Best Apfelweinwirtschaft in Frankfurt

11 posts in this topic

Hey,

The parents are making their long overdue appearance in Frankfurt am Main and I would like to take them to an Apfelweinwirtschaft that has good atmosphere AND pretty good food. I've taken people to Adolf Wagner's, but always been a little disappointed by its food.

So, where do people like to go to get their Apfelwein fix and what can you recommend?

Hey sc..the place I went to last week, Atschel (in sachs, just down from An Sibin and er, Walnuss) was quite tasty and very un-adolf wagner-like (not smoky, bright, friendly service...very un-touristy and more local frankfurter kind of place I'd say). The meals all looked quite tasty, nice menu that goes a bit beyond stuff like schweinehaxe and handkaes mit musik, etc, and they also have a decent sized summer garden in the back. Oh, and for those who aren't so keen on the ebbelwei they also have a selection of wine, beer, aperitifs, etc..

So when do we all get to meet the folks? :D

You still have to take them by Das gemalte Haus though, it's beautiful and people will think you've cheated them if you don't. Like missing the Hofbräuhaus in Munich. Right next to Wagner's. The Rippchen at Wagner's is quite good though, but it's friggin' huge.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/frankfurt/al..._frankfurt.html -- not sure if any of these are Apfelweinwirtschaften actually.

Yeah, well I live two doors down from Das gemalte Haus so I think we'll make it in there to sample some brew. But not the food though, I had a look at the menu once and it really was just "plonk a big slice of animal with a large pile of carbs with no color or seasoning and enjoy." It was a little much for me so I think the Floridians might have some trouble with it...

But thanks for the tips, any other people with favorites out there?

my favourite Apfelweinwirtschaft in Frankfurt is the Eichkatzerl on Dreieichstraße just behind Alt-Sachsenhausen. I pretty much take everyone there who is visiting and the atmosphere is good inside, not TOO crazy. They are also pretty friendly which makes a change, I know the Kellnerin there quite well.

They've got a great outside garden for when the wetter is good. And the food is the best that I have had in Frankfurt, that is why I like it so much.

The schnitzels are awesome and the Frankfurt specialities are great. Steak and Käsespätzle also very good...

would defo recommend.

www.eichkatzerl.de :)

As a vegetarian I can completely understand where you're coming from with the meat/carbs/plate thing!! Your parents might like Zur Sonne at the top of Bergerstr, it's in the old part of Bornheim and the restaurant has a lovely garden if you go there in the afternoon/early evening. The applewine is great and they have quite a lot of veg options as well as a great selection of handkase etc. It's my favourite and isn't packed with tourists, as Wagner sometimes is.

http://www.selected-restaurants.com/cgi-bi..._restaurant=148

The latest issue of the beer snobs' magazine has a feature on Apfelwein and recommends some places, of which a selection is given below:

• Lorsbacher Thal - Beautiful bar and garden; Apfelwein fruity, light and zingy, comes into its own with the local dish Handkäse mit Musik, Brot und Butter.
  • Zum Eichkatzerl - Traditional bar, full menu; Apfelwein is cloudy, light and fresh, rounded not zingy.
  • Klaane Sachsehäuser - Great Apfelwein bar; produces own Apfelwein, hint of earthiness but leaving clean palate.
  • Fichtekränzi - Busy pub with full menu, serving Apfelwein from Hoffman.
  • Restaurant Lagerhaus - Not exactly traditional, but serves the excellent, organic Matsch und Brei Apfelwein.

post-977-1180088138.jpg

Zum Eichkatzerl