Munich marathon and 10km run

84 posts in this topic

Imissthepies, probably see you there this Sunday afternoon then...

i usually take the route from Hirschgarten to the schloss, then run along the pleasant channel. I am not into the speed thing only wanna keep fit and feel good. i do around 13 kms nonstop but after that find it hard to hang on coz my knees and ankle hurt like hell. I have already changed to ADIDAS response shoes taking advice from someone but still doesnt help much. any tips other than doping are highly appreciated!!

I would suggest getting some shoes professionally fitted.

I had knee problems, resulting in not being able to make it further than 10km without it feeling like someone had stuck a knife under my kneecap and and could never work out why. I was running in a pair of Nikes that I thought were quite comfortable, fitted well enough (or so I thought) and were within my budget.

Then, as a birthday present, my brother took me to a professional running shop and got me properly fitted by measuring the exact size of my feet (width and height, arch, as well as height) and a detailed gait analysis. I tried on about 10 different pairs of shoes and repeated the anaylsis each time. The whole process took nearly 2 hours, but I ended up with a pair of Brooks which suited my feet and running style perfectly. The NIkes were considered completely wrong for me and were making the problem worse.

Since then I have run 12 races last year alone, inlcuding a mixture of 10kms, half marathons and the NYC marathon. I put it all down to the shoes. In my opinion, all these fancy technologies are a complete waste of time (and money) if they don't fit you right - all you need is the correct shoes for your feet, there is no "one size fits all" as everyone is made differently.

Hi! I'm toying with the idea of doing the 10K this year. I've never done it before. Just started training, but very slowly, since I haven't ran for many years. Have and athletic past though, and I'm hoping to get some of it back.

But running alone is so boring! So I'm looking for somebody who would like to train with me, starting at a very relaxed, slow pace, but thinking or improving shortly.

I live in Maxvorstadt, so I mostly jog in any sandy trail nearby

Hi mvelasco - I'd be interested in training together. I used to run for fitness rather than speed but would appreciate a training partner to get back into it. I'd like to do a 10K or even half marathon this year. PM me if you want to meet.

Hello fellow runners,

Would people (intending to participate in Munich running events, 10k/half/full) be interested to meet up either Friday or Saturday before the race Sunday? I'm new in Munich and will be doing the half and don't know any runners here. It will be nice to know other TT'ers who will be doing any of the above distances.

Maybe we could all meetup for our own *pasta party*?!

I signed up for the half marathon but won't be running - so if anyone wants a cut price bib & chip, shout!

I will be running the full marathon (first timer), and will probably head to Olympiastadion to pick up my bip number Friday afternoon. If you want to meet up, just drop me a PM. Don't know whether I have time for pasta though. On saturday, I plan to keep it easy, stay at home, and go to bed early :-)

I would like to take part in munich 10k run. could you please send me details?

I am not a regular marathon runner , but i participated in few 10k runs.

Anybody BIB's is available for 10k run at cut price? Is it allowed here to run on others BIB's in munich marathon?

So were people happy with their running times yesterday?

I ran my 2nd ever half-marathon in 1:51, which I was pleased with.

I'm now thinking about stepping up to the marathon for next year but the thought of all that training does put me off slightly.

Is there a way I can get round the 42km course without having to spend six months in a training camp in the Kenyan mountains?

Congratulation, great result for your 2nd half marathon!

As for marathon training: I'd say it depends on your goals, whether it's just about finishing, or whether you want to achieve a certain time. The better you are prepared, the easier the competition will be and the quicker the recovery.

Normal marathon plans consist of 10-16 weeks of training (myself, I'd recommend 3-4 months as a first timer with 5-8 runs > 30km included). As a 1:50 HM runner you could attempt a 3:45-4:00 hrs time.

Most plans would recommend 4-5 times training a week with roughly 50-80 km (one long run, 1-2 speed trainings, 1-2 "normal" runs)- which I think is doable.

For my first marathon, which was yesterday in Munich, I did a 16 week preparation with 5 trainings a week. But I am a more experienced half marathon runner and was rather ambitious with my goal time. If you are interested, I can send you one of the "standard" plans a lot of Germans train with (Steffny). There are plenty of plans out there, look at 4 hrs-plans, and decide whether you want or can dedicate the r time.

Yesterdays marathon was a great experience for me, though the last 8 km were a little painful. My goal was 3:30-3:35, and I reached 3:32:03, so the training paid off. The really happy feelings came only a couple of hours later, and I am still on a high. So YEAH it's worth it. And, it doesn't hurt too much today, sore muscles, but I can walk and go down stairs like a normal person. I liked the marathon course, it was nice to run your own city, and I enjoyed the Marienplatz-Leopoldstr. part. But I am sure Berlin, Hamburg, Paris etc. are a lot better. :-)

Thanks for all the great advice and well done for your marathon time, zee.

I really need to think first about how much time I want to invest in this project.

Also I have to check with my wife if I she doesn't mind that I'll be out training 4-5 times a week for 3-4 months!

The thought of cancelling a trip to the pub to go running instead will take some determination. I guess I should come down from my runner's high first before commiting myself.

But I did love running down Leopoldstrasse yesterday, with the band playing on one side and total strangers clapping and cheering on the other.

Wow they are good times! I ran my first half yesterday in 2:03:17, which I'm pretty happy with :) Squealing a little when walking down stairs but it'S definetly worth it. I was just on the munich Marathon website checking my time and I was wondering what the 'PI.AC' column is for. Do any of you more experienced runners know what this could stand for??

Great times everyone and extra respect to Zee - 3:32 is fantastic, I did the half in 1hr 50 and am also looking to step it up to a full marathon next year. The run was really nice through the city, but that post finish walk to the U-Bahn is just too long for my poor old legs! However running into that stadium is great so it's a small price to pay! I think PI. AK is your place in your age group, but I am really no expert.

Yes, it is the place in your age group.

Pl.AK (Platz Altersklasse) if you read the page in german, Pl.AC if you read it in english (C for category?).