Problem landlords and rental deposit returns

696 posts in this topic

hello,

i'd be very grateful for any advice on how to deal with my landlord...

i've been living in a wohngemeinschaft with 5 other people (2 friends, 3 others) for the last year. the 3 of us are moving out on tuesday, and have been trying to get information off our landlord regarding the return of our deposits. our landlord has told us that it will take 6-12 months for him to check everything out and return the deposit...however we're all students and can't afford to let that amount of money go. is it normal for german landlords to take that long, or does he just want to keep our money sitting in a high interest bank account for a bit longer? (he's the tightest cheapskate i've ever met)

the other problem is that he won't be coming to the flat before we leave, so we can't discuss any problems with him face to face. or in any other way for that matter. we've tried contacting him by email, but he ignores them. we've tried ringing, but have been hung up on as soon as he hears something which he doesn't want to. how should we find out exactly what we are expected to do before we leave? for example, the only problem in my room is that one of the white walls is pretty dirty. it was like that when i moved in, yes, its a palace, but i have a feeling that when we leave, the landlord will try and (over)charge me for the painting of the walls. if he's going to do that, i'd rather paint the wall myself with a tin of cheap whitewash but he won't come round to look at the rooms, let alone talk to us.

can anyone help??

thankyou!

the landlord will try and (over)charge me for the painting of the walls
Thanks to changes in the law, he cannot charge you.

New Redecoration Laws

As for the rest, do you have a hausmeister? If so, get them to come and inspect the apartment and sign a form saying the condition of the place is ok. I get the feeling the Landlord is waiting for you to move out then will mysteriously come up with a list of things that were wrong and take them out of your deposits.

or does he just want to keep our money sitting in a high interest bank account for a bit longer?

I think the laws are the same over here as they are in the UK. Legally this money is not his, so any interest earned belongs to you. Not too sure on this <_<

Ive just been sorting out moving out of my place, and the landlord says ill get my deposit back straight away!

cheers everyone. we found the flats through the mitwohnzentrale, do you think they'll be able to help, or are these places just there to help you find the flat in the first place?

info about the interest is interesting ta...although hold out zero hope on that one if we can't even get to the end of a phone call...

i would say definitely get in touch with the mitwohncentrale, even if they can't help you out with this fecker, they won'T put his property on their books again...

i was living in nurnberg a few years ago in a mitwohncentrale arranged place and they frequently mediated between us and our psychotic land lady...

He's obviously trying to take the piss.

Check these guys out: Mieterschutz

As Noddy said, your first pot of call should be the Mitwohnzentrale. Another option if you know where he lives (his address should be on your rental contract) would be to go round and see him mob-handed. He'll have a hard time ignoring 5 of you on his doorstep. If its an apartment block ring someone else's doorbell to get into the building (just say "Schlüßel vergessen" or something if they ask). cos' I doubt he'll be inclined to let you in.Unfortunately only really a viable option if he lives in or near Munich though.

:o When I was here previously, the landlady did not give me my deposit back. The place was clean and her friend was happy when she saw it on the last day of my stay.

However I had to leave the country and when the landlady looked at it herself she started to compain about the mess etc. She said she will give me only 300 euros out of 1350.

Has anyone been in a similar situation that could give me some advice.

Well I rarely get deposits back, because me and my flatmates have ALWAYS done more damage than what the deposit is worth.

Best bet is to consider it an expense, and get your moneys worth of wear and tear out of the place. :D

Consider it an expense? Bollocks!!

Dont know if there is much you can do now. But really when handing the keys back, u should get them to sign a handovor protocol saying they are happy with the apartment. That way they cant legally take any money from your deposit.

they will do it and see if they can get away with it - thinking you will not follow it up.

tell them you will come back to the apartment and demolish it and you know which school their children go to, etc.

alternatively have some albanian or turkish friends present then they will not try and pull a fast one as germans tend to have real fear of these people.

Good luck, but the stories I've heard aren't good (but I don't think this is just true for Germany, though I thought they'd be really good about it given how they won't even break the rules to cross an empty street).

Indeed when I left San Francisco my Russian friends who work in and other "businesses" told me that these sort of things might happen... and that if it did they'd be thrilled to visit for some beers and to "take care of the matter"... and I know they'd get any deposit back plus a "penalty fee".

All I can say is sometimes it's nice to have some "unusual" friends. :ph34r:

Of course you can do something about it, you could take them to court. A thousand Euros is a lot of money, it might be worth investigating. However, I would recommend joining the Munich Mietverein for future cases, as being a member of them not only entitles you to free advice about rental law, but in case you do have to go to court vs. your landlord regarding your flat, you are provided a lawyer for free by the Mietverein. Probably too late for this occasion, but good to know for the future. If you want, PM and I'll recommend you.

Very important:

get your suite checked with caretaker (Hausmeister) when you move in - write EVERYTHING down and you and caretaker sign this move-in report...

do the same when moving out...if you have black on white that everything is ok with the suite - they cannot charge you for anything. If you didn´t sign anything by move-in or move-out - they can charge you for anything they want...

Last January I signed a lease for an unrenovated apartment with cheap rent. When I signed the lease, they promised new windows would be put in by the time I moved in and they were.

They also promised to pay for my renovation materials which they reneged on. Now they are trying to raise the rent on me already with the excuse of the cost of the new windows.

I know this isn't legal, but how to go about fighting them? Does anyone know which is the best Mietverein (Renter's association) or lawyer's specializing in this sort of thing?

Thread merged by admin.

sitting in a high interest bank account for a bit longer?

yeah, 3 Lions is right. He has to put it in a bank account on which you and him have access after the rental has finished and he doesn't show any official complaint.

All intrest is yours.

Now they are trying to raise the rent on me already with the excuse of the cost of the new windows. I know this isn't legal,
Yes it is. Major improvements and renovations can be added to the rent, spread out over 10 years or so.

do the same when moving out...if you have black on white that everything is ok with the suite - they cannot charge you for anything.

That paper isn't worth all that much, and the landlord can easily refuse to sign that thing. Even if he does sign it that still means you can be held responsible for damage that wasn't obvious when you moved out.

Someone I know drilled holes into the chimney for example, which is a big no-no since it soon caused water to move into the wall and start some evil mold. Had to pay the damage even after he had moved out which serves him right since he's an architect and should have known better.

well,

My ex landlord is trying to make me pay for 40m² of Parket flooring when only 6in² was not up to standard..

estimate 6-8000,00 €

AND he did not open a joint, hi interest account...

Ho hum