Munich marathon and 10km run

84 posts in this topic

if anyone out there is more of the waddle speed and not run speed i'll join you :)

I won't run the marathon, but I will for sure be there and cheer for the marathon runners. Whether I'll do the 10k depends on when I can reuptake training. cause I would prefer doing a HM this fall if I am back to my old form/distances (maybe Haar).

(My achilles tendons are not ok yet, they are my daily why are you unhappy-woe).

Edit: @nataras: you can enter the name of a club, we've once entered as "Toytown" at a race (Ismaning Winter-Races). If you want to register for a real running-club, of course you should be a real member. You can invent your own club, and it will be written on the list, there is a lot of funny club-names on the particpants-lists.

I may try to aim for the 10K. I was up to 5k 3x week a few months ago, but had problems with both ankles (tendons) so had to take a couple months off and am only now starting up again and am only at 3k 2x week.

Will use this as my motivation to get back into the running again. Will definitely be a late registration though as too far out for me to decide now. Also, depends on how my ankles do starting up again.

How fast do most runners do the 10km? It usually takes me :unsure: 60-70 minutes. So i am wondering if i would be the last to come in if i registered for this!

You won't come in last. According to the results list from last year, the slowest woman AND man came in at over 1 hour, 25 minutes. And there were around 50 people who came in at 70 minutes or more (didn't take the time to count the exact number, but eyeballed the list and it's something like that).

The bulk of the marathon runners are starting to run down Franz-Joseph strasse now in Schwabing. If you're around there, give them some support!!! :)

Those of you who have already conquered the Munich marathon - would you recommend it as a "first" marathon? Have till this point only run half marathons but would like to try the full in the fall. Any suggestions? I heard Berlin is great, but I didn't really want to travel up there - and I still need time for my training. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

i have run first (and only) marathon in munich a few years ago and i enjoyed it. there were roughly 10.000 runners then. Running in a city i knew and getting everything from a different perspective ie running on a street where normally it's only cars, was a great expierence.

i loved the fact that i could go HOME afterwards. i am not sure where i will run my next marathon but munich will defintely be part of the options again.

Hi,

I am moving to Munich from Tokyo in the summer and have entered the marathon. What kind of time do you expect to run? Any tips on where to train in and around Munich?

Simon :D

My husband and I moved to Munich in May 2008. We plan to sign up for the Munich marathon and have started incorporating long runs into our running schedule. Our long run is at 80 minutes right now. We usually run about 7:00 to 7:30 minute per mile pace. I have run one marathon (November 2007) in 3:08 (7:10-7:15 min per mile) and he has yet to complete one but is faster than me.

We are looking for a long run group on the weekends. I noticed that the MMRC gathers for group runs on Sunday at 9am. Has anyone joined in these runs? Any info would be much appreciated! Happy Running!

Any thoughts on this year's marathon?

I was hoping to do 4hrs, was on target until the last 10k which took me 1h 20min!! Overall time 4hr 30. Lesson learned...need to do more LONG runs! It doesn't "happen" on the day. Otherwise, thoroughly enjoyable, perfect weather, good route and great support!!

Any thoughts on this year's marathon?

I forgot my timechip at home. So I´m not on the official list. Time was worse, not much training: 5:45 h.

But got the experience and used my Garmin Forerunner 305 the first time in a Marathon. It is good.

Did that one lady at the Englischer Garten screamed "You run fucking good" to you too? I guess she said that to numerous people.

Here is a picture from the finishing line.

i thought there were not many spectators around the last km (between 36-40) to cheer the last runners, it looked really hard work for some, hitting the infamous wall and a bit more people would have helped.

post-2601-1223882624_thumb.jpg

I was thinking of entering either the Munich or Berlin marathon for later this year. Are these German marathons fairly easy to get into or are they like the London one where you have to be either very lucky in the draw or raise a shit load of money for a charity to get in?