Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

1,309 posts in this topic

To be fair, the parents weren't "out on the razz"; they'd gone out to eat dinner. I fully understand the parents wanting to get away from the kids for a while, and I'm sure many of the other diners at the restaurant would have appreciated that decision as well. But a creche or babysitter would be the more obvious choice than checking up on them once every hour.

The parents were in a rstaurant two hundred yards awayand the holiday complex does provide baby sitting services. I can't beleive these parents are intelligent enough to be doctors as I don't beleive they are qualified to be parents even. I think to leave children that young alone is even against the law in most countries,

situations admittedly not exactly the same but there was great sympathy for the mother on the thread about the kid losing fingers to an escalator - those claiming she ws irresponsible were firmly put in their place by people claiming it was impossible to keep an eye on a kid at all times. Tone seems to be different here though

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) advises that no child should be left alone under the age of twelve. These children were two and three Even a short stretch without a parent or another adult around can be distressing and lonely for a young child. Most eight to thirteen year olds, even if they feel happy about being left, may not be ready to cope in an emergency.

They also say that never leave a baby or toddler alone, even for a few minutes. There are many dangers in a house for an unsupervised child. Leaving a child who is asleep is not a good idea, either - he may wake up and try to come looking for you. Also, being alone in the dark can be terrifying for a small child.

I can't find the BBC story any more but last night they had an article which really lifted my spirits and gave me hope regarding this 'random' abduction of a helpless child. About 20 villagers, inlcuding children, joined together with the parents to search, pool resources, investigate pray to the Catholic God asking for the return of Madeline.

No one mentioned why God allowed Madeline to be taken in the first place, but everyone knows he does these things sometimes to punish people for various sins so that's reasonable enough right there.

And by spending some time explaining the situation to God he can sometimes be enticed to change his mind... and then it all turns out OK. No wonder the BBC were as happy as me to see this flurry of activity and dedication by people who, without God, probably wouldn't have been so quite so supportive.

The couple tearfully thanked the community for their support and the mothers profound statement to the press was "Please continue to pray for Madeline. She's lovely."

It's only a matter of time before someone prays hard enough and the good lord returns Madeline. And hopefully everyone will keep looking in the meantime, just in case God has hidden her somewhere cunning as a test.

Here's the link: Search continues for missing girl.

On Sunday Mr and Mrs McCann attended a Catholic church service to pray for their daughter's safe return. Later a group of 21 villagers met the McCanns in their apartment to say the Rosary together.

Tourists and expatriates also attended an Anglican service at Praia da Luz, and prayers were said at the church in the family's home village of Rothley.

Speaking after the Mass, Mr McCann told reporters: "We continue to hope for the best possible outcome from this for us and for Madeleine."

A tearful Kate McCann said: "Gerry and I would just like to express our sincere gratitude and thanks to everybody, but particularly the local community here, who have offered so much support.

"We couldn't have asked for more. I just wanted to say thank you. Please continue to pray for Madeleine."

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) advises that no child should be left alone under the age of twelve. These children were two and three Even a short stretch without a parent or another adult around can be distressing and lonely for a young child. Most eight to thirteen year olds, even if they feel happy about being left, may not be ready to cope in an emergency.

They also say that never leave a baby or toddler alone, even for a few minutes. There are many dangers in a house for an unsupervised child. Leaving a child who is asleep is not a good idea, either - he may wake up and try to come looking for you. Also, being alone in the dark can be terrifying for a small child.

Aaah, the modern age where human beings are mollycoddled until they are 27 years old and grow up like wet blankets. Get some perspective here. This is a one off event. Parents leave their kids all the time to get a quick meal in these sort of places. Especially when they have a view of the apartment door. Check out hotels like Club Mark Warner. Resorts with a constant procession of parents going backward and forwards from the restaurant to their rooms to check their kids. All of you posting here about "drinking" parents (all the reports I have seen talk about a meal) want to believe the worst of the parents and the situation they put their kids in. Daily Mail readers the lot of you.

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) advises that no child should be left alone under the age of twelve.

What a load of rubbish, unless obviously this only applies to "at night" - then I agree with that. Twelve though is too late an age to start to encourage and develop independance and responsbility. We often leave our eight year old alone for a couple of hours DURING THE DAY. And have left him in charge of our four year old for 20 mins in order to get milk or such.

I don't think these parents were stupid. There also is no evidence that the were drinking alcohol at the time. They obviously had done this before and had a routine. Crickey every 30 mins is more than you check when you're at home!

All of you posting here about "drinking" parents

Two (2) posters in all.

How is a single mother going to have a shower or even go to the toilet if a baby should not be left unattended for more than 3 minutes? The child could choke, burn itself, drink bleach, and injure itself in a hundred other unspecific ways in the 20 minutes a typical shower might take. And she would hear nothing over the sound of the water.

Well I guess single mothers are sinners anyway so we don't care about them. but what about nice respectable married woman who'se husband is away on a business trip. How does she shower? If she doesn't she'de be pretty stinky when her husband comes back after a 1 week business trip. what a connondrum.

I found all that difficult, MAM. I actually took the baby into the bathroom with me if he was awake, went through babyphone batteries like crazy. Then again, I had a friend lose a baby to SIDS, so I was (am) paranoid.

I think it's unfair to condemn the parents right now. at the moment the important thing is that their daughter is safely returned to them.

think they deserve a bit of sympathy at the moment.

agree with Moonboot. In fact I would go futher and say the parents did nothing wrong. The kid's didn't set themselves on fire, drink poison or even worse have a pillow fight and wreck the place. The child was abducted by a third party in what is considered a safe enviroment. The Algarve is pretty respectable after all.

Why is it that some posts here seem to contradict the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) guidelines? Are you saying that the NSPCC is incorrect?

Well B.C. they had a view of the apartment door and went to check in every 30 minutes.Something is not really right here.How can someone walk in to an apartment and carry a child out,i presume,and walk off without being seen?I am not sure i have heard how long the parents were away!Going for a meal 1 hour 1.5 hours or longer.Is there any proof that the parents actually did go back and check on a regular basis?Can anyone verify this?Are there witnesses.What i do not understand is that as it says on Sky news the police have a major suspect then what is happenning along these lines?Too many ifs and buts here

To avoid such grief I would myself would follow the NSPCC guidelines rather than just hope that something bad doesn’t happen and then attend church services to pray afterwards when something does happen like those stupid twats are doing right now.

Well B.C. they had a view of the apartment door and went to check in every 30 minutes.Something is not really right here.How can someone walk in to an apartment and carry a child out,i presume,and walk off without being seen?I am not sure i have heard how long the parents were away!Going for a meal 1 hour 1.5 hours or longer.Is there any proof that the parents actually did go back and check on a regular basis?Can anyone verify this?Are there witnesses.What i do not understand is that as it says on Sky news the police have a major suspect then what is happenning along these lines?Too many ifs and buts here

there's lots of info on all the news sites. the parents were eating with friends 50 yards away from the flat. they could see the flat from where they were. an intruder (who'd presumably been watching the family & learning their routines) broke open an out-of-sight window and snatched the child.

NOTW have a map and a small explanation of how it happened.

@ BB do you have children yourself?

Yes and if a car mounts the pavement and kills your child while you're walking, then you can feel guilty by exposing it to danger by leaving the apartment. what if a meteorite strikes the playground. Sometimes shit happens and the parents are not at fault. Millions of parents leave their children in such a situation without incident.

Regarding the NSPCC guidelines, rather than aspiring to perfection, you have to just be reasonable. My dilemna about a woman on her own taking a shower does contradict the ISPCC guidelines. So either the ISPCC gidelines are too strict, or single mothers shouldn't shower.

From the BBC:

Mr and Mrs McCann, both 38-year-old doctors, had been dining in a tapas restaurant a few hundred yards from the apartment on Thursday evening.