Life in Celle (near Hannover)

4 posts in this topic

Seeking comments and advice from English-speaking people/families living in Celle, as we are considering a job offer in the area. Is it easy to get around for new comers, how do you find the cost of living (compared to France, UK, US or Australia - we have experinece in these countries)? We found the area and the town lovely, but are very concerned about the high tax on personal income on a second salary, and the quality of life we could have here. Also, any comments about cost of houses (we want a BIG American-style house!!)? What would be a good net salary for a small family? Also, any experiences with young English speaking child integrating into the German school system, or how the system compares to US or France or Australia. Thanks for any comments.

Are you married? Dependent children? (I'm assuming yes) This will affect your tax class... which will affect your net income.

"Big American Style House"? Celle is in North Germany. Have a look at www.Immobilienscout.24 for types of houses for sale or rent. (Although do not recommend you purchase a house if you are only here for the short term) You will most probably need a car and a bike. BTW, helmets are not compulsory. If you have a UK or EU Licence from previous stints overseas then driving won't be a problem. If you only have an Australian Licence then you will have to do some extra work to obtain a German one,you cannot simply swap it over. (Tests) An Australian licence will only be valid for 6 months after your arrival. Send the kids to the local Schools or Kindergartens but expect to be disappointed with the level and style of education. If it isn't for the long term, enjoy the experience. (There was a TT member living in Celle but I think she returned to the UK - not sure if she still reads the boards - she would be a useful source of information). As for the 2nd job, if it is only a small salary up to €400 you don't pay any tax. Consider also the costs of health insurance too. If the company is big enough you may be invited to join the company's own BKK (betriebskrankenkasse), health insurance scheme, they are usually quite good and rates can be less. What part of Australia are you coming from? North German weather is similar to Melbourne's - except it rains here and we don't get the flies - watch out though for the wasps and mosquitoes. The Germans are just starting to understand about the advantages of flywire...

I'd say give it a go, but definately consider renting, you may be able to get a "big German style house" here but you're looking at the wrong country for an American style place ;) as I said in the other related thread look a bit outside the towns in the surrounding villages for a cheaper place. Cant help you with schools etc no experience of them in this area but as some have already stated dont expect to be overwhelmed by the standards here.

As for weather looking out of the window now it's terrible but dont take that to heart it's ok as a rule, great cycling country too (ie flat) which is good as I've started cycling the 25km to work now. Still if you get here give me a shout always room for a few more at our BBQs ;)

ETA: Forgot to say Celle is perfectly situated to get to the cities of Hannover, Hamburg and Bremen so you wont be missing out by being in the sticks too much.