Munich marathon and 10km run

84 posts in this topic

I did Berlin last year ... great event. No issues to enter but do enter 6 months or so before. Late entries aren't possible ...

The course is fast and well supported. e.g 100 bands, crowds 5 deep for the last 10km ...

and free beer afterwards which certainly helps those sore muscles ...

Munich you can virtually enter on the day .. it's relativly small with 10,000 runners or so on a course that could take a lot more ...

I was thinking of entering either the Munich or Berlin marathon for later this year. Are these German marathons fairly easy to get into or are they like the London one where you have to be either very lucky in the draw or raise a shit load of money for a charity to get in?

I am doing the Berlin marathon this year as well. There will be a few of the TT Frankfurt clan heading up there for the weekend - 2 of us running (myself and jonnyboy) so far!

I would sign up as soon as possible as it does get pretty full.

Munich Marathon is not that popular that you won´t get a ticket.

There is always a counter "Nachmeldungen" on the Weekend of the Marathon where you can get a ticket for cash money. Unfortunately this is pretty expensive, will be 75 Euro this year. If you book in advance via the web page, the ticket prices start at 55 Euro.

I will be there, trying to make it in 5 h +/- 30 minutes.

http://www.muenchenmarathon.de

I ran the Berlin Marathon last year (2008). I registered for the marathon in May 2008 and had no problem to register. Guess maybe it wass filled up and closed for registration during the summer. Not sure. Anyway. Berlin Marathon is one of the 5 biggest marathon in the world I guess (New York. London, Chicago and Boston are the other 4) and it is worth to run. :)

Thinking of registering for the 10k run this year. I have just returned to running this past winter after a couple years off. Can anyone tell me, is the 10K a good event as well? It looks like it ends the same area as the marathon, is that correct? Is there overlap of the finishing runners?

Thanks for any info.

Stephanie

Does anyone know how long it takes to train for this marathon? Probably have to do it next year cause I just found out about it and it is like 2 weeks away:( I am in O.K. shape but idk if that is good enough for this... ANYONE?? thanks!

If you are a experienced (regular) runner and have no problems running your 30-40 km per week, but still need to train for the long distance : 3-4 months specific training are recommended. Most training plans have a weekly pensum of 40-70k for first timers, over 12-16 weeks with 4-5 training units per week including 1-2 speed trainings and one long run.

There are also tons of "from 0 to 42 k" plans out there for complete or almost beginners, but I would strongly discourage any complete beginner to train for a marathon. It's an enormous strain on your body, even for experienced runners. I would first try to train for 10k or Halfmarathon races, and go for your first marathon after 1-3 yrs regular training (also during winters) and some race experience.

But that's my personal opinion (never done a marathon myself, but a couple of half marathons).

Edit: Just saw that you describe yourself as "I am in O.K. shape " - does that include regular running? if you can run for 3 hrs non-stop in a regular pace, you might try it, though I still think it's unhealthy and even risky concerning injuries.

Is anyone thinking of doing the half/full marathon in Munich this year? It is not until October so time to train.

I started thinking yesterday about doing the half. If I´m still keen on the idea by the weekend I´ll enter. Perhaps some TTers can meet up for the odd run between now and the race as well as supporting each other on the day?!

Here´s a link to the website http://www.muenchenmarathon.de/en/start/

By the way, I just read that as this is the 25th anniversary of the event the Half Marathon will be offered for the first time. You still get to run through the olypmic Stadium for the glory shot at the end!

Yes I'm toying with the idea of doing the half too ... what's your target? I'd be looking for between 1:16 and 1:19 ... any good for you?

For those who follow Toytown runniong cycling Triathlon threads, they will already know ... but no it's no joke ... 1:16 is the aim ... see you at the start line ... I'll be the one in the thread bare British vest :-)

Good skills - I'm impressed! Haven't got time to read those threads right now but will do later. Have you ever done the full marathon? If so you must be looking at about 2:45 right?

Ran 2:45 in Berlin in 2008. Not a big Marathon fan though its just way too far .... more doing the Tri-thing nowadays ... and re-living the track as a Vet ... got an international masters race in Budapest in July ... should be fun.

Berlin fyi:

Altersklassen-Platz 87

Brutto 02:45:50

Zwischenzeit 5 km 00:18:53

Zwischenzeit 10 km 00:37:41

Zwischenzeit 15 km 00:56:33

Zwischenzeit 20 km 01:15:40

Zwischenzeit 21.1 km 01:19:54

Zwischenzeit 25 km 01:35:04

Zwischenzeit 30 km 01:54:55

Zwischenzeit 35 km 02:14:58

Zwischenzeit 40 km 02:36:00

ooo wow 1.16 would be awesome but unfortunately (for me) you´ll be drinking one of the nice finish line beers while I´ll still be slugging it out. I´ve done two half marathons before in 1.40/1.41. I´m going to try follow a training programme this time with a goal time of 1.35. Actually just breaking 1.40 would be great, but 1.35 would be even better.

Well I would be interested in someone to run along with on long runs, but not at those paces, they are fantastic and mere mortals like myself dream of such rapidity, I would love to come somewhere near 1.45 but I fear probably 1.50 is realistic.

I have signed up for the 1/2 run on 10/10. I run regularly and I live near Hirschgarten/Schloss area, any eager runners I can tag along?