Legal insurance

54 posts in this topic

Leon, legal insurance can be really important. Just ask Max. <_<

(summary of Max's situation: riding his bicycle home on bike path at 3am. Police do a random spot control and find he's over the legal alcohol limit. Fine is 2250 euros plus 180 admin fees. (Or about a month in jail.) Then he's told he must do MPU idiot test, too. That's another 800-1500 euros. We think of idiot tests as only for folks who don't want to permanently lose driver's licence. In this case he doesn't have a license, but has been told that without successfully passing the idiot test he'll be banned from riding bicycles - and won't be allowed to ever drive a car in Germany. He could use a good lawyer.)

a legal coverage insurance can be good to have - but in the order of risk priorities, it is just a nice to have, not a forefront need. If you already have 3rd party liability insurance (private Haftpflicht), occupational disability/income protection in some decent form and in case you have loved ones to cover a risk life insurance, you might as well enjoy the benefits of a legal coverage insurance if you have the money for it. Otherwise I would strongly recommend to cover the other risks first and leave legal liability insurance til the end.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

summary of Max's situation: riding his bicycle home on bike path at 3am. Police do a random spot control and find he's over the legal alcohol limit.

So I guess I'll be careful to not drink and bike then. I can't afford legal insurance right now, more concerned with paying rent and buying groceries. Or maybe I should get the legal insurance and stop paying rent :)

Howard: assuming that the cause for such a dispute already exists (i.e. derives from your seperation already done and so on) a newly signed insurance would not cover any such disputed regardless, because it would be considered and existing problem/cause, not one yet to come in the future.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

@Starshollow. Thanks.. but if no formal dispute has been filed wit the authorities.. Its only up till now been talk and arguments etc. Surely one is allowed to safe-guard themselves for the potential eventually given such a situation..? (we never married.. so theres only been a child care arrangement.. no divorce.. and that arrangement isn't yet an official problem)

And back to my original question.. "Beratungs-Rechtsschutz im Familien-, Lebenspartnerschafts- und Erbrecht".. is that what one would usually ask for concerning family law..?

I am planning to take a rechtschutzversicherung. I want to know how is Versicherunskammerbayern for legal insurance?

http://cms.vkb.de/web/html/pk/versicherungen/rechtsschutz/

This seems not very expensive. Also, I read on TT people had good experience with this company.

Any recent personal experiences with this company? Or anything else in particualr I should look before going for this one?

I don't think the VKB is especially cheap - pretty average I would say. Bear in mind that the price (of any insurance) will drop if you accept a deductible. I can highly recommend VKB - they are helpful, friendly and professional. You only know how good an insurance is when you make a claim. I've made numerous insurance claims to VKB and without exception have been totally satisfied with the way (and especially the speed) they were handled. For me, this is far more important than the price of the insurance.

Remember, it's not a good idea to have legal insurance with a company that provides you with other insurance as one day you may need to sue them. For this reason I don't have my legal insurance with VKB, so can only comment on their general attitude, rather than anything specific about their legal insurance.

there was recenty a survey among lawyers with which legal liablity insurance/Rechtschutz they like to work together best and "Advocat" was very much on top of that list... seems their slogan is correct: Advocat is Anwalts Liebling :P

You might also want to check the ranking/rating from Finanztest since they are the most unbiased source for production checks and consumer protection available, the most recent test of REchtschutzversicherungen was in 2009, I have attached below a screenshot of the top ratings. For my own clients I personally/professionally prefer REchtschutzUNion/AlteLeipziger and Badische, closely followed by Roland.

post-8763-12968123347876.jpg

@Starshollow: I had a look at the price of some of the companies recommended in your finanztest list.

The prices are in the range of 300+ range. I am now not sure what are the critical differences between VKB and the insurances recommended by Finaztest?

Admittedly, VKB was recommended to me by my bank. I know the ansprechpartner in my bank and so it is very easy for me to set up the insurance with them. Also, I can get all the help/assistance in English.

So, if the difference between VKB and others is not much, I am inclined towards VKB :mellow:

But I am confused.

@YL6: Your point noted not to have legal insurance and other insurances with the same company. However, what are the chances of happening a conflict between the insurances? Do you have any personal experience? I sifted through most of the insurance threads on TT and have not found any such case. I know the sample size is small, however still substantial.

if you let me have a copy of the exact quote you'd got from your bank I can run the tariff you have been offered side by side with the ones Finanztest or I as a professional broker recommend. Price alone is a very poor yardstick to compare insurances, I am afraid and if a good, recommended insurance costs a certain amount of money and another one you found does not, the difference must be found in a lack of coverage somewhere because the mathematics for risk computation are about the same amongs insurance actuaries.

This is why most online comparions of insurances where the small-print is really relevant are pretty much worthless even to German natives, all the more so for ExPats.

And as a last "besides": banks are probably the worst place to get decent insurance advice. The just sell the products where the insurance either belongs to the bank group or with which their bank has any other special relationship. You would be better off if you go to an insurance agent who works for just one insurance company instead-- at least these guys, though they can't offer you anything but what their own insurance company has to offer, know what they are talking about indepth... I have talked with enough bankers to know that they just repeat what they have heard in some superficial trainings about the insurances they offer... really not what you want in the way of advice, trust me.

Just one more thing for you to understand: I am not trying to get this kind of business to me here. The commission for a 300 EUR/year contract is probably gross around 40-50 EUR at best. As an independent broker I HAVE to work out a decent comparison betwen the best insurance tariffs for a client because I am liable to offer only the best product from the market for the client's needs and wishes. That takes time and costs, in the end, more that what it is worth as business. We still do it, because it is part of a good service as an insurance broker, but I am not especially rooting for it, if you know what I mean. But I hate even more if people are getting "sold" on something important like that. This is why I am offering you the comparison because out of the hat and just based on the name I can't really tell you the difference, I need the exact tariff and numbers and then I can run it thru my software to give you a fair and unbiased comparison.

Cheerio

@YL6: Your point noted not to have legal insurance and other insurances with the same company. However, what are the chances of happening a conflict between the insurances?

What are the chances of a car accident, your house burning down, or you dropping dead? They are all insurable incidences. It's nothing to do with the chance that it could happen, but the fact it simply could. I would say the chances here are quite high - if you make what you think is a valid claim on a car accident with another company and they turn you down, or try to reduce your claim then you need someone else to pursue any action against them.

Of course, if you drop dead, then the situation is more clear cut.

@Starshollow: I don't have the papers with me because I have not yet signed the contract. However, I can give you the details:

I had opted for Privat-Rechtsschutz, Verkehrs-Rechtsschutz and Haus- und Wohnungs-Rechtsschutz. I am employed and married. I had chosen the contract for 1 year and with no self payment. The yearly fees for the insurance is 178,08€. Also, I have never before used services of a lawyer.

The details on what the insurance will include are available at the following link : http://cms.vkb.de/web/html/pk/versicherungen/rechtsschutz/

If you need some other specific info for comparison then please let me know. I will ask my bank and then let you know.

Thanks

what you don't mention is the amount of coverage... it could be only 100k, or 500k or unlimited... which obviously makes a large difference in the price.

Furthermore I need to know how much the max amount for bail is set in your quote in case you are imprisoned and only allowed out with bail.

And for how long the coverage is valid when you are travelling abroad.

Only with the full details can I do a comparison worth your and my time - which is why it would be better if you can send me the copy of the quote as you may not be able to find all this...

Cheerio

A bit late but now I have answers to all your questions. The coverage amount is unlimited. The bail amount is 100,000 euros. Also, the insurance is valid worldwide, however only for the first 90 days. If you want to anything else for the comparison then let me know.

I am travelling for the next four days but will now try to get you the comparison after I am back from my business trip, either Friday or Saturday, ok?

Cheerio

Hello All,

I thought I'd open this thread up again with my Legal Insurance question.

I am about to leave Germany but I have got a bunch of tenants that have caused me more money and legal pain than I care to remember so I want to have legal insurance to cover them deciding to cause problems again. My existing policy is only available to permanent German residents so now I need to find a new one.

Can anyone advise on whether they know of such a policy? I will be a UK resident when I leave Germany. I've looked at UK policies but they all only cover UK law and UK issues. I just need something that will cover any cases raised in Germany covered by German Law.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hallo,

I am looking for legal aid insurance (Rechtschutzversicherung) for following options:

- Privat

- Wohnen

- Beruf

- Verkehr

Can you please suggest some good option. I searched on internet, but its difficult to differentiate between them.

Thanks in advance,

ARS