Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nighttime disturbances by an insane neighbour

33 posts in this topic

Insane neighbour story

I think my neighbour may be insane. Not twiddle-your-toes in the sun insane, but kill-everyone-in-the-house-cause-they-was-home insane.

A couple of months ago, the shouting started. It's that particularly German kind of shouting that Hitler popularised, ya know? Like part growl, part bark, part scream? I don't really know quite how they do it, but they can roll every letter while shouting, making it ten times scarier than in any other language. There are also a good deal of slaps and bangs to be heard through the rather thick wall. I've never heard anyone else over there. Everyday lately, he'll start shouting obscenities and banging and hitting something. He'll often let up for 15-40 minutes, then start again.

Last night he started around midnight. I waited a bit, hoping the temper tantrum would let up at least long enough to get to sleep, but he kept at it until I called the police. I'd been thinking of doing this for a while anyway. If there's someone else there, he's definitely not treating them right, and if there isn't, it's got to be a case for the men in white coats, eh? It also occurred to me that he might be yelling at a cat. I've yelled at my cat on occasion; sometimes a loud noise is needed to make them stop destroying something. But even a really badly behaved cat shouldn't be treated to the kind of yelling he's been doing.

So around 1am I called the coppers on him and they said they'd go check it out, but I never saw them or heard them. Eventually it got quiet though and an hour or so later I managed to drift off to sleep. Wasn't easy though, because by then I was angry. Women really have trouble sleeping when they're angry. Men don't seem to have this problem. I've had an ex-boyfriend be snoring within seconds of saying 'fuck you, bitch!' to me, while I had to spend the rest of the night imagining how a fork would look lodged in his forehead. <_<

Anyhoo. I digress. I'm frightened of my neighbour, and I'm not sure the police are taking it seriously. I don't know what the man's name is, or even what he looks like, having only heard him through the wall. He could jump me on the street, and I'd never see it coming. How to get the cops to do something?

He could jump me on the street, and I'd never see it coming.

Time to invest in a crash helmet? :ph34r:

Odd for the police to not take this sort of thing seriously, but I'd say that so far you've done the right thing. There do seem to be a lot of harmless wackos in this town, and I guess some of them might forget their medicine from time to time...

I'm surprised they didn't come to be honest...perhaps give them a call to 'follow-up' on your previous call...?! Not sure what to suggest, he does sound quite scary :unsure:

Kat

Thanks, you made me laugh :)

while I had to spend the rest of the night imagining how a fork would look lodged in his forehead.

Classic.

Maybe he plays World of Warcraft and is getting killed by 12 years olds? It was my last neighbor's problem (I asked him once when he appeared on the balcony after a screaming fit).

The police are obliged to come and investigate any complaint about noise. I know this from having been in the noisy flat that was complained about. However, it isn't likely to be a high priority item for them. They probably came after you were asleep. And they also don't shout themselves when they talk to the person, so you may have missed it.

Sounds like this guy has Tourette Syndrome. We had a woman in my old place in a similar condition, she never attacked anybody but yelled obscenities at regular intervals and pounded against the doors. Eventually she was taken away.

You had every right to call the cops, and they surely did not snitch on you, they never do. Have you spoken to other neighbors about him?

I like the Tourette Syndrome theory. It's a hell of a lot less scary than some of the shit I'm imagining is going on over there. But less likely they'll cart him off, I suppose. :unsure: Involved gamer is also a theory I could live with, but the yelling has just got to stop.

Knock on his door and ask if you can have some milk. Follow him into the kitchen and look over his shoulder into the fridge for mutilated body parts.

heh. Just noticed the topic title change. From 'Insane Neighbor Story' to 'Nighttime disturbances by an insane neighbour, Was I right to call the cops?'.

Aside from the fact that the disturbances aren't limited to nighttime, and I'm in no doubt that it was right to call the cops (I'm only unsure they're going to do anything), it's definitely a better topic title. ;)

@Keydeck - uh-huh. I'm not going anywhere near this guy.

It's that particularly German kind of shouting that Hitler popularised, ya know? Like part growl, part bark, part scream? I don't really know quite how they do it, but they can roll every letter while shouting, making it ten times scarier than in any other language.

Oh, so you've noticed it as well, nothing scares me more than shouting in German, it reminds me of all those 2nd world war movies :unsure:

I've had an ex-boyfriend be snoring within seconds of saying 'fuck you, bitch!' to me, while I had to spend the rest of the night imagining how a fork would look lodged in his forehead.

I'm glad I'm not the only who has had that sort of experience :ph34r:

Just keep calling and calling, the building that I live in you need a key to get onto each individual floor and my downstairs neighbor plays LOUD music all of the time, and to make it worse he plays the same songs over and over(for a couple of months it was meatloaf - i would do anything for love and stevie nicks - total eclipse of the heart...over and over and over) and his direct neighbors cant even make him shut up because he technically doesnt have to...so i think just badgering the polizei until something gets done is the only way to do it. basically i think they look at it as noise is noise, and noise isnt important...even if the noise made makes one want to kill the guilty party.

and stevie nicks - total eclipse of the heart...

the polizei look at it as noise is noise, and noise isnt important...even if the noise made makes one want to kill the guilty party.

:P You mean Bonnye Tyler's Total Eclipse Of The Heart!

Maybe all the neighbours affected should wait until this moron is silent/asleep and then all play at the count of 3 the loudest most obnoxious music possible to give him a taste of his own medicine! :angry: