Munich marathon and 10km run

84 posts in this topic

I was just looking at the route for this year's (2007) marathon here in Munich, and it looks like they've now put the stretch through the English Garden at the beginning (kilometers 8-18). The last ten (painful) kilometers start around Marienplatz. Kudos to the organizers who had on their thinking caps when they switched it. Now instead of "hitting the wall" in solitude, runners can instead be cheered on by the masses of friendly spectators in the "Sightseeing" and "Party" bits. Or in my case, it would mean slamming into the wall with more people to watch as I cry and hobble to the finish (although I'm still not sure if I'll run it this year). Ah well. I still think it was a good move.

Anyone training for it this year?

Yeah, I don't know if I can convince myself to go through that last 10k again. That really was hell on earth and I'm not too sure a few extra folk cheering will help all that much!

I wanted to do this years (as my first full marathon), but it still depends on when I can re-uptake running, as I am still waiting for my achilles tendons to recover, then it might take some time to be back to long-distance training.

so if I am lucky, yes.

I;m glad to see some TTers doing the marathon. I'm not sure if I'm going to. I really want to, but I have to figure out when I'll be in Munich visiting (i'm hoping to make it over the marathon, but don't know yet because of work).

i prefer the old route. i rather hit the wall in the shaddy english garden than in the middle of marienplatz. i guess that is because when i ran it last time, it was a very sunny october day and the shade was nice.

I'm considering visiting for the Marathon this year, as I never managed to do enough training to do it when actually living in Munich.

That's true, planetmoni. Can't remember how shady it was at and around Marienplatz--if there were shadows from the buildings. I'm running a different marathon at the end of July, but I would still really LIKE to run Munich again. Two marathons in two and a half months isn't the smartest thing to do to the body, though. What to do, what to do.

And hippo, I say go for it! At least it's a good excuse to visit Munich again.

The other third has entered this and was wondering what the drinks will be at the drinks station.

I assume it will be still water (although it's not a given) and some form of sports drink.

Does anyone who has done this before know what brand the sports drink is as she wants to get used to it during training?

I see that the one below is an official partner so it would seem that this may be the one on the day:

post-11145-1179751101.jpg

Cheers,

Rascal.

The Basica website says that that's what the runners will get. I don't remember getting any bubbly water last year--was all still (does anyone else remember it this way as well?). There was also one drinks station with Redbull somewhere within the last 10 kilometers or so. I think there was free beer at the end, but family members weren't allowed in that area and mine were waiting for me--I just wanted to find them and get home!

Last year runners also had the option to bring their own bottles--those were on tables at the beginning of the drinks stations. Don't know how that was organized, but if someone only wanted to use the same drinks they trained with, they could.

everyone has different expierences. i loved the aumeister bit.

and i don't want the munich marathon to become like london and hamburg. No. no, no.

I could possibly run this one now. Running through the Englischer Garten around km35 really put me off this race, but now with the reverse direction it could be doable. It's either this one, Venice or Berlin for a fall marathon this year.

Can anyone helpme to find a club or trainer to get myself trained for the 10 kms run. I would be interested to finish this 10kms with a good time and would like to work on my speed. I need motivation for the same as well as corrections in my running if any! I can run 10 kms today but not a very good speed and I stop 2-3 times in between. Can anyone suggest for clubs or individual trainers for the same!! I am ready to bear a price:))

Nataras. So how fast do you run and how fast do you want to run .. depending on your answers I can make the right recommendation.

By the way if anyone is interested the University in Munich is doing a marathon build up research activity and is looking for people to test.

Here are the details (in German) www.sport.med.tum.de

Well my plan was do do Frankfurt on October 28th but Munich does seem like an option I might want to consider... Is there anybody here that has run both?

I would be interested to run this marathon 10kms but would like to run for a specific club and not alone. Is there any option called group registration or running for a club?