being able to cancel. You should consider this. You will also have to pay landline fees, so the prices that you listed were just for DSL but not your phone line. If have heard some stories about the stability as well but you better check this on tekkie forums.

I would probably choose Telekom again, you can get DSL within 2-3 days, pick up your free router from the store when placing your order and you can always walk back if you need customer service.

I have a complete package for 49.95 Euros a month (Call'n Surf) that includes landline fees and free calls to german landlines at any time and no limit to download.

I am definitively not working for T-Online :) but I can say that I am satisfied customer whose internet has not gone down once in two years now.

I don't know how long you'll be staying, but if its less than one year, pay attention to the minimum contract length.I had a lot of trouble finding a provider that didn't have that.About T-Online : not the best offer, but usually reliable.Some are lucky with them and never get problems, others get in constant trouble with them, it depends on your luck.However, thats the easiest option - simply go to the T-Punkt at Münsterplatz (where the central post office is) and they'll be happy

to get you online.

I have a complete package for 49.95 Euros a month (Call'n Surf) that includes landline fees and free calls to german landlines at any time and no limit to download.

Isn't that the same as the Alice Light package? But Alice's offer is for 31.00 euros a month or that's what I read. Maybe someone with a bit more info can enlighten me. :unsure:

The problem with a lot of the providers above is that they have 24 month minimum contracts...

I found that the best value without being tied in for 2 years is to get a normal analogue phone connection with Deutsche Telekom (T-Com) for € 15.95 per month and then I have my DSL contract with AOL which is € 19.99 per month and only has a 12 month minimum contract. This is the 2MB package but I think you can get 6 MB for only € 5 extra per month. I don't download films or use it for games so 2 MB is fine for me!

Don't bother with an all-inclusive pack unless you call a lot of German landline numbers otherwise it ain't worth it. Calling mobiles and calling overseas is much cheaper using a 5 digit code to re-route to a low cost provider. If you understand German look at this useful website that lists cheap call routing companies. I rarely pay more than 1 cent per minute to call the UK.

Telekom took about 10 days to connect me and then my DSL took about 10 days too. Dunno if i was lucky but i never had a nightmare 8 week wait or anything like that!