Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

1,309 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Why was Madeleine's DNA found in the trunk (boot) of their car?

Every time I watch a 'krimi' where the husband or wife kills the spouse and the police question the 'suspect', 'why was your DNA / prints found on the kitchen knife (murder weapon)'?  Fook, I dunno... perhaps I've been known to cook on occasion. 

Would have been more interesting Jeffo, had no DNA been found in the boot or car for that matter.  She could have sneezed in the direction of the boot, spit, or soiled (urine stained) underwear placed in the trunk.  Numerous explanations and possibilites.

3 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

I once had a rental car for a few weeks and my Daughter never went in the boot... never!

Well, every time we got a new car, the boot was the first place my kids went to - go figure!

2 minutes ago, BayrischDude said:

Would have been more interesting Jeffo, had no DNA been found in the boot or car for that matter.  She could have sneezed in the direction of the boot, spit, or soiled (urine stained) underwear placed in the trunk.  Numerous explanations and possibilites.

Or her body was put in the boot... you forgot that one..

1 minute ago, Tap said:

Well, every time we got a new car, the boot was the first place my kids went to - go figure!

Maybe they were looking for Madeleine... Go figure...

1 hour ago, Tap said:

I would imagine a child's DNA would be found all over a car, that's the nature of children.  Gerry McCann is an average sized man, a lot of men in a holiday area are going to look similar in height, weight and clothing.

I believe that if they were guilty, they would have faded into the background by now, but they haven't, they've said they'll keep looking until they find her.

From various reports, alledgedly, any significant DNA evidence was potentially lost due to police delaying forensic investigation of the apartment.  

The 2 British sniffer dogs brought over much later detected cadaver and blood scent in the apartment and the car that was apparently hired 25 days after Madeleine's disappearance. Cadaver scent also detected on the cuddly toy frequently carried by Kate McCann. 

1 minute ago, SpiderPig said:

Or her body was put in the boot... you forgot that one..

It is possible, but not conclusive.  It neither proves nor disproves anything.  Again, had the police determined that no DNA was found anywhere in the car - no hairs, no prints, no DNA, that would be quite interesting.  

The fact that her DNA was found in the boot could be useful in the future.  It will depend upon the totality of the circumstances.

8 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Maybe a topic for another thread!

But the BBC (so UK orientated) asked a similar question a few years ago and they defined that there now seems to be 7 classes in the UK.

Maybe, but doesn't seem to stop anyone else :)

To round the BBC information off, and to see where this all started, it is worth mentioning EP Thompson and his seminal work "The Making of the English Working Class". 

Spoiler: also UK oriented.

8 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Why was Madeleine's DNA found in the trunk (boot) of their car?

It wasn't. And has been misreported. Poor journalism. The quality of the samples taken was too poor to allow a conclusive result.

I trawled through the portuguese press at one point. There was stuff that didn't make it into the English press or got lost in translation. There was a similar disappearance just a few km away a couple of years earlier but that got swept under the carpet because the mother was not a full shilling.

@ FF: a vague definition of working class in the UK was where the breadwinner was an employee (or on benefits) and never going to be his own boss. Akin to modern-day surfdom if they were in heavy industry and expected to have a job for life. The middle class tended to be self-employed. Think shop or factory owners or industrialists. The professions were in the upper middle. Upper class were land-owning gentry. Fluidity between the classes was difficult. I look back and remember being the wrong sex and wrong class to even be considered for law. I was told I would simply have no chance on the basis of my accent and social background. Same for the elite universities although the brain was there way back when.

The cadaver in the boot and apartment could have been animal or just not fresh raw meat. It was a bit of a red-herring over-cooked by press wanting to keep the story selling. :(

9 hours ago, Tap said:

I would imagine a child's DNA would be found all over a car, that's the nature of children.  Gerry McCann is an average sized man, a lot of men in a holiday area are going to look similar in height, weight and clothing.

I believe that if they were guilty, they would have faded into the background by now, but they haven't, they've said they'll keep looking until they find her.

According to some they rented the car after she disappeared but there was no DNA. Another Sun reader's lies. Tell a lie so often and...

There has been what appears to be a major development in this case.

BBC: Madeleine McCann 'assumed dead' by German prosecutors

Madeleine McCann is "assumed to be dead" say German prosecutors, who are investigating the disappearance of the British girl.

A 43-year-old German man is being investigated on suspicion of murder, the German public prosecutor added.

The suspect, who has not been named, is currently in prison.

He is believed to have been in the area where Madeleine was last seen, when she disappeared as a three-year-old in Portugal in 2007.

Police are appealing for the public's help in solving the case, after they announced they had a new suspect on Wednesday.

Madeleine's parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, felt the latest development was "potentially very significant", the family's spokesman said.

On Wednesday, Germany's federal criminal police office (BKA) - which is leading this stage of the case - said the man was serving a jail sentence in Germany for a sex crime.

He has "numerous" previous convictions for "sexual abuse of children", the office added.

etc.

BBC: Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect

The day after Madeleine vanished, the suspect transferred a Jaguar car to someone else's name.

... He was in the Praia de Luz area where the McCann family was staying when she disappeared and received a phone call at 7.32pm, which ended at 8.02pm.

More from Deutsche Welle:

German sex offender identified as suspect in Madeleine McCann disappearance

... Between 1995 and 2007, the German suspect lived primarily in the Algarve region, including in a house between Lagos and Praia da Luz. The unnamed suspect allegedly supplemented his income by criminal means, including carrying out burglaries in hotel complexes and holiday homes as well as selling drugs. ...

A spokeswoman for the McCann family, Clarence Mitchell, told BBC television on Thursday morning that "of all the thousands of leads and potential suspects that have been mentioned in the past, there has never been something as clear-cut as that from not just one, but three police forces." ...

If this turns out to be the person responsible I hope it gives the McCanns some closure and shuts the anti-McCann brigade up, though that will probably be too much to hope for.

"Det Ch Insp Mark Cranwell, who is in charge of the Met investigation - known as Operation Grange - said the suspect, then aged 30, frequented the Algarve between 1995 and 2007, staying for "days upon end" in his camper van and living a "transient lifestyle".

He was in the Praia da Luz area where the McCann family was staying when she disappeared and received a phone call at 19:32, which ended at 20:02. Madeleine is believed to have disappeared between 21:10 and 22:00 that evening.

Police have released details of the suspect's phone number (+351 912 730 680) and the number which dialled him (+351 916 510 683), and said any information about these numbers could be "critical".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52916137

It must be an ongoing nightmare for the parents. Losing your child that way and then never be sure where she is, having to ask yourself whether she still is alive or not. I really do hope that this case will now be solved. Best scenario this girl still there (some might remember the case of the girl abducted in Austria returning 10 years later) or if that is not the case at least some final Information about her whereabouts. I will keep my fingers crossed.

11 hours ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

It must be an ongoing nightmare for the parents. Losing your child that way and then never be sure where she is, having to ask yourself whether she still is alive or not.

Add to that being accused of her disappearance all over the press and social media.

I always believed them.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Add to that being accused of her disappearance all over the press and social media.

I always believed them.

So did I, but that just seems to me to be a normal humane reaction. Judging from the start of this thread there were plenty of people even on this board blaming the parents - at least for leaving their children unattended, albeit checked on. It seems obvious that the parents made a horrendous mistake doing that, and reasonable to suppose they will blame themselves for the rest of their lives, more than anyone else can ever blame them. I can't understand why so many people can't seem to realise that people make mistakes, including big mistakes, especially if they have a false sense of security while being on holiday and being with friends who were doing the same thing with their children. It's as if none of the anti-McCanns has ever made mistakes or done something stupid, whether alone or in the false security of a group. It seems to me that a lot of the antipathy towards them has to do with social class, an issue even raised as soon as the second post in this thread, and most of all jealousy, whether of their status as GPs and hence presumed wealth, good looks, articulacy or ability to campaign for their daughter. The last point really seems to rile the anti-McCanns, who rant about other missing children not receiving the same attention. It's as if Madeleine McCann is the last person on their minds, so bound up are they in their hatred for the parents.

Watched this last night and thought it was interesting:

Why Madeleine McCann Officer Is The 'Most Hopeful' He's Ever Been | This Morning

Somehow this has made me think of the case of Markus Gäfgen who kidnapped the son of a banker.

He was arrested and did not tell the whereabouts of the boy. As the police was still hoping that he was alive the vice president of the police ordered the use of violence as a last ditch attempt to locate the boy.

The threat worked and Gäfgen came clean, sadly too late to recover him alive.

Gäfgen then sued the police for torture, this ended in the so-called Daschner-Process and a discussion if Rettungsfolter (lifesaving torture, go figure) can be an acceptable method to force sombody to tell the truth.

Daschner was ordered to pay a fine of 3000 Euro and is not considered as Vorbestraft.

2 hours ago, slammer said:

Somehow this has made me think of the case of Markus Gäfgen who kidnapped the son of a banker.

He was arrested and did not tell the whereabouts of the boy. As the police was still hoping that he was alive the vice president of the police ordered the use of violence as a last ditch attempt to locate the boy.

The threat worked and Gäfgen came clean, sadly too late to recover him alive.

Gäfgen had strangled the boy almost immediately after kidnapping him.  So, three days later when Gäfgen, under threat of violence, disclosed the location of the body, under the jetty of a remote pond, it was indeed to late to recover him alive.