Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

1,309 posts in this topic

When the story broke the British press was all over the Portuguese, as though our own legal system was superior. Given our own well-publicised accounts of miscarriages of justice, who are we to judge? Is it possible that the Portuguese were right all along?

This btw is a thought I never dreamed I'd have during the early years as I did believe the parents. It may be that they are still innocent. But it pays to retain an open mind and not judge a foreign legal system as though our own is the best.

The reason I was absolutely fucked in the early years with my kids is because I watched mine like a hawk. Would I ever dream of leaving them alone in an apartment even 100m from me? Nope.

Still a sad business whatever the truth.

I mourn the loss of a young girl's life as much as the next guy (in fact, I probably empathize more than most, since I have a son the same age as she was when she dieddisappeared), but how likely is it that some creepy, mysterious Dago is going to break into a house not 150m from a busy restaurant and go to the time and trouble to drug the 18-month-old twins (how would he even go about that?) before turning his attentions to the three-year-old girl? Their whole story just sounds completely unlikely to me.

My son is turning 4 in a couple of weeks and has never been left alone without supervision by us, a relative, or a babysitter for a minute of his life, whether he's awake or asleep. Even if they aren't directly responsible for her deathdisappearance (which I doubt, for the reasons I've described), at the very least, the McCanns deserve to be convicted of child endangerment. They've committed the perfect crime and now get to live off the generosity of others for the rest of their lives, while they continue to seek justice - just like O.J. Simpson. Maybe they can all go charity golfing together.

Yep, if children impede the lifestyle you want to have (e.g. going to a restaurant as adults only while on vacation), then please don't have them.

Alternatively, if you are a doctor with 3 kids, presumably you have the means to bring an au pair on your vacation.

I agree it was child endangerment.

Then jeffo - if you never had a baby sitter as we never did you must be as worn out as us (or at least I!) :)

Sometimes it ain't easy, Jez - my (widowed) mother-in-law just turned 80 and can't really handle a toddler any more, my (divorced) parents are both still in California, and my brothers- and sister-in-law here in Germany all still work. But fortunately we have good friends here - and yes, the occasional babysitter - who help us out.

I agree with you, gail. Blaming them without evidence, instead of supporting them, when they've lost their child, is wrong.

I believe them when they say it simply didn't occur to them that something like this would happen. It didn't occur to the people they were eating dinner with, either. They were all on vacation in a resort, not thinking about the worst thing that could possibly happen. Some parents are naturally more paranoid and some more trusting and relaxed. It doesn't make them bad parents. I am really surprised by the number of people who think they may have harmed their daughter. There is no reason to think so.

If Elizabeth Smart had had her own bedroom, and her sister had not been there to witness the kidnapping... I can imagine the blame and doubts and lack of support for her parents, when they would have needed it most.

These people need empathy, love, and support, just as any of you would, in a similar situation.

If Madeleine was kidnapped, focusing on the parents and their mistake of not hiring a babysitter took away from figuring out who really took her.

to be fair I would also have assumed in their position that the kids were safe in the room (i assume they had a baby alarm thingy in the room?)

When all said and done all parents have done it.Left their children alone.You have too, its a part of letting your kids grow up.The thing being is you have a tendancy to do that in familiar surroundings.We have been on holiday all over Europe and there is no way in a strange place would i leave my young children alone.Shit we took them everywhere with us especially to restaurants because that is a part of their upbringing too, how to behave and eat and order at a restaurant.

I mean when i was younger you could walk in to any house on the street during the day no one locked their doors but as the times change you have to change with them.There is no way such young children should have been left alone.What if a fire had broken out and you could not get to the children?

I'm not phobic about remembering who says what here on TT, but the great majority of folks seem to believe that walking/taking your 7-10 year olds to school (in a city of 3+MM) is the sign of a helicopter parent.

All my German relatives go camping (with a trailer). Every one leaves their children in the trailer and goes to a central fire to drink and talk. For hours. Because one does not keep children up after 8 pm and these things go to 2 in the morning.

Why is that different than what the McCanns did? They were at a restaurant 150 m from their locked room in a resort. If it caught on fire, they would have been in it.

This is victim blaming.

We have been on holiday all over Europe and there is no way in a strange place would i leave my young children alone.

Even if you were with a group of friends, your kids were just yards away and you were checking them regularly, and your friends were also doing the same with their kids? Some people can let their guard down on holiday, especially if they're in a group.

I'm pretty stunned at the amount of sanctimonious replies on this thread from people who condemn the McCanns as irresponsible parents. They made a mistake, and for that mistake they are paying the greatest price of all, the loss of their child.

There is no point in speculating on their involvement in her disappearance, no-one here can possibly have any insight in to that, and maybe you should all be reminded that the judicial systems of all countries in the west are based on the principle of innocent-until-proven-guilty.

There may still be a glimmer of hope for the McCanns if the following two stories are anything to go by.

Jaycee Dugard abducted for eighteen years from age of eleven. She just wrote a book of the ordeal and it sold 175,0000 copies on the first day of sale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_of_Jaycee_Lee_Dugard

Elizabeth Smart kidnapping

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Smart_kidnapping

It's a tough, stomach-turning book, but I think it's pretty important. Predators, by Anna C: Salter. "The insight and advice in Salter's book comes from the horses mouth -convicted sexual predators whom she has interviewed in large numbers and at length. She knows what they look for and how they operate. You should,too". Dr.Laura C Schlessinger, author of Ten Stupid Things Parents Do To Mess Up Their Kids.

Damn scary read.I am going to so careful who my kids see and where they go in the future.

Madeleine McCann 'spotted in north India'

The parents of Madeleine McCann are awaiting the results of a DNA test after a young girl suspected of being the missing child was spotted in India.

Kate and Gerry McCann's team of private investigators say they are working with police in the northern city of Leh which lies in the state of Jammu and Kashmir. It’s the northernmost state of India and is situated mostly in the Himalayas.

They were alerted after a British woman spotted a girl with a couple that she thought to be Maddie who would now be eight years old.

I cannot imagine how or why she would've ended up there.

Backpacking holiday?