Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

1,309 posts in this topic

Yes. They went to the resort restaurant about 50 meters away and did leave the children alone in the apartment.

The new "suspect":

"may speak German and be aged between 20 and 40" "has short brown hair, is medium height and is clean-shaven"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2458355/Madeleine-McCann-suspect-Police-promise-revelation-Crimewatch.html#ixzz2hg2uKpEF

That description would fit about how many million people?

I do hope for the McCanns that there will be results at some point in the near future. Yes, they were reckless in leaving their small children behind all on their own. They have been punished more than enough, though. I believe that most parents have done things and then looked back, thinking that it was a pretty stupid thing to do and could have resulted in tragedy.

I think more than the guy being a suspect, they want to eliminate him from the enquiry. If you kidnap a child, do you really walk about the streets with her? Interestingly they made no mention of the info they got from mobile phone use, which is really what is going to provide evidence. I am putting my money on it being a planned job with them knowing the apartment already - security was obviously poor - and just waiting for the right moment. Mr. Murat phoned a Russian briefly that evening and his mother's alibi is not convincing at all. Was it the first crime in that flat? The sniffer dogs obviously found something that has been completely ignored or covered up before the McCanns even arrived.

Thank goodness there's a place where all the would-be detecterives and busybodies can congregate and witter away at each other without knowing or adding anything.

People love a good 'little girl snatched' story. http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/kidnap.asp it's a trope that dates back decades - so who can resist a real life version?

British detectives investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann have flown to Portugal and spoken to local officers, Scotland Yard has said.

Last week, Portugal's attorney general's office acknowledged they had formally received a letter of request from the British authorities for assistance in their enquiries.

It was reported that the request concerned assistance to arrest three suspects who were carrying out burglaries at the Ocean Club complex in Praia de Luz, in the Algarve, where the McCanns were staying.

BBC

Internet troll who targeted McCanns found dead in hotel room days after fleeing home when she was revealed to be behind online campaign of vitriol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2781377/BREAKING-NEWS-Internet-troll-targeted-McCanns-dead-hotel-room-days-fleeing-home.html

Please forgive me for not reading the previous 62 pages, but I'm baffled as to why this cold case is still ongoing.

I can understand the terrible pain that must be felt losing a child, but I have my doubts about the honesty of the McCanns.

All the time other people are being investigated, it takes the gaze away from them.

There are approximately 50 children abducted every year in the UK, so why has this case been given special treatment?

Since the case opened, it has cost the Metropolitan Police nearly £12 million.

There is a "new" suspect, yet all they have is " said to resemble a photofit of a man", "according to", "sources claim", "allegedly linking new evidence",

"could have been part of a paedophile ring". Lots of conjecture, but nothing else.

is said to resemble a photofit of a man

I am reluctant to consider any involvement by parents, without proof.

I do think they feel despair and guilt for leaving the children alone, and it has become

an obsession.

But do parents of missing children ever give up hope?

The Jamie Bulger case can also be considered as special treatment in terms of its ongoing coverage so it is not just a matter of giving up hope.

Many years ago..my daughter was 5 and we went to Mallorca together  (just the two of us ) and I got chatting to a Spanish family with a child. The father and mother at our hotel invited my daughter (through me) to go with them and their child somewhere (can´t remember where ). It was fine and all worked out. Maybe I was naive and it could have been a nightmare..perverts etc..but it wasn´t. I stayed at the swimming pool area for a  couple of hours till they came back.

You never know..and I am just glad I have not been through this nightmare.

Red: I hope and believe parents of missing children never give up.

Tor: you might be right...dunno.I hope that is not the reason.

24 minutes ago, tor said:

Because she is a white, cute, blond, girl.

Because both her parents are Doctors, educated, mix in the right circles and have been able to raise funding for a very effective media campaign. If she was from say a working class family from Liverpool or Barnsley ...

What I find extraordinary is after this well publicised case, people still leave their toddlers / young children alone - two couples that I know have done this in the last few months. 

29 minutes ago, john g. said:

Many years ago..my daughter was 5 and we went to Mallorca together  (just the two of us ) and I got chatting to a Spanish family with a child. The father and mother at our hotel invited my daughter (through me) to go with them and their child somewhere (can´t remember where ). It was fine and all worked out. Maybe I was naive and it could have been a nightmare..perverts etc..but it wasn´t. I stayed at the swimming pool area for  couple of hours till they came back.

I went to Mallorca with my parents when I was 9.  I got pissed off about something and ran off and the tour guide and everybody was looking for me.  Meanwhile, I had managed to find my way back to the hotel and asked for the key and was just hanging out in the room.  My mom said gypsies could have kidnapped me but I was a fairly ugly child so I doubt it.

I think the media coverage of the case has continued like Tor said, because she was cute, blonde and white but probably also because her parents have the means and influence to continue pushing.  The odds of her being found at this point I think are low but there have been cases where children have been rescued years after being kidnapped.

29 minutes ago, French bean said:

Because both her parents are Doctors, educated, mix in the right circles and have been able to raise funding for a very effective media campaign. If she was from say a working class family from Liverpool or Barnsley ...

I said it in far fewer words :}

Leon: you were not an ugly child.Who got you that in your mind? NO child is ugly.

32 minutes ago, French bean said:

If she was from say a working class family from Liverpool or Barnsley ...

Her mother is from Liverpool. No idea if she had a working class background. 

1 minute ago, john g. said:

Leon: you were not an ugly child.Who got you that in your mind? NO child is ugly.

Ahahah, you haven't seen my photos.  I was not very handsome.  Maybe not very ugly either but definitely not one of the better looking

3 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

Her mother is from Liverpool. No idea if she had a working class background. 

I thought they were Irish, I suppose coming from Liverpool is close to being Irish.