Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

1,310 posts in this topic

Personally, the video plea and tears caught my attention, something doesn't seem quite right especially with the mother. The "she's lovely" at the end struck me as really misplaced... like she couldn't think of anything more to say.

I guess there's no standard or typical response for a mother after her child has gone missing like this so I'm just internet-chair judging but I'm sure I would be pleading and franitically begging for information, advice, ideas.. . using any media attention to ask for serious help. Turning up to prayer service and filming a short 'spot' for TV which doesn't give any information or request any action (apart from peoples thoughts) just seems bizarre. I was more frantic than her the last time my cat went missing.

I hope the parents are under suspicion either way, anyone that has anything to do with the situation should be... and of course maybe their slightly-off reaction is just their way of dealing with the shock. Hope the little girl is found soon.

Can those who are participating in this discusion please let it be known if they have children? (leagl ones living with them.) Otherwise this will go the usual route of the Childless and Clueless about parenting 24/7 spouting the usual rubbish to those who have years of experience of being a parent, and have a good idea of how to do it as best you can.

You don't leave three toddlers alone in a room for any length of time. Anyone that does so is an irresponsible parent and I'll not be convinced otherwise.

And no, I'm not a parent, but I'm an adult with a functioning brain. Which is all you have to be to know that leaving little kids unattended is a bad idea.

And looking at the photo from the N.O.T.W. i reckon that the view to the apartment is seriously restricted.When all said and done i hope the little lass gets back safely and that its a lesson to the parents involved and all parents.You just cannot be sure enough.Shit happens as has been mentioned.It also states how the community rallied together.If the police say the suspect has been observing the family then they will more than likley have previous form or are well known to the police there.

BattalionBoy, do you have kids? Have you ever spent an extended period looking after babies or toddlers?

Whatever the guidelines say you should or shouldn't do in an ideal world, unfortunately adults also continue to have needs while caring for children (such as going to the loo, having a shower, getting some sleep). Perhaps you could explain just how you think these needs can be met while complying exactly with your precious guidelines - particularly for single parents?

To return to the actual topic - maybe they were unwise, but the practicalities of trying to eat in a restaurant with a 3 year-old and two 2 year-olds are fairly prohibitive - these aren't tiny babies, they are toddlers who need their sleep and are sure as hell not going to get it in a noisy, brightly lit environment. At that age, they are also mobile and into everything. Taking them into the restaurant wouldn't be doing them, their parents, or any of the other people there any favours. And given the restaurant's close proximity to and view of the apartment, the fact that it was all within one holiday complex and the parents' regular checks, they probably thought they were on the safe side. Parents are only human and make bad judgment calls like everyone else - occasionally with disastrous results.

I was more frantic than her the last time my cat went missing.

did you pray too? did you get the cat back?

Yup have 2 daughters aged 13 and 10, and there is no way me and my wife would go out for a meal either without taking our daughters or making sure we had a responsible babysitter.That is what responsible parents do or not?

I don't have children. Letting children breathe air polluted by motor vehicles is also a bad idea. Solution: If you have children live on a remote island or up in the mountains.

Sometimes perfection is very hard to acheive, and one gets the impression from Gideon that he's a bit jaundiced by childless people who know exactly what other parents are doing wrong.

I don't have any children of my own but since Gideon has adopted me (it's an on-off thing) I feel that I can stomp all over this thread. So there.

Can those who are participating in this discusion please let it be known if they have children? (leagl ones living with them.) Otherwise this will go the usual root of the Childless and Clueless about parenting 24/7 spouting the usual rubbish to those who have years of experience of being a parent, and how to do it as best you can.

Sorry Gideon, don't see why having 'legal' children should make anyone more or less qualified to talk about the care of them. There are multitudes of bad, terrible, sick, violent, twisted, fucked up, unstable, emotionally barren and pathetic parents out there. Almost anyone can have a child.. it doesn't make you an expert in parenting at all.

Personally I'd take the advice of someone bright and intelligent who has an interest in child care over some idiot who only qualifies biologically.

Sometimes perfection is very hard to acheive, and one gets the impression from Gideon that he's a bit jaundiced by childless people who know exactly what other parents are doing wrong.

You know me well... ;)

See the post above.

The point as far as I see it is that there was a babysitting service available which the parents choose not to use. From that picture of the area they surely couldn't clearly see their apartment. It's not just a case of parents needing time to themselves, of course they do. But they should have done it more responsibly and used the service that was so easily available.

Can those who are participating in this discusion please let it be known if they have children? (leagl ones living with them.) Otherwise this will go the usual route of the Childless and Clueless about parenting 24/7 spouting the usual rubbish to those who have years of experience of being a parent, and have a good idea of how to do it as best you can.

do you have kids?

If a few people who have kids had the understanding that many people who don't have kids have of the level of commitment the little blighters need then this sort of crap would happen a lot less.

did you pray too ? did you get the cat back ?

No praying to invisible entities, but I did spend a week putting up posters, door knocking, searching and advertising in papers. The advertisment in a local paper reuinited us. :)

M.A.M that is a weak arguement.Car pollution.What has gone on here could have been prevented.Common sense did not prevail in this situation its running along the lines of serious neglect whichever way you look at it.

The advertisment in a local paper reuinited us.

Damm clever cat that, read the newspaper and realised it was time to go home!