Post delivery times from Germany to the U.S.

69 posts in this topic

The value is about $200 per set of tickets, not the $2000 threshold. Would they be trying to figure out a duty?

What $2000 threshold would that be?

After reading this post, I am beyond concerned. I purchased two sets of tickets for FCB vs. Mainz and when tracked them to the US via the Deutsche Post tracking number, they arrived on September 7. It is now September 22 and I do not have the tickets. I have contacted the seller and he said it would be two weeks to get a response from Deutsche Post. Since the game is Saturday and I leave Friday for Munich, does anyone have any suggestions, thoughts, or ideas? I have no idea why the US Customs office would not send my tickets on. The value is about $200 per set of tickets, not the $2000 threshold. Would they be trying to figure out a duty?

Thank you in advance!

Did you use this site?

http://www.usps.com/

I sent a certified letter to a guy in California on 11 August, he said that after three weeks he had not received it. According to the above tracking site he had been notified on 16 August - but there had been no notification in his PO box. Check with your local post office. Good luck!

In general, delivery times from Munich to the West Coast are from 3 to 7 days.

Off topic: In one case, delivery time from Munich to Austria was the letter lying around in Munich for four days before being sent to Austria where it was not delivered on Saturday because that's against Austrian laisser-faire.

a formal entry is required for items over $2000.00 according to the customs web page. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/215 I have contacted the toll free US postal number and the local postal number in my home town. Both tell me the tracking number leads to the "package" being in the USA on September 7. The local postal worker, who I am loosely related to and recognized my name did say they were in New York which the previous two postal workers did not indicate. They really did not want to give me any information and even made it sound like they actually knew something, just couldn't tell me. I don't care what the duty is at this point, I don't care what I have to do at this point, I just want answers!

Thank you for letting me know these travel times, I am going to be contacting as many people as I can today. I will just start calling numbers until I figure out something! I have no idea why two tickets in an envelope would not make it, and on two separate letters.

Hi folks,

I ordered an audio cd from a company in Oakland, CA (near San Francisco) on June 14th and still the cd has not arrived here in Germany. The company told me it sends all shipments via standard airmail (is that USPS' "First Class Airmail" compared to "Priority Airmail"?)

Does anybody know how long it usually takes for a shipment of that kind from the US to Germany?

Well, I mailed my Election Ballot back to the USA today.  The election is still two weeks away, I hope it gets there in time!  Luckily, there is a website that I can track to see if my county has received my ballot or not.   I'll be sure to check around Nov. 2nd.

@sarabyrd faxes her ballot back to the US. But her brother, like you, @Ruhetag, mails his. Chancy these days, with the US Postal Service being shaken like a limp rag by Trump's cleaning lady in charge of the USPS, Louis DeJoy. 

DeJoy was CEO of New Breed Logistics for thirty years and was a major Republican donor before being appointed by Trump in 2020. From Wikipedia, 
" A 2001 audit found that the USPS had given New Breed Logistics a noncompetitive contract of more than $300 million starting in 1992.[7] The audit concluded that if the bidding had been competitive, taxpayers could have saved up [to] $53 million. Reporting in 2020, NBC News wrote, 'The audit raises questions about whether New Breed knowingly overbilled the Postal Service, and it renews scrutiny of the background and qualifications of DeJoy, a prolific Republican Party fundraiser and donor who was appointed to lead the Postal Service over objections from many officials involved in the selection process.'"[

I used to be able to fax my California ballot, but as a new resident of Wisconsin, it's only post.

So, I registered in December as voting from abroad. Since then, for every election (local and primaries), the ballot showed up here. Lo and behold, the consequential presidential election ballot went to my WI address, even though online it said it had been sent to me in Germany.

My people in the US were worried that asking for a new ballot to be sent to me correctly would delay things, so they sent it priority (for almost $40!). This was about 3 weeks ago. It is not here.

Luckily it's a small town, and they kind of know the clerk from around, and mentioned this issue. She was apparently apologetic, and I am now in email contact with her (due to my unique name, she remembered me immediately). She emailed me a ballot, but it needed to be sent back (with an adult US citizen witness' signature). Finally did yesterday, registered post.

FedEx is apparently having a EUR25 next-day special for US voters in some of Europe ( https://www.usvotefoundation.org/FedEx-2020-Special-US-Ballot-Return-Offer-Ten-Euro-Countries ), but I had issues registering, due to the stupid plug-ins they use, and the fact that the website was having issues. It's such an obscure offer that there is basically only one way to request it for that price (otherwise it was quoting something like EUR70 - fuck that).

Anyway, let's see if my vote makes it. Otherwise, Wisconsin's shenanigans will have worked to disenfranchise me...

8 hours ago, Ruhetag said:

Well, I mailed my Election Ballot back to the USA today.  The election is still two weeks away, I hope it gets there in time!  Luckily, there is a website that I can track to see if my county has received my ballot or not.   I'll be sure to check around Nov. 2nd.

I'm also registered to vote in a mail-in-only state. I airmailed my ballot in September and it took 30 days to arrive at the city clerk's office. That tracks with the rate with which other airmailed items (birthday cards, etc.) have been getting to my US loved ones on the East Coast and in the Midwest, too. :-(     I hope yours moves more quickly!

Folks,

I'm in the US and send letters to a couple relatives and friends in Berlin.  It takes about six days for a letter sent from the US to arrive in Berlin.  The last letter I received from Berlin was mailed on June 28th and arrived on September 8th!  Two and a half months!  I do not know why there is such a delay in mail coming from Germany to the US.  

S.

Read here:

https://www.dhl.de/de/privatkunden/pakete-versenden/weltweit-versenden/land/vereinigte-staaten-von-amerika.html

Hmm, that doesn‘t seem to point to the page I wanted it to.

quote:

USA:
Die Transportkapazitäten in die Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika sind aktuell erheblich reduziert, so dass der Versand von Briefen und Paketen nur unter besonderen Maßnahmen aufrechterhalten werden kann. Bitte beachten Sie, dass wir ab dem 15. September 2020 manche Produkte bis auf Weiteres per Seefracht in die USA befördern werden. Dabei muss mit sehr langen Laufzeiten von mindestens 25-30 Tagen gerechnet werden. Für Ziele im Westen der Vereinigten Staaten oder in abgelegenen Regionen kann die Laufzeit auch deutlich darüber liegen.

Doesn‘t really answer the „why“, but it‘s a known problem.

47 minutes ago, Shenandoah said:

Folks,

I'm in the US and send letters to a couple relatives and friends in Berlin.  It takes about six days for a letter sent from the US to arrive in Berlin.  The last letter I received from Berlin was mailed on June 28th and arrived on September 8th!  Two and a half months!  I do not know why there is such a delay in mail coming from Germany to the US.  

S.

Covid19 situation has been affecting mail deliveries in many countries.  Maybe your mail was stuck in US customs!

RedMidge,

It was only a letter, not a package.  Same situation earlier in the year.  A friend in Berlin mailed a letter late March and it didn't arrive until mid May.  Prior to COVID it would take three weeks or so for a letter to arrive from Berlin.  I don't know where/why there is such a delay in mail coming FROM Germany.  As I mentioned, I can send a letter to Berlin from the US and it arrives in six days or so.  

S.

5 hours ago, martinamr said:

Read here:

https://www.dhl.de/de/privatkunden/pakete-versenden/weltweit-versenden/land/vereinigte-staaten-von-amerika.html

Hmm, that doesn‘t seem to point to the page I wanted it to.

quote:

USA:
Die Transportkapazitäten in die Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika sind aktuell erheblich reduziert, so dass der Versand von Briefen und Paketen nur unter besonderen Maßnahmen aufrechterhalten werden kann. Bitte beachten Sie, dass wir ab dem 15. September 2020 manche Produkte bis auf Weiteres per Seefracht in die USA befördern werden. Dabei muss mit sehr langen Laufzeiten von mindestens 25-30 Tagen gerechnet werden. Für Ziele im Westen der Vereinigten Staaten oder in abgelegenen Regionen kann die Laufzeit auch deutlich darüber liegen.

Doesn‘t really answer the „why“, but it‘s a known problem.

Ahh CRAP!!  I've scanned and emailed ballots in the past, but my printer/scanner died and I haven't replaced it yet.  I wish I would have seen this first.  It would have hastened me to get a new printer/scanner unit this week.    :angry:

On 10/21/2020, 12:49:22, Acton said:

Snail mail? Good grief Charlie Brown. Just send an email!

Acton,

The relatives in Berlin do not have a computer or a smart phone, so email and texting are not possible.  I did bring over a laptop for them a couple years ago.  It's still sitting in the laptop bag.  They're in their 80's and do not have any desire to 'figure out" how to use a computer. 

Yes, I do call at least once a week but when they need to send something, it takes forever.

S.

I checked my county website this week and got a new security policy rejection.  "Oh Great!"  I thought to myself.  "More election meddling".

I VPN'ed into the USA, and the website worked.  That's new...(?)   IP checking wasn't in place for the August 2020 Primaries...

Anyhow, they received my ballot!  Woot! Woot!  

So, my ballot actually made it on 2 November. I was really surprised. I mailed it registered with signature on 20 October, so that's just under 2 weeks, when the priority mail I was waiting for took 4 weeks. I'm thinking it was delayed in Germany by the goddamned customs (there was a sticker on the envelope)! I hate those ass hats.