Legal insurance

54 posts in this topic

No insurance wants bad business, and most will terminate a contract if they find the number, size or frequency of claims excessive (after they have handled any outstanding ones!). Others may simply impose a higher deductible for a period of time.

I'd say "a few cases a year" (every year) was excessive. Asking for advice is normally not penalised. I have a policy with HUK-Coburg who have a legal helpline that I regularly call (4-5 times a year and have never had any issues.

York, Thanks for the reply.

I just submitted the online contract/application, after seeing your reply. But the question still remains, in another form:

most will terminate a contract if they find the number, size or frequency of claims excessive

Based on what can they "terminate" the contract? Do they define this "exessiveness" somewhere in what I sign, or do they just make the decision based on their own judgment/feelings?

Nim - yes it's just their feeling. They can't normally cancel during the contracted term of a policy (typically a year), unless you have a claim. If you took out a policy and had, say 2 or 3 claims in a year then they are likely to cancel as they see you as a bad risk. If you keep the policy for 3 years and have a claim each year, then the same may be true. If you have 3 claims in 20 years then less likely. As I said (wrote) before, they might NOT cancel, but they MIGHT increase your deductible to deter you from trivial claims. Someone I know had 3 claims (two around 200€ one around 1000€) in two years and they increased his deductible from zero to 250€.

At the end of the day it's a business decision and no doubt based on some algorithm.

Hi

No insurance wants bad business, and most will terminate a contract if they find the number, size or frequency of claims excessive (after they have handled any outstanding ones!).

The fact I found surprising was that my legal insurance company, which is in the top 3 that Starshollow listed from finanztest, can cancel the contract without really any reason or comeback. I was simply naive in my belief. There was nothing frivolous or excessive about any of my claims, in all cases (and that's a sum total of 2 over several years) my case was settled in my favor, as I was the "wronged" party.

I was never offered any increase in the excess. Just cancelled, no discussion. A broker also asked them about allowing the contract to continue with higher excess, or increased premium, but they said no. He was able to find me an alternative insurer, so I am still covered. And we are a bit more aware.

Business is business. These are products where you will be likely be somehow penalized for using them, which is pretty much outwith your own control.

The same goes for private health insurance, but in a different sort of way. Get "too sick", or "tto often sick" and they *will* look for some loophole to kick you out.

IMO these markets are quite poorly regulated in Germany, which allows slightly dubious business practices, though to be fair I don't have a decent yardstick for comparison (I never had any sort of legal insurance when living in the UK, and no need for "health insurance" there either). Buyer beware.

CT

Hello All,

I thought I'd open this thread up again with my Legal Insurance question.

I am about to leave Germany but I have got a bunch of tenants that have caused me more money and legal pain than I care to remember so I want to have legal insurance to cover them deciding to cause problems again. My existing policy is only available to permanent German residents so now I need to find a new one.

Can anyone advise on whether they know of such a policy? I will be a UK resident when I leave Germany. I've looked at UK policies but they all only cover UK law and UK issues. I just need something that will cover any cases raised in Germany covered by German Law.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Just getting quotes myself for legal insurance so best would be to contact one of the advisers advertising here (JohnG or Startshollow) and see what they say, at least that way you can deal in English

Hey  gents,

I did not open a new topic as this is kinda related. When I get an insurance and then I find myself in need of using it, am I free to choose any lawyer and then insurance will cover up?

As a non German speaker, I would really like to pick my lawyer and not be assigned a "random" one I cannot even talk to!

Cheers!

Basically, yes, you are free to choose your own lawyer. There have been legal disputes about this with some insurance companies  but in general: free choice of lawyer, who will in turn check with the insurance company whether he/she can get permission to represent you (Deckungzusage ) . And check with the lawyer if his/her fees are in line with the official fee structure law " Anwaltsvergütungsgesetz ".

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Hello,

are there any insurances that offer some kind of English service or are they all German only ?

What do you think of Bavaria ORAG, they are rated top price/value on CHECK24, around 220 yearly for a family of 2 ...

Hello,

Is Mr. Gunn still active as insurance broker ?

I sent him several emails so far .

My sincerest apologies, bbogdanmircea!  I just spotted this thread and your post and fraufruit´s response.

I have been busy (usual excuse )....but I have found your last email and have replied in full!!!

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.