Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

1,309 posts in this topic

I think you might have mis-read the post? I took it as they wouldn't expect to have the children out that late.

Quiet right I completely got that wrong. I appologise and have editted.

I and others have argued that the NSPCC recommendations are idealistic and unachievable. Its pointless you going on about the NSPCC recommendations being the holy grail of parenting until you address those objections.

And you did come across as very vindictive with your baseball bat, and rather idiotic when you couldn't even remember making it, and sad when you then try to claim its a figure of speech.

So I make a figure of speech and you take it literally.

yes.

And you also argue against the NSPCC recommendations.

where?

to quote statistics like "a child can smother in 4 minutes..." (or whatever it was) so a child should never be left alone is fine and dandy but if you live in a normal German house with 4 floors then you could be 3 floors away and not hear bug from your smothering child... Would that also be seen as irresponsible? I mean if you are wathcing TV or listening to music then you may well not hear a crying child in your own home.

Exactly. When I babysit small children, I check on them every half-hour when they are sleeping (which many parents view as excessive and don't do themselves, but they are not mine, so I prefer to be cautious). When there is no baby monitor, they are effectively alone in-between - with the parents' full knowledge and consent. In most of these scenarios, I am one floor down working or watching TV. So should someone be observing my movements with intent to abduct, they could theoretically wait until just after one of my checks, climb up, jemmy open one of the bedroom windows and sneak off with a child. Particularly if said child was asleep/gagged and TV was on, I might not know anything about it until my next check. Rather similar to this story, in fact. And I know I would be absolutely devastated and blame myself for the rest of my life. So what should I do, people? Stop babysitting and never have kids of my own? Put them all in one room and stand guard by their beds at all times? Even using a baby monitor, you don't necessarily hear it when you yourself are asleep, showering, etc.

Essentially, all these guidelines describe a perfect situation in an ideal world. You follow them as far as you can but have to adapt them to the reality of your own circumstances. I'm not condoning what these parents did - I think it was very unwise - but it is a sad fact that even with the best will in the world and taking all possible precautions, you cannot always prevent the unexpected. Particularly if someone is intentionally conspiring against you.

So what should I do, people? Put them all in one room and stand guard by their beds at all times?

Well this is a good plan, but to be absolutely sure, you should be wearing a gas mask in case the assailant throws in a can of disabling gas before overpowering you and abducting the children. And a suit of armour so they can't shoot you with a sleep dart. Oh and become a martial arts expert, and carry a gun.

Just make sure the gun isn't loaded in case junior plays with it. No that's not going to work, what use is an unloaded gun against a determined kidnapper? Oh the dilmena! Does anyone have a solution?

I just think its an insensitive time to condemn the parents. the above cut from the opening post is rather cruel IMO.

Don't you have any sympathy for the child?

Don't you have any sympathy for the child?

yes.

where?

Well you are symapthising with the parents whose actions were against the NSPCC guidelines.

@BB

the child is possibly already dead - is it true that you would be happy with this since it would serve the parents right?

So should someone be observing my movements with intent to abduct, they could theoretically wait until just after one of my checks

This happened in the UK some while ago. Some sicko took a little girl from her bath while the parents were in the next room and a neighbour found her naked and screaming in the street a short while later. This sort of shit happens, you can never prevent every accident, or prevent every bad thing from happening.

Still, the parents of the girl in this story, IMHO, did not take all reasonable care. There was no adult in the flat, the kids were alone and very young. This one could have been prevented and the parents share some blame for that lack of preventative action or error of judgement.

Well you are symapthising with the parents whose actions were against the NSPCC guidelines.

yes, I guess I'm more sympathetic than you. they made a bad mistake. at the moment I'm not thinking too much about what mistakes they actually made, and how to punish them, rather I'm thinking about them getting their daughter back safely. right now it's all about Maddy.

I don’t know if anyone heard this story but last year someone lost there child in IKEA north of Munich, they then alerted the admin. Who then immediately ordered all exits closed. The police arrived and they searched the building and found the little girl alone in the men’s toilets with her hair cut short and dressed in boys closed. Sorry to inform you but it is a sad world out there. Sure some accidents are unavoidable but this one in Portugal was.

If only the rest of the world was as perfect as the wise people on TT, all problems would never occur. There would be no crime as it would always be prevented due to the superb foresight of the wise ones. No accidents or errors would occur. Child thieving nutcases would have no chance under the watchful eyes of TT. The guilty parents would be prepunished in anticipation in fact of there lack of foresight ways.

Oh TT in the sky save us from out poor misguided ways

Always give us the forsight from the future to the past you have

Punish the innocent and free the guilty (as they would not have done it under the watchful TT view)

Sure some accidents are unavoidable ...

This wasn't an accident. It wasn't even a misshap. It wasn't even negligence on the parents side.

[adminabuse]Hey billybob is it true you are a cunt and a fucking wanker because alot of people say you are and having read your post I now believe them. Only a fucking cunt would write that.[/adminabuse]

you are the one talking about baseball batting the parents of a child who has just been kidnapped/raped/murdered

That was out of order, BattalionBoy. Billybob is a kind and caring father. He has always been generous and watchful of my kids when they are around, and he doesn't deserve this sort of remark from you.

Do the NSPCC guidelines mention kindness, common sense and the ability to adapt to changing circumstances as prerequisites for childcare?

Because frankly, BattalionBoy, given the aggression, blind fixation on one set of rules and complete lack of sympathy and humanity you display on this thread, I wouldn't trust you to look after a gerbil.