Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

1,309 posts in this topic

Nonsense, Leon! You probably looked better than me..I hated my curly locks:D as a child and I really hated people saying I looked like my brother!!

NO CHILD is ugly (seen from an adult´s perspective ).

Adults´ ugly thoughts  are an issue, though.

1 hour ago, tor said:

Because she is a white, cute, blond, girl.

Seriously?  Tor, you're better than that.

It comes down to pressure from the family and new leads that continue to be reported.  It has nothing to do with skin or hair colour.

In 1990 a missing woman and her two sons were reported to my office.  I worked that investigation for 2 years!  At the onset it was all I did for about 8 months.  Slowly it became a few days a week.  New leads and ideas would come in along with constant contact with the woman's mother.  She had neither blond hair nor white skin.  I dug through fields and trash dumps along with the German police.  We rummaged through old furnaces with dogs and anything imagineable to include hundreds or interviews and reinterviews.  Would make the Mueller Report look like a traffic ticket.

I left that office in 1993, but it was continued until around 1999 or 2000, when it was finally closed.  Nine or ten years for a non-white family. 

More often than not, a missing person case is done rather quickly.  After a few months, no more leads are reported and the family tends to move on.  Without those it gets filed.  Of course having money helps.  Private investigators are often hired and what they find gets reported as well. 

It often gets me riled up when someone concludes that only certain people get preferential treatment from law enforcement.  Does it happen?  I'm sure it does.  But to think LE says or thinks, 'well, we'll only put in effort if the family is white, affluent and the missing person is cute'. 

1 hour ago, French bean said:

Because both her parents are Doctors, educated, mix in the right circles and have been able to raise funding for a very effective media campaign. If she was from say a working class family from Liverpool or Barnsley ...

On the other hand, are you saying a working class family are too thick to care about their child? Some don´t but that´s across the classes.

1 minute ago, john g. said:

On the other hand, are you saying a working class family are too thick to care about their child? Some don´t but that´s across the classes.

Not saying that at all, what I'm saying is that people from a certain background know how to rallye resources and are more often listened to than those from poorer backgrounds. Bayrische Dude stated that the police will continue looking while there are leads, that means leads have to be generated either through jolting people's memories or putting lots of resources in place. You can't do either unless you have money.

As for continuing to campaign, again that costs money and you need to know the right people to ensure that the message gets out, that the media are still interested after the initial 2 weeks. Now how many working class families have that kind of financial back up and mix in the right circles as well as having the skills to develop and co-ordinate a campaign?

Perhaps the parents have made more effort to keep the story in the news, but the facts of the case make it interesting and terrifying at the same time. I can't think of virtually any other case where a kid went from tucked up in bed to disappearing without a trace.

The case of Inga who disappeared from Stendal 4 years ago hasn't made anything like the same media impact:

https://www.mdr.de/sachsen-anhalt/stendal/stendal/inga-vier-jahre-verschwunden-weitere-ermittlungen-100.html

There was a 2 year old in Limerick who apparently walked almost a mile from his home in the middle of the night and was returned safely:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26665286

Would someone please explain to me what "working class" means in this day and age? Are you referring to the 99% of people who work for a living? Seems so outdated.

6 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Would someone please explain to me what "working class" means in this day and age?

Perhaps you could try google to start with and then get back to us with any specifics that are unclesr? Or start a separate thread for all the things you do not understand rather than using every discussion available for this purpose? 

E.G.: (Fraufruit thread) Things I do not understand

You seem to have particular difficulties orienting yourself to UK topics. Perhaps you could google for a UK context too if especially important to you.

I watched some of the latest Netflix documentary.  There is a reference to the McCann's having the kind of connections to elevate the investigation.  Just got to the part where blood and cadaver sniffer dog indicate the apartment and the rental car.  

6 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

Perhaps you could try google to start with and then get back to us with any specifics that are unclesr? Or start a separate thread for all the things you do not understand rather than using every discussion available for this purpose? 

E.G.: (Fraufruit thread) Things I do not understand

You seem to have particular difficulties orienting yourself to UK topics. Perhaps you could google for a UK context too if especially important to you.

Hi Smurf,

English is not really my mother tongue but could you perhaps explain what Uncles have to do with Google? 

Asking for a friend

8 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Would someone please explain to me what "working class" means in this day and age? Are you referring to the 99% of people who work for a living? Seems so outdated.

Maybe a topic for another thread!

But the BBC (so UK orientated) asked a similar question a few years ago and they defined that there now seems to be 7 classes in the UK:

• Elite: Most privileged group, set apart from other classes because of wealth. Highest scoring economically, socially and culturally

• Established middle class: Largest class group and second wealthiest. Also score high culturally and socially

• Technical middle class: Small distinct group that aren't so social but have money and are into emerging culture such as gaming, the internet and rock music

• New affluent workers: A young group, socially and culturally active with middling levels of income

• Traditional working class: Score low economically, socially and culturally but have reasonably high house values and oldest average age

• Emergent service workers: New young urban group who don't have much money but are very social and cultural. They "live for today"

• Precariat: Poorest, most deprived class who score low economically, socially and culturally

Sources:

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21953364

Calculate your class

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22000973

Well, that looks like an awful lot of concern about class status. Hmm. Makes one wonder.

@fraufruit In the US, normally only politicians refer to "working class", but use it as a positive, indicating salt-of-the-earth, values-oriented people. Academically, we have changed to speaking about the poor, working poor, middle class ($54k-$112k give or take) and rich. It seems that this idea of manual labor as being attached to a lower socio-economic status (not my US plumber or HVAC guys) is a British thing. Shame that. 

I still think the parents did it. They drugged the kids so they'd stay quiet and asleep while they were away drinking with friends, but they OD'd poor Madeleine, and the husband disposed of the body.

14 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

I still think the parents did it. They drugged the kids so they'd stay quiet and asleep while they were away drinking with friends, but they OD'd poor Madeleine, and the husband disposed of the body.

Troll!

19 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

If the parents were any way involved, why would they keep bringing it back into the public eye?  I can't even begin to imagine what they've been through and they have my deepest sympathy.

12 minutes ago, Tap said:

If the parents were any way involved, why would they keep bringing it back into the public eye?  I can't even begin to imagine what they've been through and they have my deepest sympathy.

They made up their story and they have to stick by it. Continued denials of their involvement are in their own best interest.

Why was Madeleine's DNA found in the trunk (boot) of their car? Why did an Irish couple report seeing a man carrying a 3-4-year-old girl near the beach at around 10 p.m. and give a description that was very close to Mr. McCann?

All the same, this isn't something I've given any thought to for years. But the idea that the British government would continue to allocate money to this investigation when the police forces are apparently starved for funds already is quite disturbing.

2 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

They made up their story and they have to stick by it. Continued denials of their involvement are in their own best interest.

This is the core of the whole story and why there is so much interest.  The whole thing, whatever the truth, plays like a detective story.  If this were a TV show, we would be sure that the parents did it. But the fact neither of them has cracked, after years and  endless questioning, no selling each other out (remember the prisoners dilema?). Many theories, many tantalising factoids that you cant quite explain away but also dont quite seal the deal.  There is still milage in arguing over it now, years later.  A kind of ultimate cliff hanger.  Sad of course, but understandable.

In a way similar to Lord Lucan.

Its like Tales of the Unexpected but in real life.

9 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Why was Madeleine's DNA found in the trunk (boot) of their car? Why did an Irish couple report seeing a man carrying a 3-4-year-old girl near the beach at around 10 p.m. and give a description that was very close to Mr. McCann?

I would imagine a child's DNA would be found all over a car, that's the nature of children.  Gerry McCann is an average sized man, a lot of men in a holiday area are going to look similar in height, weight and clothing.

I believe that if they were guilty, they would have faded into the background by now, but they haven't, they've said they'll keep looking until they find her.