Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Problems setting up a bank account in Frankfurt

20 posts in this topic

Hi,

I setup a bank account with deutsche bank on Friday 4th of May. I still haven't received my ATM or credit card in the post.

I've been so busy this week that I haven't had time to go to a bank to ask for my money over the counter. I was planning on going tomorrow, thinking the banks would be open till 1pm or so, but just been told they don't open at all.

I have all my paper work plus passport as proof that I'm me... is there anywhere where I can travel tomorrow to get a withdraw over the counter? In frankfurt.

Munich?

Because the DB branches in FFM are closed, but there are test branches in Munich (Marienplatz) and Berlin open on Saturday. Could you pull cash from a credit card via Postbank (open Saturdays at post offices), Western Union or other finance places in the main station?

DB Saturday opening TT thread

Deutsche Bank in the center of Munich is open on Saturdays, so I'd have to imagine that there is at least one branch open in Frankfurt too. You should check on their website, or give them a call.

There used to be a DB in the airport. Don't know if it's still there, and I doubt it is open on Saturday, but may be worth checking out if you're desperate. Have you got a credit card? If so you could probably get cash at the foreign exchange shops in the airport.

DB Immobilien GmbH

House Address

Hamburger Allee 26-28

60486 Frankfurt am Main

Germany

Post Address

Frankfurt (Main)

Phone Number

Opening Hours

Monday - Friday

08:30 - 18:00

Saturday

09:30 - 13:00

No ATM

-------------------------------------------

Thats the only DB branch I can find, using their site that is open on Saturday. However is it even a bank? The name makes it seem like an estate agents.

I do have a credit card, but like I said in the first sentence of my first post, I have not physically received my ATM and credit card. I have my credit card number which was attached to one of the documents I signed, is that of any help? The document was basically the contract of the credit card, banks signature at the bottom with my own, with the card number typed at the top.

One other thing:

Where do deutsche post bring the post that they can't deliver. If the postman couldn't find my address etc, where does it get brought back too... and with having the correct ID e.g passport and apartment rental contract, can I go and retrieve it.

Why do you think that there could be undeliverable post adressed to you? Have you moved?

I think that undeliverable post is normally sent back to the sender, unless you have made a "Nachsendeantrag".

It'll sit in the Post Office/depot assigned to your PLZ for 24 hours before being returned to sender. You can claim the vagrant post with your passport. If it was registered, it'll be there for 7 working days.

Last question for me tonight,

If I bring my account number, with documents, and a passport... can I take money out of my account at the post office.

If it's a Girokonto, yep, they'll even let you overdraw, providing you have a Dispo. If your Postbank is a savings account, with the Sparcard, you can only withdraw from that account using your card and appropriate PIN. Anything else is blowing into a bag of bureaucratic meningitis for Christmas.

And that, was probably my most normal post in years. wtf.

Hmm, with my bank one receives ones cards about three weeks after ordering them. Did they tell you that your cards were sent out on the 7th or that your order was processed on that day? This would mean that they forwarded it to the manufacturer on that day.

can I take money out of my account at the post office

I wouldnt have thought you can take out from a DB account atthe post office

Don't you have an Irish bank card you can use

There is Saturday post, so you could get lucky tmrw

Ok just what to clarify this:

I can withdraw money from my DB current account, with only an official DB document with my account number on, and passport, at the post office.

Sorry, just incase you think I have a Postbank current account which I don't, as far as I know lol. Also what do you mean by Dispo.

Dispo is short for Dispositionskredit or The Overdraft. It's automatically relatively high here, 3.5K or 10K. Which is more than enough to fund a takeover of an island nation. I think.

EDIT: have I said too much? Bollocks, now the bank owns part of The Peoples Republic of Gobshytea too. That won't go down well with the natives. And I was having so much fun being a God...

Wow, more than 14 days to get settled on your banking? That is absolutely unacceptable! I would go to your DB branch right on Monday and tell them what I really think about their service. Don't forget to get your ATM card (EC Karte) and possible credit cards cancelled if they are out there in space before you order the new one.

Personally, I only bank with Commerzbank as they are much more friendly, personable, and fast. But well, there is no Saturday banking in FFM as much as I know.

Good luck to you!

I setup a bank account with deutsche bank on Friday 4th of May.

I was told the cards were sent out on the 7th of May

Did they tell you that your cards were sent out on the 7th or that your order was processed on that day? This would mean that they forwarded it to the manufacturer on that day.

I agree with E_ac: If the account was opened on a Friday (May 4th), I think it's virtually impossible for the order to have been processed and the cards made and sent out on the next working day (Monday, May 7th). I don't remember how long it took for my and my husband's cards to arrive when we opened our (Munich) account but it certainly seemed like forever.

I hope you won't have to wait much longer now. Good luck!

I think it should take about a week for the bank to issue the cars. Can you ring them and check the card has been sent out? Post is pretty quick here, so if I were you I'd definitely be asking a few question. Without meaning to be condescending beacuse I don't know how long you've been here for, but you do have your name on the letterbox? If not the postman won't leave anything.