Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

1,310 posts in this topic

This wasn't an accident. It wasn't even a misshap. It wasn't even negligence on the parents side.

Gideon, are you seriously saying that you think it is perfectly okay to leave three toddlers unsupervised? I cannot believe any sane person would think that this isn't clearly being negligent. It's tough to watch out for three toddlers, and something can happen even just in the time it takes to step out of the room to go the bathroom. Forget about kidnapping - it only takes a couple of seconds for a kid to swallow and choke on a button, or fall down stairs, or slip and hit its head.

And according to the Beeb, there was ample opportunity for these people to have made arrangements at the resort for someone to care for the children while they were out. There is simply no excuse for having left them, regardless of how close the restaurant was.

Its childcare services include a creche with an outdoor play area, and nannies who organise supervised activities for children.

There is also babysitting, and a "dining-out" creche service in the evenings for children aged four months to nine years - parents eating in the resort's restaurants drop the children off and pick them up later.

maybe i am being cynical i have a feeling that the newspapers are waiting in the background to buy the parents story once the child is found. the big question is will the parents sell there story ?sadly these days money rules.

Gideon, are you seriously saying that you think it is perfectly okay to leave three toddlers unsupervised?

In other contexts I would agree with you. But in this specific case, as no accident has happened and as they were 50 yards (could someone actualy get the right distance) and in view of the apartment, and the time of the incident, and based on my personal experience I find it hard to critisise to the severity you do at the moment.

The button swallowing scenario isn't realsitic whatsoever, well obviously not as it's about an abduction not a death, that sort of thinking isn't rational and leads to paranoia. The parents may well have not left the place until the kids were well into deep sleep, to be honest there isn't enough info to know. They may also have been doing this for a week, and have perfected the routine. The kids I guess would have been in cots, so the fear of them getting up and walking around is less.

The most you expect is to get back and find the wee one stood up in the cot crying. A guilty enough experience for most parents, but not one which is in any means shocking nor in any way out of the ordinary. But when we had the kids in the Algarve, they were out and about so much sea sand and whoopee, a hand grenade wouldn't have woken them, and I guess these were the same.

The kids were as unsupervised as mine when we used to sit in the large garden in our old house. I guess such a holiday complex with its intimate relaxed feeling leads a parent say "lets let them sleep in their own beds, nothings going to happen we're only outside" quicker and easier than you think. Being lulled into a false scense of security is the most I would throw at these guy's. But there again, I've yet to have read of such a thing happening before in the area, with all the millions of tourists who visit there.

I wouldn't trust you to look after a gerbil.

I am not surprised as there are people on this topic that are probably like you in that they probably take more care of their pet gerbil than they do their children.

You've never seen us with our children, so how can you judge? And if the NSPCC is your guide to parenthood I would suggest investing in cotton wool futures now, and I'd be looking at long term futures at that.

Hey Tiggi, gideon, billybob and moonboot – do you take drugs?

I was just wondering what type as maybe I could take what your taking and I wont give a shit about the kids also.

let's put a twist on this,

Accidents happen with parents present. One of my cousins 2 year old got run over by one of their trucks in their own garden, both parents were there, they watch their child die. Another story- A man standing out side the car, kids in the car playing, one kid accidently locks the doors (dad has keys in hand) but child puts car in neutral, they are on a slope down by the river- car rolls into river, kids drown. Dad stood there watching. Is that negligence? Is it a bad unfortunate accident?

When I was a kid, my parents used to sit in the backyard of the house, while we were sleeping, having a beer with the neighbours (whose kids were sleeping in their own beds), the front doors were not locked (its Canada)... anything could have happened, but it didn't. Were they lucky? Who knows, hindsight is always 20/20.

I was just wondering what type as maybe I could take what your taking and I wont give a shit about the kids also.

*yawn* Do you realy think that's even worth commenting about in any fashion than utter disgust.

And if the NSPCC is your guide to parenthood I would suggest investing in cotton wool futures now, and I'd be looking at long term futures at that.

And of course you know better than them. You should write a book on the subject. It should be quite a laugh especially with the drugs you're obviously taking.

Gideon, are you seriously saying that you think it is perfectly okay to leave three toddlers unsupervised? I cannot believe any sane person would think that this isn't clearly being negligent. It's tough to watch out for three toddlers, and something can happen even just in the time it takes to step out of the room to go the bathroom. Forget about kidnapping - it only takes a couple of seconds for a kid to swallow and choke on a button, or fall down stairs, or slip and hit its head.

While sleeping? All the reports I have read state that the children were sleeping while the parents went out to eat. How many stairs have you fallen down while asleep?

And of course you know better than them. You should write a book on the subject. It should be quite a laugh especially with the drugs you're obviously taking.

Stop it now, you're just being silly. Or would you like to personaly meet and I'll describe the feelings you have when your kid is in hospital after an accident? The irrational guilt, the what if scenarios, chance and fate. For you to sit there, a coward behind the keyboard and insult people like you do here is rather upsetting for those concerned. Don't forget parenting is the most personal responsibilty a human being will ever undertake. You've had your rise now please let it be and add to this thread in a constructive manner such as others have done on both sides of the argument.

Um, newsflash for MPIChaos - kids wake up.

True story: When my brother was three years old, he got out of his bed while my parents were sleeping, went outside the house, got into the car which was parked in the driveway, released the emergency brake and sent the car rolling backwards into the street. Luckily there wasn't much traffic at that hour of the morning and so he wasn't hurt, but you can imagine how panicked my parents were.

I'm not going to hurl any abuse at the parents in this particular situation. I'm sure they are devastated; and as gideon said, I suppose it's easy to be lulled into a false sense of security.

But then again, most people would say it's stupid to leave your handbag unattended in a bar. And I'd say leaving your three young kids alone in the house is a major lapse in judgement.

Stop it now, you're just being silly. Or would you like to personaly meet and I'll describe the feelings you have when your kid is in hospital after an accident? The irrational guilt, the what if scenarios, chance and fate. For you to sit there, a coward behind the keyboard and insult people like you do here is rather upsetting for those concerned. Don't forget parenting is the most personal responsibilty a human being will ever undertake. You've had your rise now please let it be and add to this thread in a constructive manner such as others have done on both sides of the argument.

Check through the threads I was the one personally attacked first - now you telling me to stop it just because you don’t like it. What are you a hypocrite?

I read some stories in Canada where the children have awoke in the night and let themselves outside with the door shutting behind them in -40 degree weather. Some have died and others have lost limbs with the frostbite. This is really tragic stories but could be avoided with childproof lock doors.

What are you a hypocrite?

Oh do show me where I have personaly attacked you. Then at last the rest of Toytown will know where your level of sensitivity is, and treat you accordingly and fittingly with kid gloves. I just feel you're way of the mark and trolling for attention. Bye.

Boo hoo. Why aren't I accused of being on drugs too.

BB When you lose an argument, and then resort to personal attacks, then you come across as a sad git. I wonder does the NSPCC handbook have anything to say about avoiding appearing as a sad git? How about the bible?