Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

1,310 posts in this topic

I would recommend baseball bat therapy for the parents.

I just think its an insensitive time to condemn the parents. the above cut from the opening post is rather cruel IMO.

I do not have any kids, but I doubt I would leave my kids at home unattended (especially at this age) to have dinner (I do realize that parents cannot watch their kids 24/7, and there are plenty of situations where they have to leave them unattended for a short time, but going out to have dinner?). But then, in hindsight you always know what was a mistake and what wasn't, and I think these parents are "punished" enough by their daughter gone missing.

This reminds me of an accident that happened in Australia in December:

Yesterday, Ms Lucas, 30, and her husband Wesley Legrand tried to come to terms with the tragic accident that happened when Kerry turned her back on the pram to take a mobile phone call.

As she talked, the five-month old's pram slid down a grassy slope and into the river, where he was found 20 minutes later.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5007200,00.html

Plenty of people said that she should not have turned her back to the baby, but so many parents do it all the time (just because you cannot watch your child all the time), with the difference being that usually nothing happens.

No praying to invisible entities, but I did spend a week putting up posters, door knocking, searching and advertising in papers. The advertisment in a local paper reuinited us.

You do realise , don't you that your cat wasn't really "lost" ...

post-449-1178536756_thumb.jpg

Yup have 2 daughters aged 13 and 10, and there is no way me and my wife would go out for a meal either without taking our daughters or making sure we had a responsible babysitter.That is what responsible parents do or not?

Wow! I was a legally certified babysitter at age 12. We were allowed to take the government course at 11 and a half and then allowed to babysit children of all ages at 12 for any amount of time.

Prior to this my parents paid me a small amount to babysit myself of which the money was promptly deposited in my savings account. They started it gradually when I was 7 leaving me home while out walking and rewarding me if it went successfully which meant I was given a task to complete in the time they were away (usually learning a new piece on the piano or writing a story). They gradually increased their time away and I was given more responsibility as I earned it until I could be trusted to stay alone for an entire evening (probably around 10 and 11) . If I were to have done something "bad" the priviledge of babysitting myself (and the associated payment although small but still significant at that age) would have been taken away from me.

IMO it was an excellent way to teach me responsibility. My parents didn't do it for their convenience or to avoid having to find a babysitter, they did it to teach me and it worked well. I was also an only child which I assume helps because I wasn't influenced by others to get in trouble, I understand when you get a few kids together they can come up with some pretty crazy ideas, a child on it's own isn't in as much danger of that. I guess some kids are more mature than others as well.

You do realise , don't you that your cat wasn't really "lost" ...

No, I have no idea what you mean by that. Care to elaborate?

Police have just extended the search to a 15km radius.The longer it takes the slimmer the chances.The press appear to being kept in the dark by the police.According to Sky News 4 minutes ago

No, I have no idea what you mean by that. Care to elaborate?

Ask Jesus , I'm not listening anymore...

ER - they started with that when you were about 7, and you were most likely in their eyes a responsible kid. This story is about toddlers left alone.

That said, I was babysitting at 12 as well. I think it's part of the NA culture, especially in areas where kids are brought up with chores and working around the house.

I just think its an insensitive time to condemn the parents. the above cut from the opening post is rather cruel IMO.

I don't agree with you, I don't give a shit about the sensitivities of these idiots - my sympathies are entirely with the child and what she might be going through now. If the parents cared so much they would not have left the children alone in the first place and all this would have been totally avoided. I don't see whether you have children or not has anything to do with this story.

fair enough.

enjoy using that baseball bat.

You don't leave three toddlers alone in a room for any length of time. Anyone that does so is an irresponsible parent and I'll not be convinced otherwise.

And no, I'm not a parent, but I'm an adult with a functioning brain. Which is all you have to be to know that leaving little kids unattended is a bad idea.

EXACTLY georgiagirl !!! best post on this discussion.

Accidents Do happen - but she wouldn't have been taken at that time, on that night, if she was being properly looked after. Its a risk they were prepared to take - one I wouldn't have - PREVENTION is better than CURE!!!

We cancelled a little late night shopping recently as my BrotherInlaw wouldn't stay up to keep an eye on my sisters 8 and 10yr olds who were sitting queitly infront of a DVD. He needed to go to bed - she REFUSED to leave them as it wasn't worth it if anything were to happen. Anything can happen anyway - but it could be MUCH worse with 2 unsupervised kids in a large house, downstairs from a heavily sleeping man. She considered that to be them practically alone and she was right.

AND to gideon - FYI - I chose not to have children as i know how hard it is and would NEVER be prepared to leave them while i ate elsewhere!!! So never think all those without kids don't know how it is - i KNOW EXACTLY how it is, which is why i dont have any!!! I'd have stayed in the apartment with them. And since I would rather NOT do that (OR have them out till 10-11pm with me, when they should be in bed) i never had any.

Supervised child - LOWER risk

Unsupervised child - HIGHER risk

simple!

enjoy using that baseball bat.

I don't understand where did I write I would be using a baseball bat - I thought people using this forum are supposed to understand English.

I think these parents acted pretty normal in that situation, and probably had been doing so for quiet a while. What would have been the difference from 50 metres away from the apartment (in a holiday complex, which does make you feel secure) and 15 by the side of the pool next to your holiday villa laughing and joking with friends, (but not directly next to the childs bedroom). The evil and strange twat who stole the child can easily do so in both circumstances. A dead tierd toddler is used to being moved around so much they dont generaly make any noise whatsoever. In both circumstances you'll never ever forgive yourself. You'll need years of counceling to just to function normaly ever again.

It is a question as always of balance. Parents shouldn't allow irrational fears to stop them and their children living normaly. Normaly children do not get nabbed from holidayhomes. In fact I'd have at a guess that most child abductions are due to divorce cases. These parents wieghed up all the controlable factors and there are plenty who do the same on holiday, as other posters have said here. Fate as it seemed had other ideas.

I personaly wouldn't do what they did. I would feel rather uneasy. But these guys obviously made sure everything was alright. They just hadn't counted on abduction. Lets hope the wee un turns up OK.

I don't understand where did I write I would be using a baseball bat - I thought people using this forum are supposed to understand English.

If it wasn’t for the fact of orphaning the other children I would recommend baseball bat therapy for the parents. Some people are too stupid to have children.

Exactly it was figure of speech and even then it doesn't say I will be the one using it.

I would recommend baseball bat therapy for the parents.

oo so you wouldn't use the bat yourself you'd just recommend someone else to. ok.

But these guys obviously made sure everything was alright.

Are sure about this? It doesn't look that way to me.

Sorry, you were making such good ground until then, but your lack of experience then became blazingly obvious, especialy considering that the wee uns would have been up and playing the whole day at the beach! That late isn't acceptable and even a possible bed time for a two year old!

I think you might have mis-read the post? I took it as they wouldn't expect to have the children out that late.

oo so you wouldn't use the bat yourself you'd just recommend someone else to. ok.

So I make a figure of speech and you take it literally. And you also argue against the NSPCC recommendations.